Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

Originally Posted by kschachn
Probably because this is what I get.

Wait, do I have to pay a membership fee to get a lower price?

Yes. Note "Preferred Price" notation on my screen shot. That costs $20 per year....near the same cost as driving to the store several times each year for oil and filters. Or just stock up one year and go 3-4 years without paying for membership.
thumbsup2.gif

Oh geez. I simply help correct the price and you are trying to turn this into a "look my oil is cheaper" thread. Well, I'm not playing.

Sorry for the hijack, harryj.

Not at all JLTD, I find it very interesting. There's an oil for everyone, I happen to want to use the best oil I can get. Don't tell Amsoil, but I would pay double for

their superb oil.

Originally Posted by harry j
Not at all JLTD, I find it very interesting. There's an oil for everyone, I happen to want to use the best oil I can get. Don't tell Amsoil, but I would pay double for their superb oil.

Mum's the word. How do you think the new formulation compares to the old?

The new formula (that is said to exceed GM's new Dexos 1, gen 2 specs) cleans better than the old formula. That is why the lead increased in my Civic
and then is gradually going down as the residual is being removed. The motor now with 529,000 miles, runs so quietly that you can barely hear it.
The gas mileage jumped up 3 or so MPG. On a recent trip to Clinton, MD The Civic averaged 44.7 MPG on the highway. That was 407 miles and
only 9.1 gallons of regular.

Everytime I use a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner, the copper level goes up next UOA, has anyone else noticed that?

Interesting observation. I have a few bottles that I just picked up from AAP since they were on sale. Will have to wait until closer to my oil change and see if copper increases. Lol.

The new formula (that is said to exceed GM's new Dexos 1, gen 2 specs) cleans better than the old formula. That is why the lead increased in my Civic
and then is gradually going down as the residual is being removed. The motor now with 529,000 miles, runs so quietly that you can barely hear it.
The gas mileage jumped up 3 or so MPG. On a recent trip to Clinton, MD The Civic averaged 44.7 MPG on the highway. That was 407 miles and

What was the cruising speed for the trip? That's some pretty good gas mileage.

Artem it's good to hear from you. I kinda miss Florida, lived there in the West Palm Beach area for 33 years.

Cruising speed was between 65 and 70 MPH as traffic allowed. I must of had a bit of a tail wind to help out.

The overall gas mileage for the trip was 42.2 MPG.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Nope. Try redline si-1 next time maybe or gumout regane.

Good idea Marco620, I will do just that, the redline si-1 will have to wait though.

I am not adding anything this interval to confirm my prior observations of elevated copper.

Thanks ...

The new formula (that is said to exceed GM's new Dexos 1, gen 2 specs) cleans better than the old formula.

In this case though, "exceeding" the spec means it violates a limit, right? Not "exceeding" it by being better.

Maybe just maybe it actually exceeds it by lower wear that could be shown by say cam wear limits?? Or timing chain wear limits being lower than a Dexos approved oil??

Or it could also be it exceeds the SA limits set by Dexos... Which is true.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The new formula (that is said to exceed GM's new Dexos 1, gen 2 specs) cleans better than the old formula.

In this case though, "exceeding" the spec means it violates a limit, right? Not "exceeding" it by being better.

I see what your getting at kschachn, the new formulation of the Amsoil 0W-30 Signature series oil betters (is superior to)

the new specifications from GM (Dexos 1, Generation 2). Please do some research, and get back to me.

Ah yes Garak, this oil will never be approved for Dexos1, gen2 due to higher than specified Sulfated Ash level. Even if it did, the expense of certification is steep.

I'd like to close this can of worms now lol

Reactions: 4WD
Back