G3 being replcd by 4G/VOLTE (and more), what's your next phone gonna be?

(Did I use the right terminology below?)

VZW is halting G3 service by Dec. 2019. ATT halting it 2020 or 2021, iirc.

5G rolling out bigger in 2019 onward (that's gonna take forever I'm guessing, due to all the many smallish antennas they're gonna be installing everywhere).

So with 4G/VOLTE becoming the standard soon, and with 5G rounding the bend after that, what sense does it make to currently upgrade one's 4G/VOLTE phone, since it won't do 5G? Apple isn't touching 5G until 2020.

Also, so anybody with a 3G (think almost every flip phone, early iPhones, etc.) phone on VZW whose phone doesn't do 4G will be hanging by the thumbnails when 3G service ends next year. Ouch. AT&T will offer more time but that's winding down too.

I was recently looking at a new iPhone XR, but with 5G aways off in the distance, there's no way this makes sense now. I'll just keep using my Galaxy S4 instead of throwing all that money away on a brand new phone that's already obsolete. So really, every phone out there, new or used, is obsolete.

These upcoming markets are hopefully gonna see an avalanche of new products real soon now. I know I'm gonna wait.

You're one of the ancient ones with a S4. Most people tend to upgrade after a year or two, maybe 3 or 4 tops. I know someone who likes to get the latest iphone every year.

5G will just be an extension or bandwidth densification of 4G LTE. Back in the day, when Verizon was rolling out LTE, calling it 4G LTE; AT&T repackaged their 3G service (HSPA) and began to call HSPA+ 4G. 5G is what is going on here.

With that said, if you get a new phone, it will of course be very relevant when 5G is the new hot thing.

If they don't make another small Iphone like the SE I wont be buying any, when it dies I'm done with smart phones and will use my old Nokia chocolate bar or none at all. I had one big smartphone and never took it with me so whats the point, the bigger they get the more useless they become.
Get a module for you laptop then you can have a 17" phone.

I heard that as well. I've been using a samsung gusto 3g flip phone. I really don't want a smart phone but i just had verizon order a motorola g6. If i hate it i will just have to buy 4g flip phones on the secondary market.

5G is about much higher bandwidth, much lower latency, and a much higher density of endpoints - think millimeter wavelengths for the ultra high bandwidth. Consumer cell phones will use 5G, but not in the millimeter wave. Most cell phones will use the normal 700Mhz-1900Mhz spectrum and will enjoy several hundred Mb/s down. The uses of ultra low latency 5G will be interesting to watch develop.

Moto E4. Battery lasts for days. Hope it will last me til 5G. I'm sure Boost will be sucked into the TMo morass. Hopefully affordable 5G phones will be there waiting for me when that happens. Don't want to spend a thou.

I feel one year is too soon. Wireless should be more regulated. my home repeater does not support 4g, and it's silly to just replace because "Verizon says so".

The Government should issue modes that the wireless carriers can use. I mean I can take a land line phone and plug it into any land line plug and it will work.

If they want to use our airwaves, then they need to abide by FCC type emissions. 3G should be around for at least 5 more years.

BTW, my "copper" landline STILL sounds better than a cell call. We need a nation wide FREE OPEN wifi network if these companies are worried about data.

Last edited:
I have a Nokia 6.1 and it has VoLTE and VoWi-FI with any network. It is a cheap phone, I recommend it if you want something new (has android 9) and not everyone has one.

It is too early to be considering a device now for 5G. Mostly because there aren't any.

I'd expect 5G rollout to be slow, and focused in large cities first.

If you want to replace that ancient 6 year old phone, do it. If you find it slow, its not because of the 4G network it's on. 4G LTE is pretty [censored] fast.

5G will take years to roll out (like 4G did). 4G took 3 years to completely roll out, and that upgrade was not nearly as complex as 5G is. There was no need for a microtower at every pole....

I work for a telco..im still using my refurb Note 5... Phones are literally 1500$ now without a contract...no thanks. Will keep using what I have. What is different from my note 5 and a new one? Not much..a bit faster, more ram, better camera? Duno..just know its not enough to justify 1500 on a phone. Will buy a nice big screen tv for that price instead or add insulation to my attic lol..

Bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 AI direct from China a few months back.

I have to say it's probably the best £120 ($US 160) I've ever spent! Being over 60, I'm not massively into phones & have never once felt the urge to own an iPhone (or anything whatsoever from Apple for that matter).

Xiaomi seem to be one of the few Chinese OEMs that are consistently able to offer decent quality kit at truly budget prices. Deffo worth a look IMO.

PS - it has VOLTE on both SIMs if that's what you're interested in....

Last edited:
I'll be hanging onto my iPhone SE until I'm forced to part with it. This technology crap is like crack. I heard rumor the 2 latest iPhones and galaxy phones will be 5g capable.

I don't understand what 4G, 5G, VoltE, etc... is/are. All I know is I have a Samsung 7 phone (only because I ran over my Samsung 6 with my truck) and my wife is still using her Samsung 6. Admitting up front that I'm pretty technically deficient, what does this mean, if anything , for us going forward. Will we have to replace our phones sooner rather than later? Or are we still good as long as our phones don't crap out on us?

4g,5g and volte is just ways your cellphone connects to the towers and wireless networks for internet, calls and text messaging. If someone is on a 3g device most likely by the time 5g is rolled out those 3g devices will be obsolete or just not supported, your wife's s6 and your s7 will be fine for a while yet. 3g network is still out there and I feel 4g/lte will be replacing 3g when 5g is fully implemented. Being both the s6 and s7 are 4g/LTE device I don't see a worry.

How it was once explained to me, LTE is a 4g network at higher data speeds. On most devices that are LTE say in a mountain region or where cell tower coverage is minimal a device will display 4g or hspa which is a fallback on a 3g network. Many Verizon or sprint devices when LTE networks are not in reach they connect to the network as 3g or even 1x still.

Last edited:
Most of my family has already changed their flip phones over to the new versions. We just upgraded to the XS Max, XS and XR but I wasn't worried about the 5G. Sprint can barely handle LTE in alot of areas! In 2-3 years we'll probably upgrade again anyways.

Thanks Oildudeny. While I don't fully understand what you offered, I get the gist.

I was perfectly happy with the flip phone I had. Great battery life and the phone always worked when I needed it to. I only went to a smart phone because of texting. Nobody seems to call much anymore. It's always a text. And texting on the flip phone was painful. I hope the Samsung phones last a good while. I'm not looking forward to replacing them given the costs of these things nowadays. I hope this threads keeps going with others offering their opinions of affordable replacement phones. There are so many out there it's mind-boggling.
crazy2.gif
Very interested in the under the radar, affordable, functional, lesser known options.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Thanks Oildudeny. While I don't fully understand what you offered, I get the gist.

I was perfectly happy with the flip phone I had. Great battery life and the phone always worked when I needed it to. I only went to a smart phone because of texting. Nobody seems to call much anymore. It's always a text. And texting on the flip phone was painful. I hope the Samsung phones last a good while. I'm not looking forward to replacing them given the costs of these things nowadays. I hope this threads keeps going with others offering their opinions of affordable replacement phones. There are so many out there it's mind-boggling.
crazy2.gif
Very interested in the under the radar, affordable, functional, lesser known options.

LG and Samsung are very good devices one never failed me unless I accidentally broken it.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I work for a telco..im still using my refurb Note 5... Phones are literally 1500$ now without a contract...no thanks. Will keep using what I have. What is different from my note 5 and a new one? Not much..a bit faster, more ram, better camera? Duno..just know its not enough to justify 1500 on a phone. Will buy a nice big screen tv for that price instead or add insulation to my attic lol..

There's usually some good discounts around black friday, I think there was about a $300 discount on Samsung S9 phones so you were in the $400-$500 range on the phone. Should last a few years. Then there are those cheaper Motorola phones, some are as low as $190 for a phone with decent specs like the Moto X4.

older i see but IMO many spend unnecessarily on many things, BUT its your $$$$. not a geek but there are many cheeper newer phones that work good enough for talk, text, + even sending pics. BUT if you "think" you need a better phone or whatever be prepared to overspend + markups on higher end products are much more $$$$

Back