Experiment time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks
smile.gif

Most here know i have balls for running a "good, service able filter"to twice the miles its rated for
wink.gif

The PP 5w30 SN+ is still in my Camry at 3,xxx miles. Went to Wal Mart this morning, spied few lone jugs of EDGE 0W40 old jug style "made in germany"

Ring up at $13 each!!

Doubt this will harm the 2AZ-FE engine and MMO has done some cleansing as some sooty, carbon flakes i saw on dipstick yesterday morning. I did 1,000 miles ago add 1/4 quart PP 5w30 SN+ and 5oz MMO. No notice able consumption yet. We havent had a rough winter yet also. Opinions, tell me I'm nuts or any thoughts are as always helpful and much appreciated
smile.gif

Last edited:
Poured about five ounces of left over MMO into my frankenbrew of MaxLife 5-20 and one quart Citgo (Harvest King) 5-30 syn about two hundred miles before my oil change. Had no idea if it did anything, just tired of seeing the almost empty bottle.

MMO says you can use it in oil up to 20% safely. I never exceeded 10%. I did it mainly to thin the 20w50 I run for the winter. Used as directed. MMO is harmless. That is the worst case scenario.. Actual usage may have mixed results. If it has no effect on the drained oil, then the engine is clean inside and needs no further cleaning beyond normal OCIs
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good afternoon folks
smile.gif

Most here know i have balls for running a "good, service able filter"to twice the miles its rated for
wink.gif

The PP 5w30 SN+ is still in my Camry at 3,xxx miles. Went to Wal Mart this morning, spied few lone jugs of EDGE 0W40 old jug style "made in germany"

Ring up at $13 each!!

Doubt this will harm the 2AZ-FE engine and MMO has done some cleansing as some sooty, carbon flakes i saw on dipstick yesterday morning. I did 1,000 miles ago add 1/4 quart PP 5w30 SN+ and 5oz MMO. No notice able consumption yet. We havent had a rough winter yet also. Opinions, tell me I'm nuts or any thoughts are as always helpful and much appreciated
smile.gif

Lauren's 2018 Lexus GS currently has 6.7 quarts of Valvoline SynPower 5w40 MST in it, no noticeable difference between that and the 0w20 it was originally filled with. Although I see no need to run a 0w40 or 5w40 in this car it was available in the stash and more than suitable for 5,000 miles. I wouldn't hesitate to run Edge 0w40 for 10k in her car, and I may once we've used up the free dealership service. I just installed 5 quarts of it in a VW that will go the full 10k, it's a VW502 Porsche A40 and BMW LL01 oil, use with confidence, but don't dilute it by mixing or with MMO.

If you're brave enough to run it a full 10k I'll donate a UOA free of charge (postage to the lab is on you) to contribute to the community.

I gather you're talking about running Castrol 0W-40 for 10,000 miles in a 4 cyl Camry. That engine should be easy on oil.

I use Castrol 0W-30 in my BMW (as that oil is LL-01 rated). The BMW oil monitor recommends a change every +/- 20,000 Km (12,500 miles). The BMW takes just over 5 litres/quarts of oil on a change. So you're talking about doing just about what my BMW oil monitor suggests.

So it should be doable.

But I don't do that. The head of the repair shop at the BMW dealer suggested replacing the oil at the half way point (without resetting the monitor) to better protect the top end. I used to do that, but as I'm putting on so little mileage these days, I change the oil a bit more often than that, on a quasi time-based basis.

As a minimum I'd suggest doing a UOA after this first long run before making it a practice. And it would be safer to do one run at 7,500 miles (with a UOA) before going for the entire 10,000 miles (with a UOA).

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I gather you're talking about running Castrol 0W-40 for 10,000 miles in a 4 cyl Camry. That engine should be easy on oil.

I use Castrol 0W-30 in my BMW (as that oil is LL-01 rated). The BMW oil monitor recommends a change every +/- 20,000 Km (12,500 miles). The BMW takes just over 5 litres/quarts of oil on a change. So you're talking about doing just about what my BMW oil monitor suggests.

So it should be doable.

But I don't do that. The head of the repair shop at the BMW dealer suggested replacing the oil at the half way point (without resetting the monitor) to better protect the top end. I used to do that, but as I'm putting on so little mileage these days, I change the oil a bit more often than that, on a quasi time-based basis.

As a minimum I'd suggest doing a UOA after this first long run before making it a practice. And it would be safer to do one run at 7,500 miles (with a UOA) before going for the entire 10,000 miles (with a UOA).

Uhh, no way in hades am I running any oil 10k in a 2AZ-FE with their design problems. Don't know where you got that assumption from. 5-6k is my comfortable level.

The PP 5w30 SN+ is still in my Camry at 3,xxx miles.

I stopped reading the rest at this point. You aren't thinking of draining this, are you?

Originally Posted by Linctex

The PP 5w30 SN+ is still in my Camry at 3,xxx miles.

I stopped reading the rest at this point. You aren't thinking of draining this, are you?

Probably not until 5k as up here where i live we have "winters"

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Good afternoon folks
smile.gif

wink.gif

Ring up at $13 each!!

smile.gif

Lauren's 2018 Lexus GS currently has 6.7 quarts of Valvoline SynPower 5w40 MST in it, no noticeable difference between that and the 0w20 it was originally filled with. Although I see no need to run a 0w40 or 5w40 in this car it was available in the stash and more than suitable for 5,000 miles. I wouldn't hesitate to run Edge 0w40 for 10k in her car, and I may once we've used up the free dealership service. I just installed 5 quarts of it in a VW that will go the full 10k, it's a VW502 Porsche A40 and BMW LL01 oil, use with confidence, but don't dilute it by mixing or with MMO.

If you're brave enough to run it a full 10k I'll donate a UOA free of charge (postage to the lab is on you) to contribute to the community.

Luke: i think i learned some pushing a 10w40 oil to 10k. I'm learning more about the 2AZ-FE enginea and sweet spot for OCI is 5-6k

point well taken
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex

point well taken
smile.gif

smile.gif

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Good afternoon folks
smile.gif

wink.gif

Ring up at $13 each!!

smile.gif

Luke: i think i learned some pushing a 10w40 oil to 10k. I'm learning more about the 2AZ-FE enginea and sweet spot for OCI is 5-6k

I think you are right Captain... 5-6k is a great way to go. My lady's Camry sees 3500-4500 miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back