Gift for young Army Cadet

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy's 17 year old son was just promoted to Sergeant in the Royal Canadian Army Cadets. He may join the militia or enlist in the Canadian Armed Forces next year. Is there some sort of gift that might be appropriate for military achievement for the young fellow? Input from US military Veterans is more than welcome.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
My buddy's 17 year old son was just promoted to Sergeant in the Royal Canadian Army Cadets. He may join the militia or enlist in the Canadian Armed Forces next year. Is there some sort of gift that might be appropriate for military achievement for the young fellow? Input from US military Veterans is more than welcome.
smile.gif

A copy of Starship Troopers (the book).

Flag case...

Have the flag flown somewhere special,
then folded and put in in the case,
and gift it...

Every young lad who is fit to be in the service, wants a motorcycle. Don't believe me, tell him you're getting him one, see the smile on his face, then tell him you're getting him a flag instead. If he keeps smiling he is being polite and deserves the motorcycle. If he stops smiling he proved my point.
wink.gif

Now if you're asking for input from US actives or veterans, get him as many guns as you can lay your hands on.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
smile.gif

A copy of Starship Troopers (the book).

I was thinking the phone # of a pretty girl . But Starship Trooper is a great idea too .

A book about the Candians' involvement in WWI and WW II. The Canadians' have a very rich history of their immeasurable contribution in Europe in WWI and WWII, and there are numerous books that discuss the battlefields, etc.

Fine suggestions so far. We all know "more is better" when it comes to gift suggestions.
We're simply "brainstorming" this one so let's spit out thousands of ideas..

Something specific to his specialty. A book not included in his curriculum, for example
Reloading equipment for any specific caliber he needs to qualify on.
Piece of equipment commonly overlooked by his trainers (if any-if allowed).
A different brand of Sun screen or moisturizer....some work better than others.
A half maple leaf-half heart tattoo anywhere on his body
An oil change for his car
Offer to shelter his car if sent away

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I was thinking the phone # of a pretty girl . But Starship Trooper is a great idea too .
One of my high school teachers was a officer in the Canadian Army (captain at the time) and he introduced me to that book when I was about that age. It's pretty important for all men to read. Especially the part when Rico reads Zim's letter about the hump! Everyone can relate to that!

Originally Posted by E150GT
A nice watch
Good idea: Seiko auto diver.

Last edited:
How much you willing to spend?

If he's a reader, any of the books may be good. I've read both Starship Troopers and had to read "The Art of War" as a cadet back in the day.

The good rugged watch is always a win if he wears a watch. The knife is almost always a good gift.

How Gung-Ho is the young man? Is he the type to go into one of the combat arms branches like Infantry, Artillery, Armor (sorry, is that Armour in Canada, LOL.) Or more of a support role such as Signal/Communications, Logistics, Medical, or any of the many supporting roles.

It really depends more upon his interests and your budget.

If one is worried about him enlisting and then getting trapped by one of the many enterprises that prey on young service men and women outside bases (we see that in the US, less than honest car dealerships signing up a newly minted soldier, or even young officer to buy a car for outrageous terms) maybe something that will help educate him on how to live modestly. Some Dave Ramsey books and/or The Millionaire Next Door.

Not saying he has to be a barracks rat, never going out and doing anything. But he doesn't need a $500+ / month car payment and insurance and then never has any money because it's all going to the bank and insurance co.

Not sure how things work in Canada, but suspect human nature is pretty much the same internationally and there are sellers who prey upon inexperienced young people with newly found money.

Colt 1911.

Typical American response.

How about "The Art of War" Suntzu? Sorry, already mentioned. How about "The Prince" Machiavelli?

Yeah, the car/motorcycle thing can be iffy. If he's deployed it'll sit and rust. If he has on-post housing there can be parking restrictions. Too much to just make a blanket statement ...

Cool pocket knives are always - cool
smile.gif

Depending on branch, maybe a belt knife ... But, I'd also consider a gift certificate to a quality outdoor shop like REI (Canadian equivalent), let him get what he needs ...

Or, my fav - socks. His favorite socks in ten packs. I'd have killed for really good "power cushion" socks when I was humping, back in the day ...

Originally Posted by javacontour
Armor (sorry, is that Armour in Canada, LOL.)
I get autocorrected every time!
Originally Posted by javacontour
Not sure how things work in Canada, but suspect human nature is pretty much the same internationally and there are sellers who prey upon inexperienced young people with newly found money.
I have no experience but I have heard that is an issue in the US but I have never heard of it here, our military is small and the bases tend to be in cold, remote areas. I'm just a city slicker but Northern Ontario is rugged and cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back