Are there any new sedans capable of 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that the main reason that most cars don't make it to 300,000 miles is that it probably would be a pretty old car by then and people get hung up with the fact that a repair might cost more than the car is worth. There are cars that can make it to 300,000 miles, but most might need repairs such as a new transmission along the way.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Generally speaking, if you take good care of the car and drive it sensibly, have the maintenance performed on it then you will enjoy a long life with that car. Run the oil specified for that car.

The adage "they don't make them like they used to" has been debunked. Today's cars will go many miles with far less tinkering than the cars of yesterday.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Accord Sport. Nothing wrong with their CVT transmission.

The jury is still out on that, we'll see how it goes. Honda has a reputation for having automatic transmission problems going back many years. Also, belt drive CVT automatics have had a higher failure rate in heavier and higher horsepower vehicles. They are an inherently light-duty transmission design. Toyota only uses the common belt drive CVT in their lighter weight, lower horsepower Corolla (Toyota's Hybrid CVT is a totally different design).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123

The jury is still out on that, we'll see how it goes. Honda has a reputation for having automatic transmission problems going back many years. Also, CVT automatics have had a higher failure rate in heavier and higher horsepower vehicles. They are an inherently light-duty transmission design. Toyota only uses a CVT in the lighter weight, lower horsepower Corolla (the Prius CVT is a totally different design).

Would my Rx400H be considered a lighter weight low HP vehicle?

UD

Originally Posted by JNG
I will say that I am leaning strongly toward a 19 Camry LE.

If you want something larger and more luxurious, and don't mind spending the extra money, a Toyota Avalon would be an excellent choice.
BTW, the 2018-19 Camry 4cyl is supposedly getting as good or better gas mileage than their smaller/lighter Corolla.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

The jury is still out on that, we'll see how it goes. Honda has a reputation for having automatic transmission problems going back many years. Also, CVT automatics have had a higher failure rate in heavier and higher horsepower vehicles. They are an inherently light-duty transmission design. Toyota only uses a CVT in the lighter weight, lower horsepower Corolla (the Prius CVT is a totally different design).

Would my Rx400H be considered a lighter weight low HP vehicle?

UD

I should have said...
"Toyota's HYBRID CVT is a totally different design"

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I would think that the main reason that most cars don't make it to 300,000 miles is that it probably would be a pretty old car by then and people get hung up with the fact that a repair might cost more than the car is worth. There are cars that can make it to 300,000 miles, but most might need repairs such as a new transmission along the way.

smile.gif

Not necessarily. In 2001 I bought a 2wd 99 Silverado with the 4.8l. It had just over 14,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I then proceeded to put another 103,000 miles on it in 3 years. So a total of 117,000 in 5 years. I traded it in on a 4wd F150 that no one wanted because it had the base level interior trim. The Ford was very low miles and exactly what I was needing at the time. Had I kept the Silverado until 2008 when I traded the Ford in on a new GMC it would of had approximately 255,000 in only 9 years. So not old by any means. Certainly not decades old.

I am a BIG fan of Hyundai/Kias.

However, I have problems seeing them lasting 300K mi.

Plus, I can not see keeping any car for 300K mi. Cars are getting to be like smart phones, the technology is moving too fast, to keep them for long periods of time.

Last edited:

The jury is still out on that, we'll see how it goes. Honda has a reputation for having automatic transmission problems going back many years. Also, CVT automatics have had a higher failure rate in heavier and higher horsepower vehicles. They are an inherently light-duty transmission design. Toyota only uses a CVT in the lighter weight, lower horsepower Corolla (Toyota's Hybrid CVT is a totally different design).

The Honda CVT in the Accords has been around since 2013. Bazillions of miles on those cars. Sure, there have been some problematic Honda transmissions; name a maker that hasn't had transmission issues. Honda has a stellar reputation that is well earned. The AT in Hondas has oftentimes been the longest lasting part of the drivetrain; that's saying something.
And our 2018 RX450h has a CVT (see UncleDave's post) as well. Lexus cars are hardly lightweights, especially AWD hybrids.

Toyota....you should get the 2 injector per cylinder GDI in that model by now. No brainer. Just change out the crap WS early.

The jury is still out on that, we'll see how it goes. Honda has a reputation for having automatic transmission problems going back many years. Also, CVT automatics have had a higher failure rate in heavier and higher horsepower vehicles. They are an inherently light-duty transmission design. Toyota only uses a CVT in the lighter weight, lower horsepower Corolla (Toyota's Hybrid CVT is a totally different design).

The Honda CVT in the Accords has been around since 2013. Bazillions of miles on those cars. Sure, there have been some problematic Honda transmissions; name a maker that hasn't had transmission issues. Honda has a stellar reputation that is well earned. The AT in Hondas has oftentimes been the longest lasting part of the drivetrain; that's saying something.
And our 2018 RX450h has a CVT (see UncleDave's post) as well. Lexus cars are hardly lightweights, especially AWD hybrids.

Like I said...
"Toyota's HYBRID CVT is a totally different design".
Toyota's HYBRID CVT is mechanical gearing design that uses planetary and epicyclic gearsets, NOT belts.
Remember, the OP is looking for something that will last for 300k miles. IMO there isn't a belt drive CVT automatic that will last that long. Aisin gear type automatics definitely will.

Last edited:
Why, why buy new? Are you independently wealthy? Why take the hit on the depreciation ...

Fly out to LA, go CL shopping for a nice used Fusion (about a bazzillion prolly available), get it serviced at a Ford dealer on Monday and drive it home. Since there are no rust issues, as long as it was not a beach car, it'll last back there for the same amount of time as a new car and cost 1/3.

You'all have plenty used engines and tranny's to keep it going. You just need an affordable chassis with no rust holes. We generate those by the bushel.

I can't see why we are not "exporting" rust free older cars to the mid-west to run the EOL cycle in the rust belt ...

Just bought a Subaru Outback. It's built like a tank. Take care of the drive train and it should be a very good car.

If longevity is the priority, Camry is your best answer and Subaru is probably the worst answer on your list. IMO High mileage Subies have more than their fair share of mechanical issues. Head gaskets, transmissions, etc.

I'd say almost any new car properly serviced and cared for will go 300,000 miles, how well it does it is another subject.

I do not get the Toyota love around here.

Originally Posted by JNG
[/quote]

Not necessarily. In 2001 I bought a 2wd 99 Silverado with the 4.8l. It had just over 14,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I then proceeded to put another 103,000 miles on it in 3 years. So a total of 117,000 in 5 years. I traded it in on a 4wd F150 that no one wanted because it had the base level interior trim. The Ford was very low miles and exactly what I was needing at the time. Had I kept the Silverado until 2008 when I traded the Ford in on a new GMC it would of had approximately 255,000 in only 9 years. So not old by any means. Certainly not decades old.

That's 28,000 miles per year. Where the heck are you going?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
This isn't criticism but observation. If driving 12 K per year it takes 25 years to go 300k. How old are you? Unless for work commuting I don't understand why many people want to spend a lot of time going to other places in their little machines on wheels. Sitting in the rolling machine in a seat on a road all that time. In my case if I bought a car at 16 and died at 96 it would have about 320K on it. It's interesting that some people seem to sort of brag about how many miles they drive, as if it's better. Not pertaining to OP at all, just observation. Another way to keep a car newer is to drive it less.
That's totally a criticism or else you wouldn't have needed to try to hide behind a qualification like that, twice. Nice try though. Who cares how long or far people drive? Not everyone is a country bumpkin and has a three mile commute, round trip.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I'd say almost any new car properly serviced and cared for will go 300,000 miles, how well it does it is another subject.

I do not get the Toyota love around here.

It's called reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back