Headlights improve, but base models leave drivers in the dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reflector halogens on the F150 are awful. You need to go to 502A Lariat package to get LED from factory.

Replacing with LED bulbs is a big improvement. I would like to see them go back to offering projector housings on XLT trim.

I have the Halogen bulbs on my 2017 Elantra SE. I prefer them. Will be easy to replace. I see fine. Was an improvement from previous cars. In city/county driving there is a lot of light from street lamps, etc. The problem with those headlights that provide more visibility to the driver can be blinding to oncoming traffic.

I mostly drive on the freeway or in the city, so no real complaints here. One thing I really like are both cars have fog lights and auto high-beams so that helps with night visibility a lot, I think they're both HIDs too.

The headlights are great in my base model Sonata. It's supposed to take 9005 bulbs, but I bought 9011 bulbs and trimmed them. They're great!

Originally Posted by oldhp
I just wish 1/2 of them would adjust their headlights correctly, that would be a good start.

Not even sure how you adjust the Ford Friday Night Lights ... (F250) ... they shine 180 degrees coming towards you ... but I found my projectors reach down the road better driving side by side with a super duty ...

Seems like many vehicles have the lights aimed too low from the factory. My Versa Note the fog lights were aimed a good "two turns" down, hardly worked in fog, and now they work great.

If I was getting a new car, I would have the dealer set the aim to the "upper limit" with an aiming machine.

The lights that originally came on my brother's 2016 JK were worse than what was on his late '98 Blazer.

He's running Quadratec brand HID lights now. We switched them out in about an hour if that. Well worth the investment IMO.

Yo, Nick1994, You said, "...supposed to take 9005 bulbs, but I bought 9011 bulbs and trimmed them."

What did you trim? I'm thinking an alignment (orientation) notch or pin.

My wife's 2018 Tiguan with halogen are really good. Howver economies of scale maybe allows VW to put effort into design with this being the #4 selling vehicle in the world.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
The reflector halogens on the F150 are awful. You need to go to 502A Lariat package to get LED from factory...

The Ford LEDs also suck. From the IIHS article:

Domestic manufacturers, in general, have room for improvement, especially when it comes to pickup trucks. Poor-rated headlights are the only ones available on Ford's popular F-150 and Chevrolet's Silverado 1500, for example. That is also the case for the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon and Nissan Frontier.

"Pickups are proportionally more likely than cars to be involved in fatal single-vehicle run-off-the-road crashes. Better headlights might help reduce crashes like these at night," Aylor says.

Originally Posted by madRiver
My wife's 2018 Tiguan with halogen are really good. Howver economies of scale maybe allows VW to put effort into design with this being the #4 selling vehicle in the world.

Actually it is the supplier that puts effort into this. The car company usually puts pressure on suppliers to reduce cost. Economies of scale do matter, thus high profit, high volume lines, like Toyota Camry get far more attention to design than say Nissan. Nissan also treats it's suppliers really poorly, demanding price cuts to the point where suppliers loose money.

There is a reason the lowly Toyota Corolla has luxury LED headlights.

So, on much product, the supplier just has to make sure it meets minimum regulatory spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
One thing I really like are both cars have fog lights and auto high-beams so that helps with night visibility a lot, I think they're both HIDs too.

That works for you, but when I'm night driving I'd prefer to have two (well-engineered) points of light coming at me rather than four.

I drove to Houston for a couple of days for work recently and for the first time since buying my car I felt like my headlights were inadequate. I guess their street lighting sucks

I agree. The 22 year old beautiful all glass headlights on my 300ZX totally blow away the plastic headlights on my Accord.

I had a rental Corolla LE and was blown away by the LEDs. Easily the best headlights I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
The headlights are great in my base model Sonata. It's supposed to take 9005 bulbs, but I bought 9011 bulbs and trimmed them. They're great!

I did the 9011 mod on my Elantra and it turned the garbage headlights into passable ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
Yo, Nick1994, You said, "...supposed to take 9005 bulbs, but I bought 9011 bulbs and trimmed them."

What did you trim? I'm thinking an alignment (orientation) notch or pin.

You've just got to trim the plastic tabs so they look like your original ones and they'll pop right in. You can use wire cutters to trim them. Here's a picture I found online.

84FD72A0-9073-43B1-80E1-D229B0399086.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back