My brother bought this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Camry SE with 45k miles on for $15K with everything; The car was a Hertz rental car originally with clean car fax;
His old '11 Camry with 180K got totaled the other day.

So what's the take of BITOG community, is it a good deal or not so much!??

drEeEfWjROSkZ%SAjWMmVQ.jpg

FGTONvRTQfWXLxE2SfAlPg.jpg

JKWkViJhQti0XfdwzWEtFg.jpg

I think it's reasonable for the price.
Most ex-rentals that are still under warranty usually cause very little/no problems for those who end up owning them.

My MIL's last two cars were ex rentals. Neither of them needed any warranty work/had any noticeable damage from abuse during their time as rentals.

That doesn't sound like a bad deal. However, rentals are not something I would purchase personally. They have a reputation for being romped on.

I don't know all the details but he says the car is just in great condition

and his totaled one; he was lucky no scratch to him thank God!

IMG_0420.jpg

Originally Posted by Colt
I wouldn't buy a rental, dealer demo or loaner.

In 2006 we bought a dealer demo Corolla as a car for the kids.

It's got 200,000 miles on it. Still being driven by one of the kids.

It's led a hard life, in the hands of teenagers, who can't be any better than rental drivers.

Never had even one major problem.

As long as he got a good look at everything, it's probably a descent deal. It looks great. I would have likely bought it in his situation. He needed a ride immediately. If it gives him trouble, he can drive it until he finds something else.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Colt
I wouldn't buy a rental, dealer demo or loaner.

In 2006 we bought a dealer demo Corolla as a car for the kids.

It's got 200,000 miles on it. Still being driven by one of the kids.

It's led a hard life, in the hands of teenagers, who can't be any better than rental drivers.

Never had even one major problem.

Seen that with my buddy's civic as well...

That's a good deal. No turbo, no CVT, no DI
happy2.gif
(a lot of people on here are very anti-CVT)

And the Camry is a great car that can handle even rental life
smile.gif

Love my Hertz and got my girlfriend (Optima) and daughter (Accent) into Hertz rentals as well. Absolutely no problems with any of them. Much cheaper than Enterprise which gets close to $2000 more (at least in the HQ St. Louis area). Almost any one year old basic car at a dealership is a rental return anyway. If they're three years old they're lease returns and the chance of someone not servicing a lease* is greater than Hertz at least skipping oil changes and basic service.

*Although I have been told that some lease returns are checked for service records-- also heard that's BS.

My Sonata was a rental. I bought it in 2017 with 52k miles for $10k, 89k miles now and other than 2 headlights bulbs, it's been flawless. Not even brakes or tires yet (came with new tires).

It was probably driven nicer as a rental than I drive it... Guaranteed.

Being that Hertz is a higher priced rental, less idiots end up in their cars. Good deal.

Rental's are not my cup of tea, I much prefer little old ladies driven on Sunday's types.....lol. Honestly though, I am increasingly of the opinion that it's not how it's driven/maintained as much as how it was designed. IMO, the majority of problems are design related. He will be fine.

Your brother did pretty good. We picked up our 2015 April '15 for about 20K, it listed for about 26K. Although it was an early model so they were wanting to move it off the lot. 22K trouble free miles so far. Boring, but reliable.

Which engine does your brother's "new" Camry SE have?
Tell him, "best of luck with it", next time you see him.

I too prefer NO CVT.

....driving IS boring, so wadday'all expect?

Hertz services their cars. They wholesale off the beaters. Hertz rental sales is a great way to buy a car.
You did well. Beautiful car.
I would service the transmission; heck I would service the car end-to-end.

I would guess that rental companies service their vehicles better than the general public . A friend of mine purchased a Hertz car and the service records were in glove box , oil change were at 4,500 miles , air filter was every other oil change . Only thing I saw with the car was a couple of door dings .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back