Sloppy steering on 2016 Huyndai Sonata Eco - normal or a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother just bought a 16K mile 2016 Sonata....1.6L DI turbo, 7 seed dual clutch auto transmission, and 3 modes of drivability....eco/regular/sport. One issue he has with it is that the steering wanders and constant small movements in the steering wheel are required. It doesn't do it as much in the Sport mode. But in "sport" you lose "one finger" steering assist which doesn't work well for his wife, who is not happy struggling to move the steering wheel when turning sharply. Tires are Michelin Energy which I gather are harder and meant for long life...and probably not as smooth on ride/handling. I already spent a couple hours researching fluid change intervals on this car....I was surprised at how many ways people do it. Even the owner's manual is a bit short on details.

He says he's done some research on the issue and it's a "known problem" for the Sonata electronically controlled steering. A few visits to the dealership that sold the car....they say it's just normal...don't worry about It. In particular he says it pulls right....which could be partly an alignment or tire issue. He's not willing to look at these as he's convinced this primarily a design flaw. If so, there probably is no 'fix.'

So anyone else have experience with the sloppy steering, a throw back to the slushy steering feel of the 1960's and 1970's? Solutions? Ways to minimize it? Yeah, you could drive around in sport mode, or get fatter/softer tires. If this is a design issue....what successes has anyone had with it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
He says he's done some research on the issue and it's a "known problem" for the Sonata electronically controlled steering. A few visits to the dealership that sold the car....they say it's just normal...don't worry about It. In particular he says it pulls right....which could be an alignment or tire issue. He's not willing to look at these as he's convinced this is a design flaw.
Even if it is a design issue, I would try to ameliorate the issue by casting aside the alignment specs like a true BITOGer. Could pulling right be caused by the wandering steering following the crown in the road? Like when you slide on a winter road with no ABS and it immediately pulls you into the gutter?

This will be a Florida only car used when they vacation (retired) there 6 months a year. Will mostly see driving around town...not so much highway....only 3K miles per year estimated. I asked him whether it does it on flat parking lots surfaces and well as crowned roads and highways. Does it on all of them.

Link to 2011 issues

The 2011 received numerous objective complaints on such a 'wandering' issue....mostly to the left....though some reported wandering to the right as well. Maybe it's been carried forward every year?

Last edited:
We've had two Sonata's. Although not sporty in the least, we never considered the steering to be an issue that stood out. I don't recall any wandering. Good luck with it.

Probably a bad alignment. I know it's not the same but I love the electric power steering in my Escape.

I had a 2013 Sonata, and it was ok, not great but ok.
2 things to try.
Swap the front tires. If that doesn't help, get the alignment checked, all 4 wheels.

In 1984 we bought a Buick Century T Type trat developed an odd handling problem that made passengers queasy. After a year and a half of many parts we were sent to another dealer who had his best tech take the car home and his responce was that we should consider buying a Volvo. Ultamately the factory rep found 3 vehicles with missing welds in the k frame. A new frame solved the problem.

It probably could use a thorough inspection of the chassis and alignment. Is it possibly this car was in a accident?

Alignment with that young of a car. A car that wanders needs more "toe-in". Some alignment guys shoot for "0" toe and sometimes depending on the car you get a wandering car. Just make sure you have some toe-in. 1/16 to 3/32 toe-in.

Check the tire pressure, but of all the vehicles I've driven I've found the Sonata and Elantra to have the worst steering feel and feedback of any other car I've driven. It's numb, provides zero feedback of input and feels like the steering wheel is connected to the rack via rubber band.

Good inputs and experiences. Thanks.

I'll recommend getting the front suspension and alignment checked out.

Last edited:
Hyundai/Kia is in last place when it comes to electric power steering in terms of feel. That and the Sonata might have a zero toe alignment
front and rear from the factory to achieve better fuel economy doesn't help.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Good inputs and experiences. Thanks.

I'll recommend getting the front suspension and alignment checked out.

Yeah, at 16k who was the first owner, Avis rent-a-car?

Somebody knows something, tug around underneath.

Check the recalls.

There was a recall on my 2011 for a Rubber gear that sits inside the steering column.

The rubber shreds ,and the steering feels very loose, and sometimes pops while going over bumps.

It is several hours for the dealer to drop the column, clean up the shredded rubber, and replace a new $1.99 gear with hardened rubber.

I forget the name of the recall but you can look it up online.

Maybe its the tires
I put a set of Kumho TA80 on the Sentra and the car tended to wander a bit on the highway requiring small steering corrections.
When they were replaced with Falken Pro G4 tires the problem went away.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
That and the Sonata might have a zero toe alignment front and rear from the factory to achieve better fuel economy doesn't help.
+1 People who complain are told by the dealer that those alignment settings are a "factory defect" just to avoid liability when using non-factory alignment specs. Could you imagine taking a new car under warranty that is wandering all over the place and being told to pound sand like that? lol.

"My car won't drive straight and is under warranty. Can you fix it, please?"
"No, that's a factory defect, cya"

Rotate the tires first and see how it does. If that doesn't fix it, it needs the suspension and steering checked out and a good alignment. It is a used car after all, who knows if someone hopped a curb with it or something.

Thanks everyone. Great summary of all the things to check. I just sent a list off to my brother. The stock 205/65/R16 tires on the Eco aren't very wide. It only accentuates the wandering. The sportier versions of Sonata use up to a 235 mm tire. If these are the Michelin Energy Savers A/S tires with a 480 AB rating, they are a bit harder than most passenger cars. But a long ways from the Michelin Defenders at 820 AB.

Last edited:
What tires on are on it.. if they are some fuelsaver eco models.. they can cause it to wonder excessively esp if the alignment is in spec but not close the the "middle" of the spec.

Originally Posted by Rand
What tires on are on it.. if they are some fuelsaver eco models.. they can cause it to wonder excessively esp if the alignment is in spec but not close the the "middle" of the spec.

I recall my brother said "Michelin Energy". So I think it's the Michelin Energy Savers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back