Schumacher XCS15 voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Schumacher XCS15 marine battery charger. It will charge on 2A - 10A - or 15A.
I put it on 2A for lawn mowers and motorcycles and charge about 1 time a month in the off season.
I always check the voltage before and after with an Innova digital reader.
Last week I check the voltage while the charger was finishing a lawn mower battery.
The Charger read 98% charged. The voltage going to the battery was 15.9 volts.
It shut off about 5 minutes later. Is this too high?

Yes those little Schumachers are battery cookers, I had the same one branded as a die hard it did the same thing sometimes 16.2v! I would recommend getting a quality charger I have a Pro-Logix PL2320 it's perfect

I don't want to hijack this thread but I was wondering what you think of leaving my car in the garage for 2 1/2 months this winter (while I'm in Florida) with a Battery Tender Junior attached to the battery?

That is not a very long time. If it were me I'd charge it up before I left and then when I got back, or just unhook the battery.

Originally Posted by pbm
Thanks 007....I'll probably do that but the BT Jr. claims that it's OK to do....

The only problem with that is that when they go bad, it will end up cooking your battery. Better to just charge it up before you go and charge it again when you come back.

I looked at the charger you listed. It is automatic for wet, AGM, and gel batteries. My first thought was my charger would charge like that but it is manual selection.
I put the charger on normal setting and it put out 15.9v. I changed it to AGM and tried again and it charged 15.3 volts. I tried a third time and set it to gel and it charged 14.6 volts. I will try a charge on the gel setting and keep a close watch on it. Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back