I have sinned - I let someone else change my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided for the first time since I can remember to let someone else change my oil. The buick century is getting towards the end of its life and I'm caring less about making sure it's only me touching her fluids and just wanted it to be done.

I took it to a place called Take 5 oil change. I called ahead and made sure that I could use my own Fram Ultra oil filter, the manager I spoke with made sure to tell me that a filter was already included in the quoted sale price of $29.99 ($13 off special normally $42.99) for up to 5 quarts of Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5w30. They would not knock any price off for bringing my own filter... I asked. They let you stay in the car and gave me a free bottle of water which was nice.

Everything went okay, they topped up my air in my tires, and also my washer fluid. Again they tried to tell me when I handed him my filter that one was already included in the price. The tech showed me the smear of metal on my gold plug and made sure to put my filter mag back on the new filter. He did attempt to open my air box but I quickly told him that I just changed that myself.

He said they have a free top up oil program which includes up to 3 quarts of oil per change, as well as they can check my tires for free too. I think that might be very useful for someone with an oil consumption issue, my Century has hardly ever used any oil most of its life but is just now starting to up to about a half a quart low per interval.

Anyways I was in and out in 20 minutes... Not bad, I will probably be going there again in the future just for the buick.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing keeping me from a Valvoline OC is the price. The flowchart they follow gives you a good fast service. I used them for the work vans . All over the place.Handed the guy the maint card and let them hash it out with the lease outfit. Exact same service no matter where I went. No horror stories.
grin2.gif

Walmart TLE has $20 oil changes using QS and a Fram filter. Just go first thing when they open which is pretty early. Plus you can watch them and not worry about upselling. They even check the oil level before starting the oil change as part of a basic inspection report. Seems to be a better option than the other quick lube places. Also Ford QuikLane is pretty good esp about not upselling.

Had a terrible experience with a local Take 5 here on a friend's F150 with the 5.0 V-8. Take 5 had serviced the truck previously with unknown oil and an Ecoguard filter. Pulled the dip stick when it arrived at my house for service, it was dry. Drained the oil into an empty drain pan, spun off the filter, and refilled. With the filter I put 9.0 quarts back in to get it back to the full mark. Cut the filter and let it drain and measured what I collected, 4.5 quarts. My guess is they pulled the plug, spun on a new filter, added 5 quarts and sent him on his way. My best guess is that he drove his entire OCI at least 4 quarts low. Follow up oil change at my house on the same vehicle, dipstick still read full when he arrived, so it's not burning oil, must have just been severely UNDERFILLED.

Granted he never checked his oil, but still, stuff like that is why I stay away from those places.

I bought a new Toyota Avalon in July of 17. It comes with free maintenance to 25k which includes an oil change at 10 and 20k. I wanted to do 5k oci so I changed it myself at 5k and let them do the 10k withTGMO. At 15k I did a change myself then took it back last week for my last free change at 20k. Later that day I checked the oil since I have a trust issue. The oil looked good but was not new. I then checked my receipt. It showed the true mileage but they had done a "25k" service which does not include an oil change. Most people would never have noticed. It may have been a mistake but I am suspicious.

I don't have a trust issue but I don't like others working on my vehicles.
I took my new Ford in for a window trim issue and they dirtied up my headliner
And made a mess of it. A real mess.

I took my then new Dodge in for a minor recall and the clerk walked me back to the shop
to drive it out of the bay and the mechanic closes my door my kicking it and as he turned
around he seen any angry ghost.... ME!
The look on his face was priceless.

I'm amazed they let you stay in the car while they work on it. That would never happen here, for liability reasons. Do you drive it onto the pit, or do they?

Originally Posted by hpb
I'm amazed they let you stay in the car while they work on it. That would never happen here, for liability reasons. Do you drive it onto the pit, or do they?

VIOC does this. Then have a TV you watch out your side window to see the tech doing the work. They also offer you water. I use their $25 coupons here and there.

The faster the oil change, the less used oil is removed. I like to take my time. But, everyone is different and it's negligible at best. Glad to hear you had a good experience. Was in mortal or venial?

Originally Posted by hpb

I drove it over the pit myself. He guided me over it. I never left the car.

Also they had me start the car after they filled the oil and changed the filter. They verbally verified with the guy on top no leaks at the plug or filter and they also re checked level after I shut it off. It is a tad under filled though I checked after I left and it sat at the gas station while I got some stuff after sitting 10 minutes it's only at the 3/4 full area or about 1/4 quart low , but thats probably my fault because I use an oversized 3980 filter instead of the 3387A standard size and they filled it by Vin capacity. I'll probably take them up on the top off thing in a few months

I have heard all kinds of stories about quickie lubes. The VIOC franchise is well thought out. With the help of a data source that knows how much oil to dispense for that particular car? The console has specs

Originally Posted by Onetor
Was in mortal or venial?

OP's Buick is >15 y.o. so I would say it was probably venial. A newer car would certainly be mortal!

Originally Posted by 901Memphis
Originally Posted by hpb

I drove it over the pit myself. He guided me over it. I never left the car.

Wow, you're lucky to be allowed inside a workshop at all here, let alone actually drive a vehicle in there!

My local Jiffy Lube is great. Took my son's 15 Escape there today for an oil change. Took my own MC 5W20 Syn Blend and STP LL filter,. They even allowed him to go down in the pit so he could see what it looks like underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back