sonata plastic fork starter failed three times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my 11 sonata since about 19k miles.

It now just turned 70k miles.

I finally found the "solution" to the problematic starter, purchased a starter with a lifetime warranty from O'reilley.

Right before I bought the car, the dealer fixed the starter under warranty by just replacing the plastic fork. Records show it was done with about 15k miles.

At 45k miles the starter failed again, so I had a local indy shop replace with a rebuilt starter. This was in 2016.

Yesterday the starter failed again at 70k miles. I live in an apartment, so I had it towed to a local indy shop. Charged me about $100 in labor to switch out the starter, and sold me a lifetime warranty starter from O'reilley.

Nice to have a local indy mechanic who is super honest. He showed me the starter and the bendix material had blown up inside the housing, as well as the fork.

Car is paid off, and I will keep it until the 120k or 10 year engine warranty expires. I have been documenting all oil changes from the quick lube and not doing them myself anymore in case this thing throws a rod bearing. I may have next oil change done at the dealer to see if they can do an ultrasound test to see if they can replace the long block. It is a noisy engine for sure, lots of clatter but does not sound bad yet.

Great looking car, and rides good, just odd problems. At least it has been cheap to fix and parts are easy to find.

Next car will be a Toyota or Lexus. I'll probably have to lift the hood less often on those.

Failed as in starter spins but doesn't engage the flywheel?

The starter on mine did that to me in May. Not looking forward to this being a regular replacement item if so...

Yes starter spins but does not make contact.

The two times it failed under my watch it was the same behavior.

My mechanic told me since this is a problematic part the only way to go is lifetime warranty on the part, so at least I only have to pay him an hour of labor to switch it out.

Does not look like a fun job without a lift, so I didn't mess with it.

Guys on youtube showed how you can rebuild the plastic fork in the starter and order the fork for $15 but why mess with that.

I thought the OEM had changed the design of the fork such that it would not fail back a couple of years ago, at least as far as factory parts are concerned??
For some reason, we (the Kia Optima community) have not seemed to have had a similar issue and it should be nearly identical engines.

Apart from that, the lifetime part warranty is a very good thing!

I've never had to work on one of them, but there must be something to what you are saying. A couple of months ago my nephew did the same repair and was bragging about all he had to do was replace the fork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back