Rear Differential Fill Plug seized trailblazer 2007 4.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another option is to get another stock cover and have a fill bolt welded in. You would just have to calculate the correct position to drill and install the drain bolt, in order to have the oil level correct for the axle bearings.

This is only $9 Get another cover from a u pull it yard.

Have it TIG welded in.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.co...a2Q9Ph9YGTcD6xZ7yT-f6sqrQ6oaAuf1EALw_wcB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Another option is to get another stock cover and have a fill bolt welded in. You would just have to calculate the correct position to drill and install the drain bolt, in order to have the oil level correct for the axle bearings.

This is only $9 Get another cover from a u pull it yard.

Have it TIG welded in.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.co...a2Q9Ph9YGTcD6xZ7yT-f6sqrQ6oaAuf1EALw_wcB
I had to do one for my 10.5 inch rear axle on the GMC in my sig, had my welder weld a bung for an O2 sensor into a new replacement cover & just swapped the covers. Fill level should be just below the axle tubes.

How hot did you get it. Heat it to red hot and it will break loose. Never had an issue with a bolt if I heated it red hot. Your probably not getting it hot enough, common mistake.

Last edited:
It always amazes me how tight people wrench these down. They are a pipe thread and don't have to be all that tight to seal and stay in place. New diff cover with fill plug is a good option, but if you do remove the plug, any hardware store should have a pipe plug with an external square drive. Pretty sure those are not metric.

Originally Posted by another Todd
It always amazes me how tight people wrench these down. They are a pipe thread and don't have to be all that tight to seal and stay in place. New diff cover with fill plug is a good option, but if you do remove the plug, any hardware store should have a pipe plug with an external square drive. Pretty sure those are not metric.

I'm pretty sure that plug was never opened before. the previous owner who I bought it from did not maintain it well at all.

just to tell you how badly it's seized, I used a 6 foot metal pipe and the extension snapped. not sure how many foot pounds that was, but I reckon around a thousand.

but this is rust belt, almost every service I've done to the vehicle I had to use the torch or had to buy completely new sets of bolts in the process.

I also love sweeping up all the rust debris at the end.

Last edited:
I can't see an extractor getting it out if a 6' bar snapped the extension. What you did worked, and a aftermarket cover is what I'd try too.

I think , maybe , leave it alone , if it is not leaking or giving trouble ? Or replace the diff cover as has been suggested .

Originally Posted by meep
I can't see an extractor getting it out if a 6' bar snapped the extension. What you did worked, and a aftermarket cover is what I'd try too.

you're right.

I'm going to leave it alone.

if I can find a cheap aftermarket cover with a fill plug, then I'll consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back