Hyundai extended my warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a letter from Hyundai today saying that they extended my warranty from five years to ten
and to put the letter with my manual and oil change receipts and any other repairs done.
I never had any problems with the car except for recalls' and nothing was wrong.
that is the 2015 sonata with the 2.4 the santafe sport I have is the same year and motor.
so they must check oil changes..good thing I have a folder for both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably due to the "Theta-Gate".

Millions of 2.4 Theta engines recalled due to failed connecting rod bearings. It was 2011-2014, but apparently 2015 models are getting some attention also. Maybe leftover 2014 engines installed in 2015 models. What color is your dipstick handle? Red is the updated short block, (revised), and yellow is the "one in question".

Doesnt Hyundai come with 10 years / 100K miles powertrain warranty?
I think our 2014 Tuscon came with 10 yr/100K!

Last edited:
Mine has yellow dipstick, I have been having oil changed at 3750 severe interval with "conventional" valvoline or pennzoil at the quick lube.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

That warranty is only for the original owner or if you purchase a used Hyundai CPO vehicle from a dealer.

Buyers of used Hyundai vehicles have the warranty reduced to 5 year/ 60000 mile powertrain warranty.

Originally Posted by ls973800

That warranty is only for the original owner or if you purchase a used Hyundai CPO vehicle from a dealer.

Buyers of used Hyundai vehicles have the warranty reduced to 5 year/ 60000 mile powertrain warranty.

Owners of certain 2.4L GDI equipped sonatas and other cars have had their warranty automatically exended on the engine only to 10 years and 120k miles, whichever comes first.

You can put your VIN into the hyundai warranty website to see this, they added an addendum to mine.

I know it's been said before, but at least Hyundai stepped up on this where other manufacturers would have kicked the can down the road.

I'll have to keep an eye on the mail to see if I get one.

Did you buy yours used or new?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Wonder if they ever discovered what was causing the failures?

Machining values and tolerances would be checked during manufacturing and if any slipped through, they might be discovered during engine assembly as fitment issues so I'd think this isn't the issue.... If I were to guess, I'd have to say they found that that metal used was not the correct quality.

I would keep using the high moly Pennzoil, but VWB is pretty good too. Wonder if they ever discovered what was causing the failures?

Engines made in Alabama? plant had issues with the blocks not being cleaned out well enough and machining chips clogged oil passages.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
I would keep using the high moly Pennzoil, but VWB is pretty good too. Wonder if they ever discovered what was causing the failures?

Engines made in Alabama? plant had issues with the blocks not being cleaned out well enough and machining chips clogged oil passages.

I've also heard that before. Just curious why it takes over 50K or 70K miles or sometimes 100K miles for this to cause any probkems!
You would think clogged oil passages should cause issues early on maybe fail under 1000 miles! idk

Originally Posted by ernied
bought it new right out of the show room.

You should have had the 10yr/100k warranty then. Unless they changed the warranty since 2014.
iirc, Ours had 5yr bumper to bumper & 10yr/100k miles powertrain.

Originally Posted by ernied
bought it new right out of the show room.

You should have had the 10yr/100k warranty then. Unless they changed the warranty since 2014.
iirc, Ours had 5yr bumper to bumper & 10yr/100k miles powertrain.

Yup, still has 5/60 bumper to bumper and 10/100 powertrain.
If you buy used, you get just the remaining of the 5/60 from date put in service.

Was the extension on the bumper to bumper part?

After a recall visit, our Santa Fe had the powertrain warranty extended to 12yrs/120k miles.

Originally Posted by JTK
I know it's been said before, but at least Hyundai stepped up on this where other manufacturers would have kicked the can down the road.

Well, the engine recall was forced upon them because a car stalling due to quick engine death is a large safety hazard.

Imagine a stall situation, a locked up engine on a freeway with no power assist brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back