FordTechMakuloco talks oil with a nice real world anecdote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Patman
Does it really matter?

Absolutely it does! isn't that why we're here? Do gain and discuss knowledge lessening engine wear via motor oils.

The middle cam lobe looks like it has chunks taken out of the outer edge:

Being it's a roller motor and the outer edge of the lobe is well outside the area ridden by the roller, I don't think that is at all applicable to the wear performance of the lubricant, which, with a roller motor, isn't much of an issue to begin with. On top of that, we are talking about a low spring pressure roller follower setup in a Modular here, it doesn't get much easier.

Does it really matter?

Absolutely it does! isn't that why we're here? Do gain and discuss knowledge lessening engine wear via motor oils.

Someone let the apprentice have at it, like said above not that it matters since the roller isn't anywhere near it.

Isn't this what we've learned in UOA after UOA ?

If there's a best oil out there it sure isn't obvious from the numbers. We've also learned that there's no particular advantage to extra early oil changes, as the product does not degrade in a linear way.

As all these UOAs tell us, a conservative but not OCD schedule is the answer. After running a couple of UOAs on my 3.7 Ford, I decided that changing when the intelligent oil life monitor got to the ‘teens (around 7,500 miles or so for me) is plenty conservative enough.

When I found out how much it cost to replace the water pump on these vehicles, I wish I had spent my OCD dollars on changing out the coolant.

I think that is generally correct jimbrewer.

As long as the oil meets the OEM specification, brand doesn't matter all that much. Some oils do have better attributes than others, but generally speaking, oils that meet all of the same specifications are going to perform relatively the same. And when you realize that there are only a handful of base oil and additive suppliers, it becomes apparent that differentiation among all of brands is minimal.

Oils like Amsoil SS/Mobil 1 EP/AP etc. are designed to run at longer drain intervals so the additive system and base oil blend is of higher quality and concentration. Conditions where oils like M1/Amsoil standout are - long drains, extreme temperatures (hot/cold).

Does it really matter?

We know that part of the cam (otter edges) is not in the wear zone area. Thanks for posting this as it shows this clearly.

I have a question about this video and that ford motor in general.

I know that those fords have issues with the timing components that I thought would come to light if the oil was NOT changed regularly .

In this case the oil was changed regularly and all the common issues like guides being broken off and (I'm assuming) worn/elongated chain aren't present.

Do these engines have timing issues even when the oil keeps the components in tip top shape like in this video?

-A

I can understand the answer that the cam wear present is not in the contact zone but rather a casting issue. Looking at that picture though I have to wonder where all those chips off the camshaft went.

Does it really matter?

I'm not saying engine wear does not matter, I'm saying does it matter what the guy says in the video or not? It doesn't look to me like any serious wear has occurred here, that's what I'm saying. So it doesn't matter what the guy says in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back