Living with an Electric Car - Engineering Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by maxdustington

I think it would be like a power tool battery. There would be different capacities for different costs. The "city" model might only have 100 km range but be really cheap or be able to charge off a simple 110v outlet or something like that.
[/quote]

I believe you can charge any of them with 110v if you so desired. The problem is that the charge rate at that voltage is insanely slow.

Regular 110V wall plug-in vs dedicated 220V install is order of magnitude faster e.g. 4 vs 41 mph

Originally Posted by Vikas
Regular 110V wall plug-in vs dedicated 220V install is order of magnitude faster e.g. 4 vs 41 mph

thumbsup2.gif

Hence the dedicated Tesla chargers which you got installed, correct?

The charging by a cord is abysmal. Hoping they come up with a method you don't have to physically plug in and out vehicle or the instant plugin charge within 5 mins(aka fuel stop)

Last edited:
I suppose one could do inductive charging but I don't know if it is really physically possible to put 100s of killwatthours power inductively and still be safe while it is pushing that power and while it is NOT pushing that power.

The dedicated Tesla charger went in yesterday 48Ampsx240V; the charging is 41 (rated) miles per hours.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The charging by a cord is abysmal. Hoping they come up with a method you don't have to physically plug in and out vehicle or the instant plugin charge within 5 mins(aka fuel stop)

Inductive chargers are out there wither some brands. Just park over it and you're GTG. IMO until induction charging becomes standardized you're not going to have significant market penetration. Theoretically every parking space would need a functioning induction charger.

Last edited:
You do not have to be a greenie. Just drive a small car like a Geo Metro.
[/quote]

Had a 1990 and 1994 Geo Metros. I loved those cars! Did not see the hate then like I do with the electric.

I have a Hyundai Kona Electric which has slightly more range than a Bolt. It's my only car and I have no complaints other than its propensity to want to steer itself around corners, 'lane keeping assist' apparently. I have no place to charge at home so just use a public charger in the next block a couple of times a week. It's very quiet and way quicker than my last ICE car and I can't imagine going back.

Electric cars have been having a hard time making it down from an upper-middleclassmen's auxillary vehicle. Until public stations become a LOT more common, and there becomes a solution for renters, road warriors, and building dwellers, this is probably the largest gap the electric car will have to cross.

A couple of years ago we bought a 2012 Leaf . We knew going into it , that it was an in town vehicle , only . No fast charging stations in our region .

Wife would go on her morning errands & come home for lunch & plug it in . She would go on her afternoon errands & plug it in ( and leave it plugged in over night ) when she returned home . That worked fine & we were happy with it , untill some one rear ended it while she was at a stop light . Totaled it .

We had a Chevy Sonic for out of town trips .

What's the likely range with the A/C on when the outside temp is 115? And how about charging when the temp in the garage is even higher? (Yes this is a totally realistic scenario.)

Also, nothing in this video about battery lifetime and replacement cost. That's probably a big reason for the huge depreciation he mentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back