Are the sprinter vans any good? I see them around delivering the amazon stuff??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by exranger06
A Quigley Ford E-Series is my dream family car/kid hauler. Unfortunately even the used ones are way too expensive and out of my price range.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

Who said anything about beauty? I said it's my dream FAMILY car, not my dream car in general. My dream car is a Ford GT. My dream FAMILY car is the most practical, do-everything vehicle that has tons of room for kids and cargo, and 4wd for driving through a foot of snow with ease. And yes, I think they look pretty cool lifted slightly. Certainly better looking than a minivan. You always have something snarky to say about others' vehicle choices, don't you? Please, by all means, tell me which vehicles you like, so I can crap all over them and tell you how much they suck.

Amazon purchased 20,000 sprinters for delivery. Many others too. I think they are just buying everything they can to get the delivery business going. We just purchased a 18 Chevy express 3500 cargo. Almost funny it is new it is so old looking. Some upgrades but same old somewhat low quality but durable, cheap and reliable. Uses a lot of gas but not much else. I hope the fixed the paint issues. The seam sealer looks like expanding foam along the top drip rail. Terrible. Rear defrost wire not connected to the window from the factory. Nice!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
The issues these vehicles have are not maintenance issues. They are poorly made and don't last in the long run.

I can't speak for the German model, but the US model is awful. These are regularly discharged in double digit numbers from fleets, while still running and driving, for scrap.

It sounds like you are onto something with US and German models. The ones I am familiar with are the German models and they have a good reputation with a very good drivetrain most commonly equipped with a 6 spd manual. It sounds like the VM 3.0 diesel from FC over there, it does well but in the USA its fraught with issues.

Could be the NA compliance in emissions and other compliance as FMVSS may have contributed to Sprinter reliability challenges in NA.

I have toured 1st the Gaffney NC plant in 2003 where they reassembled Sprinters and then the newer Charleston SC plant. Funny thing is I was in the SC plant when MB had just moved in. They were missing the AC units in the buildings, someone had come over the weekend and pulled them off the roof of the building. A prior bankrupt tenant landlord thing.

To avoid the chicken tax, they would disassemble the built Sprinters in Germany, ship the drivetrain and body in separate containers and reassemble in SC. During the tour, I pointed out to the one of the MB engineers, that the engine shipping container was failed and allowed sawdust type wood particles into the lower rad hose. Seemed not too concerned. It would have been a problem for most engines, just the way the shipping containers were made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back