Ok I take it back about Keurig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco Breakfast Blend, they go on sale every other month or so and you can pick up 120 for $29.99. Convenient, tastes great and economical. If you're worried about waste, they have the San Francisco Bay pods that don't have any plastic - they also taste good and are priced similarly.

Originally Posted by JC1

Too bad we couldn't buy motor oil grains and brew our own oil using water!!! Imagine the boards that would create.

Oh man, that would be cool.

I use the old dripper and hand-crank burr grinder myself. Simple, cheap and works about 90% of the time. I found it's better with certain coffees that are a light to medium roast.

Shaw's has decent coffee at 80/$20 or even $19 sometimes so it's under a quarter a cup.

If I use my regular coffee maker to make a small batch, it still takes ~ 4 scoops of coffee which is more than what's in a keurig module. This is wasteful and I bet the agricultural environmental impact of making coffee has its own trade offs.

I look at keurig as still being better for the environment than driving to DDs and idling at the drive-thru.

My impact on the planet is not zero and these little plastic things are part of it.
21.gif

I like the Double Diamond and the Peets Major Dickason's Blend pods. Brew at 10oz. I love my Keurig. The planet will just have to deal with it.

Originally Posted by Bud
I love my Keurig. The planet will just have to deal with it.

Same here. I use my Keurig almost every day... sometimes for coffee but mostly for hot water for tea. I love tea! As for the coffee, it's not very good, but it's "okay" - no matter what brand or type I buy it's not as good as a quality, fresh, properly brewed cup of coffee - but it's a whole lot more convenient and easier!

I'm no environmental nut, but I was horrified when I first saw the Keurig design, the first thing I thought was "unnecessarily filling our landfills".

Then I worked at a place where that was all they had, so I was forced to try it (gotta have my morning Joe). Coffee quality was all over the map, but nothing really remarkable that ever made me say "oh yeah gotta get me one of these."

Then came the chipped v.2 K Cups, and I said "oh yeah here comes the vendor lock-in". Well consumer blowback was so fierce they had to give up on that!

Then came the mold recalls.

Yeah, still not buying one.

I have the Nespresso system and the convenience is great. However Nestle keeps raising the prices of the pods. I decided to buy whole bean and a press pot. I've cut my coffee costs over half and the coffee is better.

☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

My biggest beef about these pods (aside from the waste matters already addressed) is how much shelf space they've appropriated from loose leaf tea. I generally buy that online anyhow, but if I wanted to buy locally at the grocery store, it's almost an impossibility now.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by JC1
Too bad we couldn't buy motor oil grains and brew our own oil using water!!! Imagine the boards that would create.
Why can't I get the image of people drinking it out of my head?
13.gif

But seriously, BUNN ftw. OP - I know you have both, but honestly, which makes the better cup (time and quantity aside)? As a former manufacturing employee, I can vouch for the ridiculously strict quality control. They are extremely proud of their machines.

Bunn hands down, but in a pinch for time and only needing one cup a Keurig does fine. There is a difference though.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
With a Melitta pour-over I brew one cup at a time and didn't have to buy a Keurig or a special pod!

I have one of these and by the time I far around with the filter, scoop out the coffee and boil the water I could have pressed the button and went somewhere else to finish getting ready to leave in my morning scramble.
grin2.gif

French press, as I'm the only one who drinks coffee on a regular basis in the home.

I do have a ceramic pour-over device similar to the one displayed above, and might use that.

I have an electric kettle and set it to 195 degrees F and make a 1/2L in the French Press.

I do have a drip machine too, and press it into service when we have company. I just fill my Thermos bottle with what doesn't fit in my travel mug so it doesn't go off sitting in the carafe being heated all morning.

Tried the Keurig, for a couple of years with the refillable pod and was never satisfied. Could never use enough coffee to make anything other than colored water.

Others in the house were drinking coffee, but it's just down to me now so the French Press most days.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I like my Keurig. You should pick your coffee type depening on what you prefer. Strong or weak, some different flavor etc. I prefer The ORIGINAL DONUT SHOP coffee. Ed

X2, love my Keurig
12.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by AZjeff
With a Melitta pour-over I brew one cup at a time and didn't have to buy a Keurig or a special pod!

I have one of these and by the time I far around with the filter, scoop out the coffee and boil the water I could have pressed the button and went somewhere else to finish getting ready to leave in my morning scramble.
grin2.gif

Travel cup with Melitta and filter sitting on the counter and measuring cup with water in the microwave in the evening. In the morning spoon coffee into filter and push button on microwave, pour water in 2 minutes. Planning not scrambling. I forget things if I have to scramble at 4am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back