Amsoil vs Schaeffers ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is they still claim to be 100% synthetic which is something other oils do not claim. They may say full synthetic or just synthetic but they do not make the claim of being 100% synthetic on the bottle.

As a comparison what does Mobil say? https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

Maybe you could tell us what a 100% Synthetic finished lubricant contains verses a Full Synthetic finished lubricant?
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

I'm not picking up what you're puttind down MolaKule. I'm just stating that even though they no longer say it's PAO they still make sure to say 100% synthetic where as many labels can say full synthetic and not actually be fully synthetic. I want to say it was Castrol and Mobil1 who got into the fight and the BBB sided with the one claiming to be full synthetic when it was simply a mixture

Originally Posted by BigShug681
I'm not picking up what you're puttind down MolaKule. I'm just stating that even though they no longer say it's PAO they still make sure to say 100% synthetic where as many labels can say full synthetic and not actually be fully synthetic. I want to say it was Castrol and Mobil1 who got into the fight and the BBB sided with the one claiming to be full synthetic when it was simply a mixture

BP/Castrol claimed their Group III was synthetic. Mobil said no it wasn't and they shouldn't advertise it as such. That's the crux of the story.

I'm just stating that even though they no longer say it's PAO they still make sure to say 100% synthetic where as many labels can say full synthetic and not actually be fully synthetic

Then maybe you tell us what a full synthetic and "not actually full synthetic" is. I haven't seen any Amsoil or Mobil 1 advertising lately so If you have a link that says that I think we would like to see it.

If you have a disagreement or comment with respect to A Review of Mineral and Synthetic Oils let me know.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

BP/Castrol claimed their Group III was synthetic. Mobil said no it wasn't and they shouldn't advertise it as such. That's the crux of the story.

I'm just stating that even though they no longer say it's PAO they still make sure to say 100% synthetic where as many labels can say full synthetic and not actually be fully synthetic

Then maybe you tell us what a full synthetic and "not actually full synthetic" is. I haven't seen any Amsoil or Mobil 1 advertising lately so If you have a link that says that I think we would like to see it.

If you have a disagreement or comment with respect to A Review of Mineral and Synthetic Oils let me know.

It says on the bottles 100% full synthetic? I'm just making the observation of them being very specific on saying it's 100% vs other companies saying it's just full synthetic. I don't really understand what you want me to explain tbh. I was just more touching on your point you made about no longer stating PAO. It still says it's 100% synthetic to me that's a bit more bold than saying it's full synthetic when it may not be as proven by the castrol and Mobil ruling

For me idc what the base stock is, be it GTL,PAO, etc...the products work and they state to be 100% synthetic so imho if it wasn't 100% synthetic lubricant they would be sued into bankruptcy. 100% synthetic to me is very specific

[

...It says on the bottles 100% full synthetic? I'm just making the observation of them being very specific on saying it's 100% vs other companies saying it's just full synthetic. I don't really understand what you want me to explain tbh. I was just more touching on your point you made about no longer stating PAO. It still says it's 100% synthetic to me that's a bit more bold than saying it's full synthetic when it may not be as proven by the castrol and Mobil ruling

You lost me on that last sentence and your point still escapes me.

So, are you saying that what Amsoil claims as 100% Synthetic is NOT100% synthetic because others (such as Valvoline, Mobil or BP/Castrol) simply label theirs to say "Full Synthetic," but NONE of them are really Synthetic?

You have to define for us or tell us what your understanding of "Synthetic" is to have any meaningful dialogue.

[

...It says on the bottles 100% full synthetic? I'm just making the observation of them being very specific on saying it's 100% vs other companies saying it's just full synthetic. I don't really understand what you want me to explain tbh. I was just more touching on your point you made about no longer stating PAO. It still says it's 100% synthetic to me that's a bit more bold than saying it's full synthetic when it may not be as proven by the castrol and Mobil ruling

You lost me on that last sentence and your point still escapes me.

So, are you saying that what Amsoil claims as 100% Synthetic is NOT100% synthetic because others (such as Valvoline, Mobil or BP/Castrol) simply label theirs to say "Full Synthetic," but NONE of them are really Synthetic?

You have to define for us or tell us what your understanding of "Synthetic" is to have any meaningful dialogue.

Haha, no I'm not saying I don't believe Amsoil's claim of 100% synthetic. Sorry for any confusion, I am not the best at creating coherent sentences. I'm saying the 100% synthetic claim is very specific. I personally believe it's probably PAO based, you may have more insight, but again whatever it is the products work and them being secretive about what the finished product consists of doesn't bother me

...You have to define for us or tell us what your understanding of "Synthetic" is to have any meaningful dialogue.
[/quote

Haha, no I'm not saying I don't believe Amsoil's claim of 100% synthetic. Sorry for any confusion, I am not the best at creating coherent sentences. I'm saying the 100% synthetic claim is very specific. I personally believe it's probably PAO based, you may have more insight, but again whatever it is the products work and them being secretive about what the finished product consists of doesn't bother me

OK, good so we agree a PAO is a Group IV Synthetic!
smile.gif

Does Mobil or Valvoline or BP/Castrol or Shell tell you what base oils and additive ingredients are in their formulations?

Here is what I stated earlier about formulations being secretive and Blenders in general:

...When Group V oils became more expensive, he (Al Amatuzio) admitted publicly they were shifting to majority PAO's for their FS products. When other competitors started coming out of the woodwork it was important to really hold the formulations close, so the proclamations became less about base oil content or % and more on finished product performance.

No, and I repeat NO oil blender is going to tell you what their formulations are, and they are under no obligation to do so.

Therefore, NO blender is going to tell you what their formulations contain.

I.e., Formulations are "Proprietary."

Have a good evening. Time for beddy-bye.
grin2.gif

...You have to define for us or tell us what your understanding of "Synthetic" is to have any meaningful dialogue.

Haha, no I'm not saying I don't believe Amsoil's claim of 100% synthetic. Sorry for any confusion, I am not the best at creating coherent sentences. I'm saying the 100% synthetic claim is very specific. I personally believe it's probably PAO based, you may have more insight, but again whatever it is the products work and them being secretive about what the finished product consists of doesn't bother me[/quote

OK, good so we agree a PAO is a Group IV Synthetic!
smile.gif

Does Mobil or Valvoline or BP/Castrol or Shell tell you what base oils and additive ingredients are in their formulations?

Here is what I stated earlier about formulations being secretive and Blenders in general:

...When Group V oils became more expensive, he (Al Amatuzio) admitted publicly they were shifting to majority PAO's for their FS products. When other competitors started coming out of the woodwork it was important to really hold the formulations close, so the proclamations became less about base oil content or % and more on finished product performance.

No, and I repeat NO oil blender is going to tell you what their formulations are, and they are under no obligation to do so.

Therefore, NO blender is going to tell you what their formulations contain.

I.e., Formulations are "Proprietary."

Have a good evening. Time for beddy-bye.
grin2.gif

I completely agree with what you are saying, again it doesn't actually bother me what it's made of. The bottle says 100% synthetic, so for me I at least know that what ever is in that bottle isn't group II or III. Could be PAO or it could not but it's 100% of something that's a synthetic!

The bottle says 100% synthetic, so for me I at least know that what ever is in that bottle isn't group II or III.

Are you sure about that, especially with respect to the Group III?

The thing is they still claim to be 100% synthetic which is something other oils do not claim. They may say full synthetic or just synthetic but they do not make the claim of being 100% synthetic on the bottle.

This is applicable in Germany only, only oils made primarily of a grp IV or V can be called full synthetic by law (an actual lawsuit in court). Even oils derived by the Fischer-Tropsch process which were always considered a full synthetic since the 30's and maybe before that are no longer because Shell attempted to pull a fast one with the law and called it a grp III.

The plan was supposed to hatch as if legally defined full synthetic GTL derived by the Fischer-Tropsch process is a grp III then all grp III is full synthetic which would have boosted profits on grp III oils. That went over like flatulence in church with the court after they caught on to the scheme which then ruled GTL is not a full synthetic, Shell could have just had the GTL listed as a grp V but they tried to game the legal system and lost. Now what would have been legally considered a true synthetic must now say Motorenöl auf Basis von Synthesetechnologie and not Vollsynthetische.

https://www.shell.de/autofahrer/she...helix-ultra-professional-av-l-0w-30.html

Full synthetic oil from Castrol.

https://www.castrol.com/de_de/germany/car-engine-oil/motorenol-nach-typ/vollsynthetischen-olen.html

None of this info is valid outside of Germany. Mobil had a product document that said tell anyone who ask the oil is full synthetic except in Germany, in that case full transparency. In the USA and other countries it seems owls pee could be called full synthetic so you cant go by anything on the label, its just advertising. If you want a true synthetic cheap off the shelf at Walmart buy GTL oils from Pennzoil.
Is there a real difference between a properly finished grp III and what we calling true synthetics? Probably very little and nothing that would be noticed in real world operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_to_liquids

Edit: I read this in a German trade publication years ago, this is from my recollection of that article.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
The bottle says 100% synthetic, so for me I at least know that what ever is in that bottle isn't group II or III.

Even if it wasn't 100% a pao and had GTL base stocks I would consider that still 100% synthetic. Again though I could care less what it is because it works really well. I do however believe that whatever is in the bottle is 100% synthetic because if it wasn't somebody would have sued by now.

You guys have been very informative. However, I was wanting to know the differences between Amsoil ATF and Schaeffer ATF. I have access to the Technical Info Sheets. Just wondering as I am a little odd in that if I go from Amsoil to Schaeffer to Mobil to whatever, I like to buy all my product from that one company. Now, I am all in with Amsoil. Great dealer, great product, etc. I use it in my transmissions, gear boxes, crankcase, everywhere.

If I decide to change because I like the privately family owned Schaeffer products I am good with their 9000 oils for all my cars/vans/SUVs. No problem. I'm good with their gear box and grease products. I just ain't sure about their ATF's. It appears to me that Amsoil has far superior ATF's. I am hoping some of you could convince me that Schaeffers ATF is as good a Amsoil.

IME as a former Amsoil user for decades I have found their advantages to have eroded over the years. I feel there was a definite time when they were far superior to most anything else, but today's much more competitive market has made many "boutique" oils too expensive for their real benefits.

I have run ordinary oils from Walmart to half a million miles in American trucks in a difficult duty cycle. Many other folks here and elsewhere have also run to ridiculous mileages with no special lubricants.

However, I have always believed in the comfort of using whatever you feel like confidently. I have never bought a Schaeffers product.

Originally Posted by Garak

We all are falling hook, line and sinker into this poster's questions. It's becoming more clear that they are only being repeated (and asked in 25 slightly different ways) so that the arguments and discussion is perpetuated.

We've all been here before, just saying.

Originally Posted by Gebo
You guys have been very informative. However, I was wanting to know the differences between Amsoil ATF and Schaeffer ATF. I have access to the Technical Info Sheets. Just wondering as I am a little odd in that if I go from Amsoil to Schaeffer to Mobil to whatever, I like to buy all my product from that one company. Now, I am all in with Amsoil. Great dealer, great product, etc. I use it in my transmissions, gear boxes, crankcase, everywhere.

If I decide to change because I like the privately family owned Schaeffer products I am good with their 9000 oils for all my cars/vans/SUVs. No problem. I'm good with their gear box and grease products. I just ain't sure about their ATF's. It appears to me that Amsoil has far superior ATF's. I am hoping some of you could convince me that Schaeffers ATF is as good a Amsoil.

I agree with Steve SRT8 the Amsoil advantage in engine oils have probably been diminished somewhat by the big names making products that are at least equal or better than theirs. Amsoil seems to put a lot more effort in the transmission and gear lubes, their ATF fluids are truly stellar.
When I was working more I used to have 50 gallons on hand at any given time. Now I probably have 10 gallons (4x 2.5 gallon jugs), I use mostly the ATF not the ATFL, the slightly higher viscosity just seems to make the shifts crisper and slightly firmer probably due to a little more pressure.

Trav what vehicle as a lot of transmissions today use variable line pressure to keep the pressure dead on but also the least amount possible for better fuel economy. Like in the Chrysler 62TE for example.

I use it in older units and where dex III and older spec fluids were originally spec, if the spec calls for a low viscosity fluid I usually use the OE fluids. I will buy ATFL if the vehicle is listed but I don't keep much on hand just enough for new GM.

Even if it wasn't 100% a pao and had GTL base stocks I would consider that still 100% synthetic. Again though I could care less what it is because it works really well. I do however believe that whatever is in the bottle is 100% synthetic because if it wasn't somebody would have sued by now.

The base stock can be solely Group III and they're entitled to label it 100% synthetic or fully synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back