2015 Odyssey - Which synthetic ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello forum pals,

Hope this is not too redundant, but a search did not turn up anything specific, or my search skills stink...

2015 odyssey. about 50k on the clock. maintenance minder is telling me to change the ATF. Looking to do a synthetic....

is Mobil-1 an approved alternative? penzoil platinum? something more exotic better?? what do you folks recommend?

Many folks , myself included, use Valvoline MaxLife ATF but since you are still under the powertrain warranty I would only use Honda DW-1.

Maxlife ATF is very popular on here an available at most Walmarts for under $20 a gallon.

Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is also a very good choice for your Odyssey and would be what I would use. It often goes on sale for $5/qt at the major parts stores, but it is not on sale right now.

DW-1 is readily available at reasonable prices on eBay and Amazon. I buy 12 qts at a time.

Super easy on that van, just need a 3/8 ratchet to drain, and a long funnel to fill.

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient ATF or Valvoline Maxlife ATF
smile.gif

My understanding is that DW1 is not full synthetic; if correct, that limits you to aftermarket given that you prefer syn. The ones mentioned above (Amsoil fuel efficient, Castrol Import Multi Vehicle, Maxlife), and Redline D6, Pennzoil Platinum LV are recommended by their respective manufacturers and I would have no problem using any of these. I could not verify that idemitsu H+ is synthetic but that is another option if it is syn.

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum LV in my '12 Ody for about 50k miles and it has held up well, even with towing in summer. This contrasts with DW1 which broke down somewhat after towing, resulting in less smooth shifts.

I have no idea whether using syn atf affects warranty, but towing is rough on atf and I have much more confidence in syn than DW1. My trans shifts like new at 93k+ even with frequent towing. YMMV

Last edited:
Amsoil ATL if you don't mind dropping coin, Maxlife ATF if you are pinching pennies, and some form of DW-1 if you are worried about the tranny going out before the warranty is up.

JHZR is right; doing a D&F on these trannys is quicker than a full oil change.

Just drain and fill Honda DW-1 every 30k or so and keep it simple, the cost differential over that interval is essentially nil and it's proven to be a much better fluid than Z-1 ever was. This removes and doubts you may have and will simplify things, I've always done this routine on my notoriously weak 7th gen Accord V6 trans and am perfectly content with the performance, and in Seattle there are tons of hills and wall to wall traffic 7 days a week. I've had no perceptible degradation of performance whether it's 105f in the desert or close to 0f in the mountains in winter.

Just my $.02, butif you really want aftermarket I'd probably head to WM and snag some maxlife, I really like Valvoline products (well the HM oil burns the least IME)

Last edited:
I've found DW-1 to be cheaper at the dealer than on any of those eBay deals. I believe they upgraded the spec for DW-1 over Z-1 considerably due to the failures in the mid 2000s, ie: went to what effectively is a full synth fluid. Similar to what GM did in that era with Dexron-VI which is also always a full synth fluid.

The only aftermarket ATF I've tried in Hondas is MaxLife. It works fine in my old Accord but I hated it in my Pilot, which specs DW-1. Maybe some other ATF brands will work but I'm not in the mood to experiment.

IMO, just stick with OEM in late-model Hondas that spec DW-1.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent.

This is what Id run. Idemitsu correctly blends friction agents vs a generic type ATF.

You can typically get Honda fluids at Bernanrdi auto parts cheaper than at the dealer even with shipping.

UD

Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent

I've had and serviced Hondas for many years. Wifey's 2006 TSX (190K, flawless) has had a steady diet of DW-1.
Last time I tried the Idemitsu swill. It pulls better; you will feel it off the line and around town driving.
Really good stuff. I will be using this going forward.

I have used MaxLife in other Hondas, our Tundra, old ES300, Nissans, etc.
It is a steal for the price and is an upgrade to most other ATFs.

That's my experience.

Last edited:
What's the actual story behind having or needing to use Honda DW1 exclusively? Is it fact or myth?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What's the actual story behind having or needing to use Honda DW1 exclusively? Is it fact or myth?

It is the same as the other Honda fluids which are "required" per the OM: Honda very cleverly states that one must use Honda fluids. I don't know if anyone has pursued warranty claims after using non-Honda fluids and, if they did, what the outcome was.

I use non-Honda oil, atf, brake fluid, antifreeze, and ps fluid in my '12 Ody and they work at least as well as Honda fluids (the atf and ps fluid work better for my needs, but YMMV).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

It depends on how you interpret a specification. Honda does not, to my knowledge, have an open AT fluid specification licensing program similar to GM/Ford Dex/Merc. There is only one supplier (Idemitsu). In fact on the DW-1 link above, the first bullet states "Idemitsu is the only global authorized supplier for DW-1 transmission fluids"

Non-authorized fluid manufactures can "recommend" but not state that it is an approved ATF for Honda.

And likewise, even if Idemitsu produces fluid for Honda that does not mean the Idemitsu branded fluid is licensed DW-1. It may say it is suitable for that use but it is not actual DW-1. Only the Honda brand is.

Not to say you shouldn't or can't use it, just being clear on how Honda specs work.

Redline and Amsoil have good records on the Honda sites I was on years ago. DW-1 yuk. I guess it is better then Z1 by a good bit. Redline or Amsoil all the way. I had Redline D6 in 3 Honda's and 2 are still going since I know who bought them. One has 75,000 after I sold it to them on an Odyssey and she is still rolling fine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back