Splitting wedges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so not really an automotive tool but a tool none the less! What are the thoughts on quality splitting wedges? Obviously this is a piece that gets beat up pretty good so not something to spend a fortune on but I want one that will hold up as well. Best options? Any reason to avoid an HF special?

mine from HF 15+ years ago has held up well . . ..

the 'manual slide' splitting tool has been worth ever penny as well, and is easier to use, wife & kiddos even use it . . . : )

Last edited:
The 3 I have are 40 yrs old. They are from Taiwan. They work. The thing with wedges and chisels etc, is to trim the mushrooms off the head.

I'm going to go with this: Spend a fortune.

It will last longer and perform better.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product-cat/splitting-axes/

I have their large splitting axe. It performs an order of magnitude better than anything I've used before or since. I find that I don't need a wedge most of the time, this axe is that good.

It's hand forged, finely made, shaped differently, and performs beautifully.

Of course, if you still want a wedge, then get theirs, with its unique twist, you'll find it more effective than a cheap hunk of steel from offshore. Pair it with the large splitting maul and you'll laugh at every other product that claims to split wood. My brother has this set-up. Simply amazing.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
The 3 I have are 40 yrs old. They are from Taiwan. They work. The thing with wedges and chisels etc, is to trim the mushrooms off the head.

This is vital. I had a wedge over 50years old that was really mushroomed over. While splitting, I felt something hit my leg above my ankle. A piece broke off and went through my sock and stopped on the bone on my leg. I had to have it surgically removed and flushed out. It was about the size and weight of a .22 round.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from a quality wedge. If it's too hard it'll crack on you. If too soft, it'll mushroom excessively. The metallurgy of wedges needs to be just the right hardness. It's not that difficult and should not be expensive.

I have had good luck with Harbor Freight splitting wedges. use the biggest hammer you can swing

Everything around here is Oak and Pecan. (use the biggest hammer you can swing - sometimes a 20 lb sledge isn't enough)

You wussies who only split pine, larch, etc. etc. etc. have no idea what it's like to really have to fight to split wood.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Everything around here is Oak and Pecan. (use the biggest hammer you can swing - sometimes a 20 lb sledge isn't enough)

You wussies who only split pine, larch, etc. etc. etc. have no idea what it's like to really have to fight to split wood.

As a kid from 13-19 i split a lot of oak and hickory with a maul and a wedge and 12lb sledge. After i moved out my dad bought a gas log splitter and a conveyor to get hay bales up into the loft.

I have a few wedges, but I refuse to use them! I cut some trees that are up to 42 inch on the stump. I use one of my Bad *** saws and noodle rounds "Cut them in half" I use a lot less energy that way. I cut a lot of wood, if it was faster and easier to use wedges I would, but its not. I have a gas powered splitter at home, I split half rounds at home.

I do use plastic wedges for felling trees. Sometimes 2 or 3 on one tree.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I'm going to go with this: Spend a fortune.

It will last longer and perform better.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product-cat/splitting-axes/

I have their large splitting axe. It performs an order of magnitude better than anything I've used before or since. I find that I don't need a wedge most of the time, this axe is that good.

It's hand forged, finely made, shaped differently, and performs beautifully.

Of course, if you still want a wedge, then get theirs, with its unique twist, you'll find it more effective than a cheap hunk of steel from offshore. Pair it with the large splitting maul and you'll laugh at every other product that claims to split wood. My brother has this set-up. Simply amazing.

You get what you pay for.

That stuff looks like art. I'd hate to use it.

You can get a USA made Estwing for under $20. There are a couple more USA ones out there for reasonable money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back