New coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Rifle sent me a discount code for coffee this time so I bought two boxes of Death Punch and decided to try their chocolate coffee. The reviews were great. I didn't care for it. Hopefully the kids will drink it at Christmas.

For you guys that like fresh beans and have to order online I have been buying beans from this guy for over a year. He sells half pounds so you can try something your not sure you would like. He also sells beans by the pound at similar prices most places charge for 12 oz bags.

The Excellent Cup

I prefer South and Central American Beans.

Interesting. Yes I've noticed the change to a 12oz package. It's almost industry standard now. The flip side of that is that smaller packaging results in less stale beans. There is some give and take.

In today's capitalism, the mission of the company plays a big part in consumers choice. I get good beans at Black Rifle which incidentally come from Brazil and Columbia, and I'm supporting a veteran owned business as well.

I've got some Murdered Out coming in this next batch to try. I'll post a comment on it when I do.

I also discovered a brand called Sisters Coffee which is roasted in Sisters Oregon, just west of Bend. Some interesting coffee there. I plan to order a couple to try.

https://www.sisterscoffee.com

So many good coffee outlets these days that roast their own. I like the idea of supporting the smaller roasters and also keeping it local.

I did try the Black Rifle coffee. I love the concept. I did find it to be smooth. The beyond black was just not that strong. I noticed that it was really course ground. I would say that the silencer smooth coffee while a light blend , is a a perfect coffee for someone trying to get used to drinking black coffee, it is smooth.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I did try the Black Rifle coffee. I love the concept. I did find it to be smooth. The beyond black was just not that strong. I noticed that it was really course ground. I would say that the silencer smooth coffee while a light blend , is a a perfect coffee for someone trying to get used to drinking black coffee, it is smooth.

I just happen to have a bag of that incoming as well. I e been drinking dark roast for a long time and have discovered some of these medium and lighter roasts are quite good.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I just happen to have a bag of that incoming as well. I e been drinking dark roast for a long time and have discovered some of these medium and lighter roasts are quite good.

I tend to drink the lighter roasts early as it seems they have more caffeine.
grin2.gif
Later on i drink the dark roasts. I love dark roast coffee black. So far i like Seattle's best #5 .

I tend to drink the lighter roasts early as it seems they have more caffeine.
grin2.gif
Later on i drink the dark roasts. I love dark roast coffee black. So far i like Seattle's best #5 .

It took me a very long time to learn that the lighter roasts had more caffeine. With that said though it really depends on a variety of factors.

The biggest jolt I've had was drinking a Singapore pulled coffee. Kopi O is the term for black and it certainly will wake you up. It was a Godsend for the multiple times I was at a airport at the super early hours of the morning. One or two of those will power you for quite a while. Have the Kaya toast or some breakfast to go with it.

Just brewed a presspot of Murdered Out. This is a extra dark roast. The beans are very dark and oily.

The flavor and aroma is great. If you like a dark roast as I do then this is the blend to try. Acidity is in check, heavy body and the aroma fills the room. This is my new favorite.

Next up is Silencer Smooth which is on the other end of the roast scale as it is a light roast.

What coffee maker are you using? I need to get a new one since it's not keeping the coffee that hot.

I'm using a inexpensive press pot I got from Amazon. It makes roughly one liter. I pour most of that into a insulated travel mug and the rest into cups. My research has told me that letting it sit in a press pot is not the best way.

If you are leaning towards a drip maker, the Bonavita is a top recommendation.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
What coffee maker are you using? I need to get a new one since it's not keeping the coffee that hot.

I highly recommend a 10 or 12 cup cuisinart with stainless pot. Keeps coffee very hot for 3 hours I found
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just brewed a presspot of Murdered Out. This is a extra dark roast. The beans are very dark and oily.

The flavor and aroma is great. If you like a dark roast as I do then this is the blend to try. Acidity is in check, heavy body and the aroma fills the room. This is my new favorite.

Next up is Silencer Smooth which is on the other end of the roast scale as it is a light roast.

I'm going to Murdered Out, i love really dark coffee as long as it does not taste scorched. I think you will like the silencer smooth in the mornings, if you drink it black.

I'm going to Murdered Out, i love really dark coffee as long as it does not taste scorched. I think you will like the silencer smooth in the mornings, if you drink it black.

I'm looking forward to it. I've been a diehard dark roast fan for years but the lighter roasts have opened my eyes.

I brewed up a pot of the Silencer Smooth this morning. The name of this blend tells it all. It is very smooth with a bit of a wine characteristic. Good flavor. A very drinkable cup.

On the lighter roasts I grind the beans slightly finer. That is my personal habit. All my press pots brew for the four minute standard.

I was over at my stepson's yesterday for the football game. His friend that he shares the house with is a cop and he buys the Thin Blue Line coffee. I got to try a cup of that last night. Also good.

Bumping this thread with a new addition.

I picked up a bag of Groundwork's Slabtown blend and brewed up a pot this morning. This is a medium roast but has a lot of flavor and body. A very nice cup.

Groundwork started out in Los Angeles but opened up a roastery in Portland OR a while back. This Slabtown blend is a tribute to the old days when the working class burned cut offs for heat and such. As a kid I stacked these in a neighbors basement for her use. We called them planer ends. She had a wood furnace and these were free for the taking at that time.

If you like a medium roast then this is one to try.

I've added a Nespresso machine to my arsenal, for those times when I'm in a rush and don't have time to fire up and work my manual Breville rig.

[Linked Image]

I've been experimenting with various Nespresso pods recently. Also just this week I picked up some Peet's pods to try - these seem to be getting very favorable reviews as a viable alternative to original Nespresso ones, and they sometimes go on sale.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back