45,000 miles in the Caprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Traffic242
I have a '17. Well, the county owns it, not me, but it's mine until it's mileage'd out. These things are no way, near the durability or reliability of the Crown Vic. Cant even hold a candle. It's been in the shop a lot.

What for? We have about 20-30 guys on the Caprice board who are police or use them for fleet. They said the biggest thing was the AFM on the early cars and steering rack recall on the electric power steering cars.
We have a few LEOs who purchased their old cars for private use.

Most of the ones that come from auction have TONS of idle hours. On average 6000 hours.

I'm on my 3rd set of motor mounts. Tie rods, 2 sets of AC lines, because both sets leaked out all the Freon, so GM replaced them with the exact same things, and it happened again. The AC/Vent system randomly changes from the dash vents to the floor vents, to defrost, then to the floor, then the blower quits blowing all together. Then the blendor motor the vents off completely slowly, randomly, so the fan is roaring, but nothing comes out of the vents. I have to turn the on/off button 17 times to get it to reboot itself, and then it's normal again, for an unknown amount of time. Then it happens again. I repeat this process approximately 50 times a day.

The cooling fans weren't coming on or cycling with the A/C. I'm in Florida. They should be running constantly, but they weren't and the electronics fried themselves. resulting in new fuses, relays and fan motors.

I have a take home car. We all do. All my doors unlock randomly. I'll go out in the early morning to an unlocked car. My trunk opens on it's own, randomly. Sometimes I find the trunk wide open and all the lights on inside.

Batteries have caught fire in the 2015 models, frying the entire electrical system.

My drivers side door/window leaks.

My harmonic balancer went, or the bearings behind it, so it was wobbling. My belt began to chirp. Day 2 of the belt chirping, the belt flew off and left me dead on the side of the road.

These issues have plagued hundreds of our cars and not just mine.

I do like the car, overall. The exhaust on it is ridiculous and MDS is annoying. I dig the Bluetooth. For the type of work I do, this car is a game changer, coming out of high mileage Crown Vics.

We have ~1100 fleet vehicles with the vast majority 14-17 Caprices and Tahoes. We do have some Crown Vics left. These cars are costing us a fortune. They cannot be compared in any way to the durability of the Crown Vic. That car is/was a workhorse and there will never be anything made that can hold a candle to the simplicity and reliability of those things. Our fleet maintenance does a 30/60/90/120k service intervals, which changes brakes, coolant, thermostats, trans fluid, oil and differentials, as well as lubes everything underneath. I get an oil change whenever it hits 20%, per our policy and we run Wix premium air and oil filters.

I took possession of this thing in March of 2017. I'll have it 3 years and it'll hit the auction with around 140-150k miles.

According to Ford, 1 hour of idle is roughly equivalent to 33 road driven miles. So take your hours and multiply that by 33 and you'll have an idea the wear and tear on the engine. I would assume GM is similar with how they rate them.

Your car looks great though.

hours.jpg

[censored] that is the worst one I have heard of even the fleet guys on my board think it is.
I know about the Harmonic balancer, that isn't just Caprice thing.

The vent problem is reprogram at the dealer. I had to have it done to mine.

I tuned out the MDS.

The other issues I can't speak to. I have none of those.

There are 2000 Caprices on my Caprice board on Facebook and I don't think anyone has complained about all those things on one car.

The local WSP maintenance center seems to like them, I talk to guy as I know him from the track.

All those problems blow my mind compared to what I read elsewhere.

I have a '17. Well, the county owns it, not me, but it's mine until it's mileage'd out. These things are no way, near the durability or reliability of the Crown Vic. Cant even hold a candle. It's been in the shop a lot.

Somewhere, Bubba is wondering what happened to the grille guard on his mud-bogger truck...

Originally Posted by ls1mike
53,000 miles of idling.

So the guys with 6000 idle hours are getting crazy miles!!

I saw a Vic for sale with 115,000 miles...and 16,000 idle hours! (IIRC, it was a city cruiser in Minneapolis.)

The push bumper isn't abnormally large. Might just be the angle of the picture. It's a standard Setina and designed for this car.

My old Crown Vic was retired at 148k miles and had around 2300 idling hours, which is not a lot. I would've bought that car because I know exactly how it was driven and maintained and all the parts that were replaced on it. I ran an 87 octane tune by SCT for 147k miles. Once it got out of the hole, it moved pretty well. It was mostly highway miles and maintained very well. I miss that car. We all miss them. I'd actually like to find an LX Sport with decent miles on it. I'd buy that in a minute.

I will tell you that the AC worked 1000 times better in the Ford than the Chevy.

Here's my retired 2011.

CV2011.jpg

Good for you … but the AC was leaking refrigerant on my 2015 Ford at 38k … conveniently out of warranty on a $50k vehicle … I really needed that AC attempting to purge carbon monoxide from the interior …

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Man, cam, heads and tune and that LS can fly!

You got that right. I wish I could tinker with my PPV.

Where are you at in Florida?

You got that right. I wish I could tinker with my PPV.

Where are you at in Florida?

I am in the greater tampa bay area.

Guys already in the 10's with them. Stock engine with power adders. Procharger N20 cars, you get the idea.

There is one guy Tracy has a retired cruiser with 160,000 it. Still has the stock AFM/DOD. Converter, exhaust, tune and N20. 10.50's

Guys in 10's with converter, CAM and exhaust. LS2 Block with LS3 heads.

The popular swap is the LSA conversion. The complete supercharger 4500 bucks. Low 11's to high 10's

I have a converter, headers, cam and Camaro rear diff read to go. Should easily run low 12's high 11's with that stuff. That is my summer project.

Last edited:
Three of those in my organization. Two of them dropped engines before 100K. Interiors are the quality of a mid 80's GM sedan. all are 6.0. The third was wrecked and the engine put in one of the others and it sounds sick. Even worse than the exploders.

Oh, I forgot the time we waited for 6 weeks for a body panel to come from Australia.

Not one single department in this area ever purchased them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back