Ok I take it back about Keurig

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in a previous thread I called Keurig hot brown water and now I'm thinking I had it wrong due to a defective machine I owned some time ago.

I had purchased a Keurig when it first came out and thought that it would be great, I can make a cup at a time so it's hot and convenient etc.
Shortly thereafter I decided to finish up the pods I had bought and sold the machine used at a garage sale thinking that it just wasn't for me.

Well fast forward about 5 years and I'm working somewhere that has a Keurig in the kitchen with unlimited amount of pods and different types to choose from.
Having had my bad experience I steered away from it until a couple weeks ago when I was dying for some caffeine and didn't have time to run to the Timmies up the street so I thought what the heck.

Well it changed my opinion of the coffee maker system so much so I bought the Mini version for home and have been using it since.

So what are your favourite pods? So far I'm addicted to the Tim Hortons dark roast. I can get a big box at Costco for a decent price.

13.gif

I absolutely will not spend the money on those pods.

I hear the inventor of them refuses to use them, as well.

I have a refillable "pod" that I fill with my choice of select gourmet grounds, and just rinse it out after use.

We have one, at home and work, and I only like them anymore for the convenience (1 cup). I haven't found the "right" coffee for the serving size I want. The largest cup ends up making the coffee too weak while the medium cup is better, but simply not enough quantity. I've even tried making a medium cup and re-using the pod on the smallest cup setting.

Otherwise, we have a Bunn coffee maker and it makes great coffee.

I use the Keurig at work sometimes and am pretty wimpy when it comes to coffee...I will usually have caf or decaf French Vanilla depending on how I am feeling as well as some chai.
I will say that the area around where the pod goes can look pretty nasty after the machine has been sitting for a weekend.
I noted with interest that there are pods available for some kind of cold/flu brew...not sure I would want to make coffee or whatever after somebody ran one of those, and what about people who are sensitive to meds???

BTW, I'm not sure I can ever stop at a Tim Horton's again after that video of the woman who went out of her mind after they wouldn't let her use the bathroom...bleccchh!!!

I like my Keurig. You should pick your coffee type depening on what you prefer. Strong or weak, some different flavor etc. I prefer The ORIGINAL DONUT SHOP coffee. Ed

Yeah I have a Bunn at home and use it when I know I'm going to drink more than one cup, like on weekends. But for the morning it's nice to brew a cup to take with you. Especially because the line-up at Timmies in the morning is nuts, also because I'm usually scrambling to get out the door on time.
grin2.gif

We have one but I refuse to use it. I'm not paying those prices for the pods. My other half loves it though and she pays for the pods, I will not.

A drop coffee pot and a thing of Maxwell suits me just fine.

And I'm not contributing to the serious plastic problem the world has.

Originally Posted by Throt
We have one but I refuse to use it. I'm not paying those prices for the pods. My other half loves it though and she pays for the pods, I will not.

A drop coffee pot and a thing of Maxwell suits me just fine.

And I'm not contributing to the serious plastic problem the world has.

I have a pot/screen that allows me to use my own grounds.

It brews a decent cup - 16oz at a time.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I absolutely will not spend the money on those pods.

I hear the inventor of them refuses to use them, as well.

I have a refillable "pod" that I fill with my choice of select gourmet grounds, and just rinse it out after use.

This is what I do, much better coffee and much cheaper.

Donut Shop purchased at Costco.

We used to use a grind-n-brew but it was a pain to brew more than one carafe because you had to clean and dry the grinder (steam from the brewing process would muck it up).

I've tried the reusable pods where you fill it with your own coffee, but it was a PITA to reach the correct size of grind and I didn't want to invest in a burr grinder.

No pods for me overpriced and not environmentally friendly.

I set up my Cuisinart coffee maker the night before to brew my coffee for the morning.

I don't understand people driving to timmies on nights or weekends to buy overpriced coffee when they could brew a whole lot for less than a buck.

Too bad we couldn't buy motor oil grains and brew our own oil using water!!! Imagine the boards that would create.

Last edited:
A Bunn home brewer can brew a 20 oz. travel size mug in like two minutes or less. Fill the carafe to the minimum 4 cup line with water which equals 20 oz, and make it as strong as you want it.

Originally Posted by JC1
Too bad we couldn't buy motor oil grains and brew our own oil using water!!! Imagine the boards that would create.
Why can't I get the image of people drinking it out of my head?
13.gif

But seriously, BUNN ftw. OP - I know you have both, but honestly, which makes the better cup (time and quantity aside)? As a former manufacturing employee, I can vouch for the ridiculously strict quality control. They are extremely proud of their machines.

Originally Posted by JC1
No pods for me overpriced and not environmentally friendly.

I set up my Cuisinart coffee maker the night before to brew my coffee for the morning.

I don't understand people driving to timmies on nights or weekends to buy overpriced coffee when they could brew a whole lot for less than a buck.

We used to have free coffee at work which wasn't that bad, but people at work used to go out to the local coffee shop anyway.

I think they just liked going out for the walk. But the kicker was that they'd ask if anyone wanted anything when they went out and people would ask that they buy them a drink too and they weren't even going out.

We have one as well as a regular coffee maker. we use it when one of us just wants a quick cup. I like the Green Mountain Dark Magic.

Reactions: Bud
I must have tried at least 20 different Keurig machines by now - most either in hotel rooms or car dealerships, etc. Possibly these were low end / neglected machines, so this isn't a good representation. I will drink it if there is nothing else, but I wouldn't buy one.

If it has to be pods for convenience, I much prefer Nespresso over Keurig, but even that would be last resort for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back