Grade of Fuel for Snow Blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Toro 2 stroke single stage snow blower. I have always used regular gas for the mix. Would using a higher octane be better? Would it start any easier ?

Higher octane will not start easier, nor will it make it run better. Higher octane fuel is (generally) less volatile and has a higher threshold for ignition, which is why it's a higher octane, a measure of it's resistance to preignition.

I have a mid 90s Toro 2 stroke, has hundreds and hundreds of hours on it all on 87 with about every pre mix oil known to man.

Hey FlyNavy, thanks for the info. You need a snowblower in Florida?

Last edited:
Since they don't adjust timing based on octane of fuel it is a waste to use higher than regular. Using a quality clean buring 2 stroke oil would make more sense.

87 octane with a little marvel mixed in is what I use for my snowblower. Keeping it in the heated garage helps it start almost instantly. If it has to live outside, prime the crap out of it or hit it with some starting fluid but premium gas isn't going to help it light off. .

We don't have ethanol in any of our pump gas here so I don't have to worry about it going bad as fast.

Last edited:
non ethanol fuel in any thing with a carb is better. my husqvarna 2 smoker chain saw says premium fuel in the manual, check yours or look on-line for one!!

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. My manual only states to use "fresh unleaded gas". I like the idea of adding a little bit of MMO to the tank. I will give that a try. I only buy non-ethanol fuel for my cars, motorcycle and boat. The two stations closest to me, Shell and Mobil have all grades non-ethanol. What do you suggest as a clean burning two stroke oil ZZman? I have been using Valvoline Multipurpose 2 Cycle Oil.

Originally Posted by Donald
One benefit of high octane is if it looses some octane in the tank waiting for the next storm you will probably still be above 87.

Even then I've used 3 year old 87 in snowblowers and lawnmowers and they don't care at all. It's hard to blow up a low compression 6 hp engine from spark knock because of low octane.

Higher octane rated fuels resist pre-ignition, aka detonation,caused high temperatures within the combustion chamber. Those high temperatures could be caused by a higher compression ratio, higher operating temperature, or both. Neither of these factors will ever apply to a snow blower. Use 87 octane fuel with confidence. If you can find ethanol free fuel, that would be great for any piece of OPE.

91 oct in ALL my small engines..
lawnmower /chainsaws / weed wackers and snowblowers and a wee dram of STP fuel treatment
everything starts on 1 or 2 pulls..

1. There isn't ANY benefit to using fuel with an octane rating higher than 87 in a low compression small engine. Even if the combustion chamber is badly carboned-up, the compression ratio will not be high enough to necessitate the use of a higher octane fuel. If the engine had a high enough compression ratio to require high octane fuel, you wouldn't be able to pull the starter. The engine will NOT start easier or run better with higher octane fuel. DO use Top Tier gas for the better detergent quality that it has. Gasoline does not lose octane with age but it does lose volatility and will make your engine harder to start. If you want your engine to start easily. keep your fuel FRESH.
2. Never EVER use starting fluid (ether) in a 2-cycle engine!
3. Do not use any fuel additives in a 2-cycle engine that are not specifically spelled out for use in 2-cycle engines. Actually, the only things that should go into your fuel mix are a high quality air cooled 2-cycle engine oil and Stabil (optionally). Also, you should not mix-up more fuel than you will use-up completely within 120 days (60 days with E10), even with Stabil added.

I should have added...
Don't cheap-out on the oil, it is the absolute life-blood of a 2-cycle engine. Use a high quality 2-cycle engine oil that is specifically formulated for the type of 2-cycle engine it is being used in, air cooled 2-cycle engine oil for air cooled 2-cycle engines (JASO-FD), and water cooled/outboard 2-cycle engine oil for water cooled/outboard 2-cycle engines (TC-W3).
Always mix the oil and gas at the engine manufacturer's recommended mix ratio, NOT at the ratio that it says on the bottle of 2-cycle oil. Don't mix at a higher ratio than it says on the bottle, in other words, do not use 40:1 2-cycle oil mixed at 50:1, but, you can go the other way and mix a 50:1 oil at 40:1 to use in an engine that requires a 40:1 ratio. You CAN used fuel mixed at 40:1 in a 2-cycle engine where the manufacturer specifies a 50:1 mix ratio, but this would not be optimal.
Some high quality 2-cycle engine oils already have fuel stabilizer in them. You don't need to add Stabil (and shouldn't) if you use one of these oils.
Also, 87 octane "regular" gas is likely to be fresher when you buy it than higher octane gas because the gas stations (and oil companies) sell a LOT more of it and the gas is rotated through their tanks quicker.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Higher octane rated fuels resist pre-ignition, aka detonation,caused high temperatures within the combustion chamber. Those high temperatures could be caused by a higher compression ratio, higher operating temperature, or both. Neither of these factors will ever apply to a snow blower. Use 87 octane fuel with confidence. If you can find ethanol free fuel, that would be great for any piece of OPE.

In NY the E0 gas is always premium. Was told they cannot sell E0 87 regular. But unsure if that is true. But the places I have seen E0 it's always premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back