VW Atlas V6 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the dealership this morning and peeked under the hood of the cars in the showroom: one of the cars I looked at was an Atlas V6. The tag under the hood called not only for VW 504.00 but also 0w-30. I have not before seen on the tag under the hood on a VW where they've called for a certain spec and a certain viscosity. The user manuals yes, but not on tag on the car itself.

Originally Posted by motech
Was at the dealership this morning and peeked under the hood of the cars in the showroom: one of the cars I looked at was an Atlas V6. The tag under the hood called not only for VW 504.00 but also 0w-30. I have not before seen on the tag under the hood on a VW where they've called for a certain spec and a certain viscosity. The user manuals yes, but not on tag on the car itself.

There is a lot of confusion with Atlas V6. VW promised it will deal with that. I said a year ago that oil recommendations for that vehicle are proof that car was introduced too fast and that they just copied/paste recommendations for other markets.

My new Passat GT with the VR6 has near identical recommendations. The sticker under the hood says VW 502 / 504. The manuals (both written and on line) are all about 0w30 in VW 502, and they even go so far as to say add no more than 1/2 quart of 5w40 in an emergency even if it is VW 502.

That seems odd to me.

There are not very many 0w30's available that are VW 502 but a few are around if you hunt. Anything 502 or 504 should satisfy warranty requirements though as long as it is changed on time.

I can only think the 0w30 recommendation is the latest CAFE concession and VW is looking for the tiny mpg gain using a 0w30 over a 5w40.

Here is a 504 0w30 but it's still your choice if you want to run 5w40.

06DD0603-2B4C-4617-9F9C-EDA75822D299.jpeg

7DC6EB85-ABFA-4C40-B4E5-526E6F98AF9C.jpeg

Yes, much debate over on vortex regarding this. My 2018 shows the underhood sticker that just states 502/504. Manual says 502 0w30 but all the other bits about topping off with other or using oil viscosity that works for your climate - this language counters itself to me. My dealer uses 5w40. 0w30 502 seems hard to find...I've never seen it. Every place that sells the DIY oil change kits sells 5w40 with them. I think this is related to squeaking out a little more mpgs and even the "think blue trainer" bit on the infotainment says to run the thinnest oil you can. The Atlas is a beast and gets somewhat poor mpgs vs. competition and I think that's what's driving this. You won't grenade that VR running standard 5w40 502 oil and changing it regularly (5-10k based on use)...the dealers wouldn't be using it if it would. Just on a side note, I have never had a vehicle that left this much ambiguity w/r to oil type/grade. Most of them just have a single viscosity recommended and it's even on the oil-filler cap on some. Why did VW do this? I can understand why people have questions/concerns that are car-nerds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Yes, much debate over on vortex regarding this. My 2018 shows the underhood sticker that just states 502/504. Manual says 502 0w30 but all the other bits about topping off with other or using oil viscosity that works for your climate - this language counters itself to me. My dealer uses 5w40. 0w30 502 seems hard to find...I've never seen it. Every place that sells the DIY oil change kits sells 5w40 with them. I think this is related to squeaking out a little more mpgs and even the "think blue trainer" bit on the infotainment says to run the thinnest oil you can. The Atlas is a beast and gets somewhat poor mpgs vs. competition and I think that's what's driving this. You won't grenade that VR running standard 5w40 502 oil and changing it regularly (5-10k based on use)...the dealers wouldn't be using it if it would. Just on a side note, I have never had a vehicle that left this much ambiguity w/r to oil type/grade. Most of them just have a single viscosity recommended and it's even on the oil-filler cap on some. Why did VW do this? I can understand why people have questions/concerns that are car-nerds.

Well said. My manual reads the same and you're right, is almost bi-polar the way it reads. Dealers are definitely not tracking with this either, on another forum a long time VW tech said he'd put the new 508 0w20 in it "because all the new VW's get it". Zikes! Not for the VR6! And multiple comments posted about dealers just using the 5w40 they always have, intentionally or not.

I wanted to do my own oil changes anyway but stuff like that scares me off dealer changes for good. The thought of somebody dumping 0w20 in my VR6 because 98% of the Passats are 4 bangers is the stuff of nightmares for a Bitoger.

Ok. I've sat and read my manual...again. here's my final take away and interpretation for my 2018...I realize this may be different for 2019...

1) first hurtle is 502.
2) 0w30 502 is what it came with.
3) if 0w30 502 is not a available use a 502 at a viscosity appropriate to your climate.
4) if 502 is not available (regardless of viscosity) you can use a 504.
5) if neither 502 or 504 (regardless of viscosity) is available use a 5w40 or 5w30 meeting ACEA A3/B4 and API SN to top it off until you can get oil meeting 1-4 above.

Takeaways. 5w40 502 is just fine and absolutely meets what is lined out in the manual (my no. 3). 0w40 502 is fine and meets what is lined out in the manual (my no. 3). I think no.5 is confusing folks but that is specifically related to non-502/504 oils....5w40 is fine if it meets 502/504.

oil_manual.jpg

I'm starting to think - just a theory, the Technicians at the factory may be trying to tell us something the Owners Manual doesn't. First, the Owner's Manual is way too confusing on the subject, but it does say that 0W-30, VW 502 00 should be used in all regions and conditions, with few exceptions. On the other hand, the Technicians at the factory are saying, with a prominently place sticker right in front of the engine, that 0W-30 should be used if "expressly" VW 504 00 approved. Perhaps they know something the writers of the manual don't, or just can't say...using a low-viscosity 0W-30 oil that 'only' meets VW 502 00 specs may not provide the best level of engine protection - they may be trying to tell us that 0W-30 oil is the approved choice for best economy and protection of the emission control systems, but must also be VW 504 00 approved for adequate engine protection, which is far superior to VW 502 00 oils. Just a theory, I hope we hear something soon from VW soon. So for now, I'm leaning toward Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W-30 (504 00/507 00 Approved) - just can't find it in any of my local stores.

Another confusing aspect which may affect my choice in oil is our gasoline quality and its affect on VW 504 00 oils - Ultra Low-Sulfur, Regular-Sulfur, SAP, Tier 2, Tier 3, etc., etc.? Not knowing much about the gasoline standards in my region, could VW 502 00 still be the better choice, or are the factory Technicians still on solid ground with their VW 504 00 sticker?

TW

This is a silly discussion. 504 0W-30, 502 0W-40, it doesn't matter from a viscosity standpoint, they all are similar and have an HTHS of 3.5ish. Do you want full saps or mid/low saps?

It ain't a diesel, there's no DPF...

Mine is getting M1 FS 0W-40.

Originally Posted by TWsVW
I'm starting to think - just a theory, the Technicians at the factory may be trying to tell us something the Owners Manual doesn't. First, the Owner's Manual is way too confusing on the subject, but it does say that 0W-30, VW 502 00 should be used in all regions and conditions, with few exceptions. On the other hand, the Technicians at the factory are saying, with a prominently place sticker right in front of the engine, that 0W-30 should be used if "expressly" VW 504 00 approved. Perhaps they know something the writers of the manual don't, or just can't say...using a low-viscosity 0W-30 oil that 'only' meets VW 502 00 specs may not provide the best level of engine protection - they may be trying to tell us that 0W-30 oil is the approved choice for best economy and protection of the emission control systems, but must also be VW 504 00 approved for adequate engine protection, which is far superior to VW 502 00 oils. Just a theory, I hope we hear something soon from VW soon. So for now, I'm leaning toward Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W-30 (504 00/507 00 Approved) - just can't find it in any of my local stores.

Another confusing aspect which may affect my choice in oil is our gasoline quality and its affect on VW 504 00 oils - Ultra Low-Sulfur, Regular-Sulfur, SAP, Tier 2, Tier 3, etc., etc.? Not knowing much about the gasoline standards in my region, could VW 502 00 still be the better choice, or are the factory Technicians still on solid ground with their VW 504 00 sticker?

TW

Can anyone help explain how my 'gasoline' quality and VW 502 00 vs.VW 504 00 oils effect, if any, Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR); Production of Solid Particulates (i.e., Soot); Oil Acidification; and, Oil Change Interval?

TW

TW

Can anyone help explain how my 'gasoline' quality and VW 502 00 vs.VW 504 00 oils effect, if any, Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR); Production of Solid Particulates (i.e., Soot); Oil Acidification; and, Oil Change Interval?

TW

Numerous topics here, and I have to sound like this, but do research! I know it is easier just to ask question, and I know there is expectation of people owning you answer, but of 3,000 hypothetical topics here, 1500 are around sulfur in gas.
VW502.00 is Full-SAPS (look what SAPS is) and can retain TBN (look TBN) longer.
VW504.00/507.00 are Low-SAPS oils made primarily for diesel and gas engines (Europe) where ULSD and ULSG is available (Low-SAPS oil is necessary for diesel engines eqipped with DPF). Sulfur is what will "get" your TBN in oil in direct injection engines.
If you do not want to research about this, use Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS available in Wal Mart and call it a day.

Last edited:
The manual says every 10k miles, if I'm using the right oil? I just don't understand the differences between the manual (VW 502 00) and the factory advisory sticker (VW 504 00). VW 502 00 oils seem to be the norm, but VW 504 00 seems to provide better wear protection. 0W-30 is specified in both the manual and the advisory sticker, but I haven't seen any 0W-30's that are VW 504 00 approved (all seem to be 5W-30). The manual says that the factory filled was SAE 0W-30, so I think I'll just go with Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4 (VW 502 00) on the new engine for now and have the oil analyzed at some point. Just wish VW would clear-up the confusion...there are some Technical Bulletins out there for the Atlas, but I just don't have access:

2052987/1 17-18-02TT - Engine Oil Type and Viscosity Change for New Model Year

2012855/19 17-18-05 - Engine Oils Which Meet Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards (U.S. Only)

TW

The approved oil list us out there if you do some searching. Why not just call a few dealers and ask their service mgr about the bulletin you listed? It's not a secret.

Only 504 0W-30 I'm aware of is M1 ESP 0W-30. Very hard to find and it's expensive.

But remember, it's the specification/approval that matters, not the SAE grade. 5W-30 504 is every bit as good for warranty purposes as the 0W.

There are some 0w30 504's out there, Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX, Mobil 1 ESP and Motul 504 specific come to mind. Shouldn't be hard to find online.

The manual says every 10k miles, if I'm using the right oil? I just don't understand the differences between the manual (VW 502 00) and the factory advisory sticker (VW 504 00). VW 502 00 oils seem to be the norm, but VW 504 00 seems to provide better wear protection. 0W-30 is specified in both the manual and the advisory sticker, but I haven't seen any 0W-30's that are VW 504 00 approved (all seem to be 5W-30). The manual says that the factory filled was SAE 0W-30, so I think I'll just go with Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4 (VW 502 00) on the new engine for now and have the oil analyzed at some point. Just wish VW would clear-up the confusion...there are some Technical Bulletins out there for the Atlas, but I just don't have access:

2012855/19 17-18-05 - Engine Oils Which Meet Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards (U.S. Only)

TW

OK, again, your Atlas DID NOT come with 0W30 oil. It is VW's usual mistake in manual. Welcome to the club, it is ongoing affair since 1997!
There was a time when Audi S4 was coming with 0W30 oil, and I think that ended up in Atlas manual.
You need VW502.00 oil! That is it. ANY oil with that approval will do it, whether it is 0W30, 5W30, 0W40 or 5W40 or even some 10W40. On top of that, VR6 is not that demanding.
Get Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS in Wal Mart. Both are APPROVED by VW for using in engines requiring VW502.00 oils.
Castrol 0W30 is same oil basically as 0W40 except few minor chemistry details. You do not need it and you are wasting money. VW acknowledge confusion in manual in VW Atlas.

TW

VW 50400 is variable service long life oils which OEM does recommend for 30,000 km for vehicles with service indicator, which yours does.
VW 50200 is for fixed service for 15,000 km (9300 miles).
Your FF of 0W30 is likely a VW 50400, not VW 50200 as I understand it.
Since you're not considering 18,000 miles or thereabout , you may deselect higher spec'ed VW 50400 which is pricey with availability issue.
At 10,000 miles OCI, your selection of VW 50200 is appropriate and value for money, whatever oil brands.
Edge 0W30 A3B4 VW 50200 would do the job, but I'm biased towards a VW 50200 that carries a C3 (whether 0W30 or 5W30 in your context) just as a VW 50400 is always a C3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back