Canadian Tire no longer carrying M1 ESP Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I recently noticed that Canadian Tire was not replenishing their stock of ESP Formula Mobil 1, and now they are putting their remaining stock on clearance (still overpriced at almost $12 per liter though!) So it could just be because M1 has reformulated 5w30 ESP Formula (and it's now just called ESP) and eventually they will restock with that, or it could be that it's such a slow seller that they won't even bother stocking it at all. That doesn't bode well for the future possibility of them stocking the new 0w40 ESP Formula (which isn't exactly a high demand oil even in the US, even a lot of Corvette owners are shying away from it because of the higher price compared to regular M1 5w30 that they've all been using with good results for decades)

I just put in a fresh batch of ESP Formula 5w30 a few weeks ago and I have enough to do one more oil change and then that's it for this oil in the Corvette unfortunately (I love the specs on this oil with it's super low 0.6 SA and the low NOACK). I'm not 100% sure what I will use going forward but since I have over $50 in Canadian Tire money it makes sense that I'd like to keep my oil purchases through them in the future. Even before this all happened I had been considering switching over to Pennzoil Euro L 5w30, mainly because it's price is so much better, it's often on sale for $31.50 for the 5L jug, much better than $17.29 per liter for ESP Formula (and it never went on sale) I just have a fear that the Euro L isn't a big seller at Canadian Tire either and it could be next on the chopping block. I really like the idea of using a dexos2 5w30 in my Corvette, I think the low SAPs nature of these oils is better for the direct injection, plus the higher HTHS (3.5 or higher) is also a good thing to have. So hopefully in the future there will be more dexos2 5w30 options as well.

Originally Posted by Patman
I recently noticed that Canadian Tire was not replenishing their stock of ESP Formula Mobil 1, and now they are putting their remaining stock on clearance (still overpriced at almost $12 per liter though!) So it could just be because M1 has reformulated 5w30 ESP Formula (and it's now just called ESP) and eventually they will restock with that, or it could be that it's such a slow seller that they won't even bother stocking it at all. That doesn't bode well for the future possibility of them stocking the new 0w40 ESP Formula (which isn't exactly a high demand oil even in the US, even a lot of Corvette owners are shying away from it because of the higher price compared to regular M1 5w30 that they've all been using with good results for decades)

I just put in a fresh batch of ESP Formula 5w30 a few weeks ago and I have enough to do one more oil change and then that's it for this oil in the Corvette unfortunately (I love the specs on this oil with it's super low 0.6 SA and the low NOACK). I'm not 100% sure what I will use going forward but since I have over $50 in Canadian Tire money it makes sense that I'd like to keep my oil purchases through them in the future. Even before this all happened I had been considering switching over to Pennzoil Euro L 5w30, mainly because it's price is so much better, it's often on sale for $31.50 for the 5L jug, much better than $17.29 per liter for ESP Formula (and it never went on sale) I just have a fear that the Euro L isn't a big seller at Canadian Tire either and it could be next on the chopping block. I really like the idea of using a dexos2 5w30 in my Corvette, I think the low SAPs nature of these oils is better for the direct injection, plus the higher HTHS (3.5 or higher) is also a good thing to have. So hopefully in the future there will be more dexos2 5w30 options as well.

I also considered Platinum Euro L 5W30 but the low (3ppm) Moly was a deal-breaker...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4514349/Pennzoil_Platinum_Euro_L_5W30_

Low moly isn't a deal breaker for me at all, keeping in mind the original green GC 0w30 had no moly in it and it was an excellent oil.

Originally Posted by Garak
Don't be afraid to check Imperial Oil or Blue Wave to get the brand and viscosity you want, if Canadian Tire isn't being helpful.

Keep in mind I've got a lot of Canadian Tire money to spend, plus I get even more CT money when I buy the oil from there too, so there is a huge incentive for me to buy all of my oil there in the future. Plus I like the convenience of it, since there are two CT locations within 5km of my house.

I can't blame you for that, but Canadian Tire has all kinds of tools you could buy, too.
wink.gif
If it came to Delvac 1, for CT money to be worth it, they'd have to give me about 25% Canadian Tire money for the purchase, and that's on special. But, yes, their PCMO specials have definitely improved.

Originally Posted by turnbowm
Originally Posted by Patman

I also considered Platinum Euro L 5W30 but the low (3ppm) Moly was a deal-breaker...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4514349/Pennzoil_Platinum_Euro_L_5W30_

What is the moly content if the Mobil esp 5w30 and what is the moley content in the mobil 0w40 spced oil for the Corvette compared to the Pennzoil 5w30 euroL.

Originally Posted by Crobinson16
Originally Posted by turnbowm

What is the moly content if the Mobil esp 5w30 and what is the moley content in the mobil 0w40 spced oil for the Corvette compared to the Pennzoil 5w30 euroL.

Moly is considerably higher (~80ppm) in Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 and ESP 0W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back