Wrong ATF Fluid in my 07 Chevy Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally Drained my trans, changed filter and put Dextron 3 Valvoline Stop Leak instead of Dex 6.

Haven't driven the car since cos I was nervous it would harm the trans.

After realizing, I opened and drained whatever was in trans and filled with correct Dex 6.

Never did a complete flush tho.

Is this ok? Or should I really take it to get a full flush out?
I would do the full flush out but having a hard time removing the O ring that holds the OUT transmission tubing into the radiator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much

Correct. I took mainly the Dex 6 and then Saw this Stop leak version so I figured I would put it in with the rest of them since my car has 110,000 miles.

Saw Dex on the bottle and didn't think to make sure it was for 6 and not 3

Last edited:
If you didn't drive the car after putting the incorrect fluid in...it should completely (or close enough to it) drain out when opened.

At any rate I wouldn't worry about it at all. I would avoid using any kind of 'Stop Leak' product (especially if you don't have a leak)….

4T6xE trans won't care.

That's an old trans, been in use since the mid 90s on Dex III and everything to current.

You're fine to go
smile.gif

2006 was the cut-off year for the new Dexron 6 based mainly due to the new 6 speed transmissions introduced in that time. Your transmission is an older 4 speed design (if I recall properly) that was designed years prior and to use Dexron 3 is ok. Valvoline MAXLIFE in the red bottle is Dexron 6 compatible and is a great value compared to Dexron 6 itself.I think you will be ok the way you are.

If you have the 4 speed 4t65 it won't make any difference. In 2006 they changed to Dex 6 but it's still the same transmission. I still use Dex 3 in mine because I like to keep my fluid fresh and change it often. The Dex 6 is a bit thinner and some 4t65ts experience the rev clunk problem. Dex 3 is a little thicker and helps a little. BTW the rev clunk issue is not fatal, just annoying. Some people think their trans is failing when it's just normal operation of a GM design failure.

welcome2.gif

It will probably be ok, although it may not last as long as a full-synthetic Dexron VI

Also, if your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, then get an aftermarket pan that has one. It will make future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

I started the car and let it run for like 20 mins just to see if I needed to add more ATF.
So it did get mixed around unfortunately.

Forgot to mention...that I actually put in 6 of the valvoline dex3 stop leak (as directed by an auto parts store). Something told me to look on the back of the bottle and it said to only use 1 quart stop leak for every 10 quarts reg fluid. I had already put the 6th one in.
That's when I turned the car off and drained the pan again.

I do seem to maybe have a small leak cos the fluid was a little low when checking dipstick which is why I decided to change the fluid initially.

At this point and in light of this new information, I would do a complete exchange with a Dex VI fluid.

You don't want every internal O-ring expanding too much and causing future problems.

Last edited:
Both seals and gaskets "prevent" loss of fluids but there is a difference and even parts guys don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two:

When discussing seals such as in engines, transmissions, and other driveline components, the context is that of using flexible, elastomeric materials to keep fluids contained within the mechanical system that have rotating components exiting the enclosed system, such as protruding rotating shafts.

For a gasket, the context is that of using a material (such as silicone or cork or a composite), or some other material to keep fluids contained in and around stationary areas, such as the valve cover gasket on an engine or the pan gasket on an automatic transmission.

Stop leak fluids have little effect on Gaskets, so if you have a leak to the outside, it is usually due to a Gasket, not a Seal.

Now on older vehicles or vehicles with rear wheel drives, the most common fluid leak occurs because of a worn tailshaft seal, and is mostly seen when parking on an upslope where the rear of the vehicle is below the front.

On front wheel drive vehicles, the most common fluid leak is due to the pan gasket, in my experience.

Last edited:
Yeah. That would be my gut too. Just exchange and do a complete flush.
Prob have to take it to a shop now cos I can't remove the o clamp from the bottom of the radiator to really pull the fluid thats in the torque converter and etc.

I replaced the gasket just in case. So hopefully if there was a leak thru the gasket, it won't be doing that anymore.

How often do you recommend I change the ATF in general?

I'm def gonna buy the drain pain with a plug. Makes a fluid change so much easier.

Appreciate everyone's input. You guys are awesome.
What a great forum Bob created!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CM613

I'm def gonna buy the drain pain with a plug.

In that case I would buy the pan and install it (which gives you another drain & fill). Then maybe a couple more drain & fills after that. Between the drains be sure to drive a few miles to flush the new fluid through. I would feel comfortable doing that vs paying a shop to flush.

Originally Posted by sprite1741
If you have the 4 speed 4t65 it won't make any difference. In 2006 they changed to Dex 6 but it's still the same transmission. I still use Dex 3 in mine because I like to keep my fluid fresh and change it often. The Dex 6 is a bit thinner and some 4t65ts experience the rev clunk problem. Dex 3 is a little thicker and helps a little. BTW the rev clunk issue is not fatal, just annoying. Some people think their trans is failing when it's just normal operation of a GM design failure.
Hey!
shocked2.gif
A fellow LS4 owner!

The "rev clunk" you mention, are you referring to when you're stopped, light turns green, you press the gas (rev) and take off much slower than usual then 1-3 seconds later... CLUNK and off we go? I have had this happen a few times and it is very unsettling. I've been religious with changing the fluid and sometimes the filter (meaning not too often). So you use Dex 3? I've been using Valvoline "full syn" Dex VI, and after a few changes started regularly using Lubegard red (which has made a positive improvement). It's been working great except for the occasional problem I mentioned. The only pattern I can somewhat establish is that extra weight (4-5 people in car) seems to agitate it more often than if only 1-2 people were in it, and there's no correlation to trans temp. Sometimes it'll do it 2-3 miles after a cold start, other times fully warmed. Strangely, if I baby it after it does it, more often than not it will repeat once or twice. But if it clunks and I goose it a little, it won't repeat
21.gif
. What's worth mentioning is that I've had a moderate leak at the trans cooler lines where they enter/exit the trans. So I'm regularly adding fresh fluid on top of my ~30k drains. I know, I need to fix that
06.gif

What's your mileage? DOD active or disabled? Any trans work?

That red bottle Valvoline Dex 3 stop leak stuff is NOT designed to be used as regular transmission fluid. It's really not great you put a whole bunch in. Yes, on the back it states you should use like 1 quart of that for your whole transmission.

I'd do several drain and fills with regular ATF (Valvoline Maxlife ATF is fine) and just drive the car around the block in between or something. Get most of it out, then don't worry about it.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of stop-leak in any transmission, the polymeric/ester-based ones like what's in that MaxLife stop leak is more benign than Trans-X or ATP205 but you don't need to make matters worse in a 4T-6xE, especially it's the variant used in the Impala SS or the Volvo XC90.

Do a complete fluid exchange, or at the very least a few spill and fills with GM approved Dexron VI fluid or MaxLife ATF(and make sure it's the "DEX VI/MERC LV" version, in quotes since it's not officially GM/Ford approved for either but it will still work).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back