Advice on spark plugs for 90,000 mile Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!
I have a 2012 V6 Accord I bought new. I have really kept up well on all maintenance and have really gone above and beyond as I plan to keep this car for 300,000+ miles. So far it has been awesome with out a single problem and seems to be running as well as the day I bought it new. Spark plugs are due now at 90,000 miles but I want to know if I can put it off til the major 106,000 mile timing belt/water pump/tensioner job? I was going to do plugs and tune up then and get everything dont at one time. Car is running great and I just want to know if it is safe to wait and do the plugs at 106,000 miles are if I should do them now to avoid any possible damage?
Anything else I should do to keep it in tip top shape? I have already changed all fluids multiple times in the past 90,000 miles and full Mobil 1 0w20 every 5,000 miles. Many thanks!

I would definitely go with OEM parts. Spark plugs can wait, as long as they function.

Yes, you can wait until the TB job to do the spark plugs
thumbsup2.gif

Use the OE type NGK or Denso iridium plugs to get the same service life. And for the TB, get the Aisin kit
smile.gif

I thought the MM would have put the plugs and TB at the same time anyway. Is the MM telling you to do the plugs now? Is that 5k OCI the one suggested by your MM? Do you follow the MM? The only experience I have with MM Hondas is an 8th gen Civic that doesn't have a TB.

It will probably tell you to change the coolant at that time, too. Pentofrost A3, Zerex Blue, or Pep Boys Rechochem OEM Blue are all good choices

Thanks guys! I do not go by the maintenance minder. It usually will come on about 8,000 or so miles so to keep it easy to remember and track I just change engine oil at 5,000 miles. ATF I do a drain and fill ever 15,000 miles and P/S, brake fluid and coolant ever 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Yes, you can wait until the TB job to do the spark plugs
thumbsup2.gif

Use the OE type NGK or Denso iridium plugs to get the same service life. And for the TB, get the Aisin kit
smile.gif

I thought the MM would have put the plugs and TB at the same time anyway. Is the MM telling you to do the plugs now? Is that 5k OCI the one suggested by your MM? Do you follow the MM? The only experience I have with MM Hondas is an 8th gen Civic that doesn't have a TB.

It will probably tell you to change the coolant at that time, too. Pentofrost A3, Zerex Blue, or Pep Boys Rechochem OEM Blue are all good choices

What he said. The Aisin kit is great, and can't go wrong with NGK or Denso.

Wait and do it all one time. Get OEM parts including the spark plugs - check what the owner's manual calls for.

For Hondas I maintain past and present I'm partial to NGK, for me specifically it's been the Iridium IX. In your case, the OE plug is the NGK 7751 {#ILZKR7B11} Laser Iridium, more expensive than the IX. However being the OE plug, that's what I'd go with. I don't see any reason why you can't wait till the major TB/WP service for the plugs. The extra miles won't make a significant difference.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
For Hondas I maintain past and present I'm partial to NGK, for me specifically it's been the Iridium IX. In your case, the OE plug is the NGK 7751 {#ILZKR7B11} Laser Iridium, more expensive than the IX. However being the OE plug, that's what I'd go with. I don't see any reason why you can't wait till the major TB/WP service for the plugs. The extra miles won't make a significant difference.

Just get Denso Iridium TT to replace NGK Laser Iridium for faster response, longer ignition component life and sometimes cheaper price.

I'm partial to NGK plugs myself. Swapped my Caliber over from the factory copper plugs to NGK iridium plugs. Made absolutely 0 difference in the way it drives or fuel economy, I just think a 2012 4 cylinder calling for new plugs every 30k is ridiculous.

The 100K+mile iridium plug replacement interval probably works fine for most. I do that change at less mileage/time because I'm more concerned (perhaps baselessly) about a plug with that much time/heat cycles seizing in an aluminum cylinder head. Plugs, even iridiums, are basically pretty cheap items, so I tend to do them at 60K or 75K. Four of them don't add much weight or volume to a RockAuto order when the shipping for something else I need is starting from the same warehouse. Changing them is a 15-minute job I can do in my garage, as long as the old ones willl turn.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
You certainly can wait, but really there is no synergy between the the timing belt/ water pump/ tensioner job and the spark plugs. I'd look at it as knocking off one job at a time.

Pulling the plugs makes it a little easier to turn the crank when you are setting up and testing the timing.

This engine has adjustable valves, right? Personally, I would skip valve adjustment until 200k since it's a pain.

The plugs are fine. I changed mine at 125K and put NGKs in. However you are needlessly changing oil too soon. I would double that to 10K as you are using M1 0-20EP. Notice my 2007 Ford Fusion at the bottom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
The plugs are fine. I changed mine at 125K and put NGKs in. However you are needlessly changing oil too soon. I would double that to 10K as you are using M1 0-20EP. Notice my 2007 Ford Fusion at the bottom.

I agree....even if you are using regular Mobil 1 (AFE)...I think 7500 miles would be my minimum OCI....10K with the EP...

NGK or Denso OEM type is the way to go for these. Follow Honda's maintenance minder.

A VCMuzzler is the best thing you can do for a Honda V6, the VCM system on these is known for issues.

I'm partial to NGK plugs myself. Swapped my Caliber over from the factory copper plugs to NGK iridium plugs. Made absolutely 0 difference in the way it drives or fuel economy, I just think a 2012 4 cylinder calling for new plugs every 30k is ridiculous.---

Your ignition components will last a lot longer with your switch.

NGK plugs on the V6. That's all I've ever used. I think those plugs are good for 105K miles and Surprisedly, they are easy to change out, just don't over-torque them, hand tight, then a quarter turn on the ratchet.

Originally Posted by nicholas
I'm partial to NGK plugs myself. Swapped my Caliber over from the factory copper plugs to NGK iridium plugs. Made absolutely 0 difference in the way it drives or fuel economy, I just think a 2012 4 cylinder calling for new plugs every 30k is ridiculous.---

Your ignition components will last a lot longer with your switch.

My parents have a 2007 with 150k in it, it's seen 2 spark plug changes in its life! Still on the factory coil packs. They've been incredibly lucky with that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back