Mecredes Bosch vs Ngk sparks plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't decide which sparks plug to choose between these two.

NGK OE equivalent spark plug is the Laser Platinum PLKR7A stock no. 4288

Or

Bosch Double Platinum Spark Plug

On mbworld.org forum people are getting better gas mileage with NGK Laser platinum and a lot of people switching over to ngk over Bosch oem. I think Bosch plug was a colder plug and people switching to ngk which is hotter plug and no wonder they're getting better gas mileage.
On Bosch plug no anti-sieze is required and I don't know about ngk.

I want to know if mecredes put in colder sparks plug then I want to use colder plug and not change them to hotter plug.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and my information about.

2011 mecredes E350

How difficult are they to change? If easy use what you want and test. If difficult , i'd go with the iridium.

I use a small bit of anti-seize on all sparkplugs whether required or not.

NGK 7 heat range is colder than Bosch heat range 7.

The center electrode tip is typically smaller with iridium compared to platinum.

iirc, NGK irdium is about .7mm diameter versus 1.1mm for platinum.

the center electrode tip diameter plays into the flame kernel formation and proprogation

This will quickly turn into a NGK vs Bosch debate.....

If the NGK is a hotter heat range plug, How can it be OE equivalent? Manufactures spec a heat range based on MANY factors......Max Load at High Ambient temperatures is usually a big part of it as this is where too hot of a plug can cause damage to both the spark plugs & the engine.

Both brand plugs will have a nickel plating, Follow the FSM.

Originally Posted by Rohan

On mbworld.org forum people are getting better gas mileage with NGK Laser platinum and a lot of people switching over to ngk over Bosch oem.

As long as they are being honest about the results of the change.

What was OEM in the first place - Mercedes uses both Bosch and NGK in their engines.

The OE Finewire series of Bosch's plugs are far superior to their Platinum series with the tapered center electrode.

I put those NGK 4288 plugs in my car too. I was just following the advice of the forum though. They seemed to be fine, it's only been a couple years though. Wasn't paying that much attention to the gas mileage so can't really say if it was better or worse. Mine can range anywhere from 16-24 depending on what the mix of city/highway driving plus traffic. It would have been hard to notice a tiny uptick in mileage with that kind of variation.

I have tried both Bosch Ir fusion and NGK Iridium IX on merc after replacing the original copper plug. The result, the Bosch iridium died within 10k km due to fouling and the NGK survives for long time including coolant leak eipsode. As much as I like Bosch OE Iridium performance, I am leery on their ceramic quality, I have got 2 episodes of ceramic breaking into 2, and so far none with NGK or Denso.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

So easy. Mercedes has some fantastic trickery in their ignitions with multi-strike capabilities and probably more stuff they don't even talk about.

Go OEM please....

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by clinebarger

So easy. Mercedes has some fantastic trickery in their ignitions with multi-strike capabilities and probably more stuff they don't even talk about.

Go OEM please....

Multispark was in their 2012 60 degree V6 direct injection engine. The 2011 is still the older 90 degree M272 V6 engine.

I don't know anything about spark plug I know colder plug is for prevent engine noise or something . All I was worry about is that why everyone was switching to ngk plug. I'm saying is that if car came with the colder plug then use colder plug. I'm going to email bosh to see what's the heat range for Bosch plug and compare them to NGK Laser plug.

Last edited:
the exotic metal aka $$$ are for longevity only + the only gains if any are likely from slightly worn OE plugs. exotic metals are POOR conductors, so if changes are an easy DIY use the standard NGK $2 plugs if you can match them up!!

Assuming you've owned the car since new, I'd suggest sticking whatever came with it. Just pull one out and look at it so you know what to order online or get at the parts store? This is BITOG most of us have more than one car so this isn't impractical
wink.gif

Originally Posted by benjy
the exotic metal aka $$$ are for longevity only + the only gains if any are likely from slightly worn OE plugs. exotic metals are POOR conductors, so if changes are an easy DIY use the standard NGK $2 plugs if you can match them up!!

I wouldn't stray away from OEM plug composition on a newer car - and the tip of a proper(not counting the original Bosch Platinum/+2/+4 and Ir Fusion lines) platinum/iridium plug still has the copper core conductor. It's just a small disc of Pt/Ir welded to the NiCu base.

The Benz is probably a PITA to change plugs on - the intake plenum and/or the PCM might need to be removed to gain access to the coils.

Originally Posted by nthach
The Benz is probably a PITA to change plugs on - the intake plenum and/or the PCM might need to be removed to gain access to the coils.

The M272 engine is easy peasy. Just unscrew the coil on each plug. The next year was much harder on the new direct injection engine, they normally remove the intake to change the plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back