2008 Chevy Malibu 3.6L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What kind of vehicle you have
2008 Chevy Malibu 3.6L V6. 160k mi
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
SAE 5W-30, GM6094M, API Starburst Symbol. Change at least once a year, or when the Engine Oil Life System says to do so.
3. Where you live
Kansas City, MO
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Easy most of the time. Sometimes hard and fast.
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Commute to work is mostly City streets, and close to me. Do delivery driving in the mornings, where I'll drive 15 miles to the office buildings downtown, via the highway, then make 5 drops in the area where I park, turn the vehicle off, take the food in, drive a short ways to the next building, and repeat. Then back to work via the highway.
6. Whether your car has any known problems
Windshield wiper fluid pump needs to be replaced, or unclogged. Other than that, nothing.

Personally, any 5w30 will work! My brother had a Malibu Maxx and the engine out lived the trans so now it sits at our grandmothers until I get around to fixing it. I personally Use AMSOIL but depending on what you are wanting I don't think you could go wrong with really any Conventional or Synthetic oil.

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Impala 3.5 V6 Flex Fuel with 82,000 miles on it . I normally do 5K oil changes and use either Mobile 1 HM synthetic or Pennzoil HM synthetic. This last time I purchased the extended Mobile 1 HM oil so I am going out to 10K to see how it goes. I agree with what BigShug said as I very much pay attention to the transmission as I do an exchange about every 20,000 to 25,000 miles. I have not experienced any issues with this regiment with either the engine or transmission. I just completed a water pump replacement today and took the opportunity to flush the coolant as I did a full fluid flush 3 years ago. I live in Central Texas (work in Austin) commute about 40 miles round trip to and from work. Mostly on highway but you do get stop and go traffic at several areas. No known problems the car looks great as I keep it polished and wax plus clean the engine every 3 months .

2005 Malibu ,135k,wifes car,short trips,one owner ,garaged two small oil leaks 3 drops per week.vave cover ,rear main seal,quoted $1,500 to fix. 3.5 v6.

Originally Posted by oilmutt
2005 Malibu ,135k,wifes car,short trips,one owner ,garaged two small oil leaks 3 drops per week.vave cover ,rear main seal,quoted $1,500 to fix. 3.5 v6.

For $1500 you live with the 3 drops? Ouch!

2008 Malibu LTZ
3.6 VVT
Pennz Platinum 5w30
NAPA/WIX 57045 filter
11.gif

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
How many miles per year?

Just about 12,000 miles per year has been the average since I've owned it (2016).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back