power company merged and I got the shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm supposed to have a contract for a 12 month fixed rate plan at 10.6 cents and that includes all the other delivery charges also. I received two letters in the mail stating my rate would stay the same bla bla bla. My bill is usually somewhere between 80-100 bucks a month. Well I get hit with a $245.00 bill for 1500 kwh when all summer I never used more than 800. Also the company they either switched to or merged with is now charging me 16.5 cents per kwh plus all the TDU delivery charges. Now i'm stuck paying this bill and hope that they will get it corrected within 2 to 3 billing cycles. I talked to so many supervisors until I was blue in the face and gave up.

Opinions? I'm so tired of baby sitting people making sure things get done right.

I like the fixed plans otherwise you'll get a bill for $10 dollars worth of electricity usage and $100 worth of delivery charges.

For most issues with utilities (disclaimer, I work for one), the method of last resort is the public service commission

Since most utilities are granted regulated monopolies, they do have mandatory oversight in exchange for the privilege

Public Utility Commission of Texas

https://www.puc.texas.gov

Switch power companies

Cirro always did me well.

I'm on "Heart of Texas Co-op Power" and I have NO ABILITY to choose a different provider

Time to document in writing your complaints.

Provide a letter with each incorrect bill a complaint letter with a computation with what you believe the bill should be, based on your fixed rate contract that is supposed to be in effect. Summarize what has been computed in correctly to date in each letter. Pay the bill, but make it clear that your computation and contract shows a different amount.

If the situation is not fixed in two more billing cycles, initiate a complaint with the Public Service Commission, using your letters and substantiating info (the Power Company's statement that your rate would not change in the transition) . Include a memorandum stating the number of times and names of supervisors you have talked to in the past.

If you were under contract with the original utility and they sold your contract to another company they are obligated to maintain your original contract until it expires ( in Connecticut)

Try to work the word Misrepresentation into the conversation, Works with the DUPC.

TOMB

I was amazed at how fast the gas company responded to the Missouri public services commission. I called and called trying to get someone for resolution. No one, repeat no one, even sitting on hold with the speaker phone on for 4 hours while I was working. One call to them, I got a call the next day, things were fixed, I got 3 letters of apology, one from the CEO, one from the customer service manager and one from the local office. I then got a call from the public service comission, asking if things were fixed to my satisfaction. WOW.

Rod

I'll give them a call on Monday then I guess. I'm not going to start off another day yelling at someone again. Keep in mind I've already called like 3 previous times being given the runaround.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I like the fixed plans otherwise you'll get a bill for $10 dollars worth of electricity usage and $100 worth of delivery charges.

That's how it was with my apartment, maybe not to that extent.

But, the overall cost of my electricity was generally between $.35 to $.45/kwh with delivery charges figured in.

It's amazing, I move into a house that's old and drafty and my heat/electric bill halves itself.

The propane company for our ski place insists on billing monthly and charges $10 per bill to cover their billing costs.
So we all get bills for $10 per month all summer while nobody is using any propane (maybe a few people have stoves on it, IDK).
This company is getting dumped when the present contract is up.

Here all the savings are on 3 month contracts. The added admin time of switching plans to save .01 cent a kwh is a hassle. All it takes it one screw up (missing the letter, or the company botching the switch) and your "savings" disappear.

A few years back, you could lock in at a good rate. Now all the long term contracts (12 month and above) are higher than the utility. Very odd business model.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I was amazed at how fast the gas company responded to the Missouri public services commission. I called and called trying to get someone for resolution. No one, repeat no one, even sitting on hold with the speaker phone on for 4 hours while I was working. One call to them, I got a call the next day, things were fixed, I got 3 letters of apology, one from the CEO, one from the customer service manager and one from the local office. I then got a call from the public service comission, asking if things were fixed to my satisfaction. WOW.

Rod
They were trying to shake you off until you called in the heavies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back