Douglas Tires anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has run a couple sets to 30k … and that's all he gets from BFG, Conti, and other more expensive tires …
(I could see a good driver get 35-40k) …

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I put 225/55R17 "H" speed rated General RT43's on my Dad's 2012 Cruze 2LT...

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/general-altimax-rt43/p/28830

There is also an Arizonian from Discount Tire...

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/arizonian-silver-edition-iii/p/29953

I had put a set of the Arizionan Silver Edition III on a Camry that my son drove thinking we would be letting it go within a year for something else.
He ended up driving it a little more than a year, then instead of selling the car I gave it to a grand daughter.
She put a lot of miles on them. Drove them in light snow, dirt roads and lots of highway miles. Never an issue and they wore good.
If I recall correctly, was told they were made by Cooper Tires.

We're running a set of DT house tires on one of the vehicles (Yokohama YK740 GTX on wife's Lexus RX330). So far so good. Quiet ride, wet traction.

At my nearest Walmart that sells tires, the US-made Douglas tires have been replaced by Indonesian tires of exactly the same prices. Strange that nobody has mentioned that in this thread. Douglas brand tires are still in their web site, though.

I put all four on my daily beater Honda Accord. They are pretty good and made at the same plant where Kelly Springfield tires used to come from. Goodyear bought that plant started making Douglas tires, exclusive for Walmart. I am satisfied with it, but I also know that expecting them to last more than 45k is probably too much. If they give me decent 40k miles, I am happy. Oh, and I didn't signup for road hazard from Walmart. Their service and program is not as good as Costco, and at $12 per tire, it is kind of useless go through hassle to get it fixed or replaced under hazard warranty. The new tire costs $51.

I bought Douglas All-Seasons for my wife's and daughter's cars (wife drives our '13 Hyundai Accent, daughter has '07 Ford Focus). Having had great luck from the old Xtra-Trac and Xtra-Trac IIs, I figured these would be good. WRONG. The ones on the Accent are ridiculously noisy (not that the car is quiet to begin with), and the Focus has had a blowout about once every 6 to 8 months. Fortunately I got the road hazard, and Walmart has honored it.

We won't be buying them again.

I'm using Cooper CS5 Grand Tourings on my Prius V at work (driven 280 miles a day, 5 days a week). I've got about 10K on them so far and they're great. If you can go that route, I think you'll find them a good choice.

they are a decent bargain buy.

I have put them on a few vehicles, a friends, sister in laws etc.

and for what you pay for them they are a good tire.

I see them on vehicles all over in my area

Douglas is a good tire,basically goodyear's economy brand labeled Douglas just for WalMart. Similar to the Michelin X tour tires that are the same as the Defender but labeled as X tour for Sam's club and priced about 20% less. Similar to the way Uniroyal is Michelins budget brand.

Got curious, am bumping this thread.

Wore out my beloved RT43's in 25k, looking to replace. RT43's are $73/ea while Douglas is $40/ea. [Mount and balance separate.] Worth trying at least once? I do nothing but highway so keeping drone down would be important to me.

I know the RT43's were 600 treadwear and these are 420, so I'm guessing long life is probably not in the cards.

I might just have to try that--worst case, they come off after a few months and I flip on CL or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back