Cox Modem Info???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need advice on a new setup. I have Cox internet and am renting an ArrisDG2460 for $10 a month. It's really good modem from my research. I want to buy my own modem. I think I need a DOCSIS 3.0. Do you have any suggestions? I have the list of Cox approved modems but there are so many to choose from. What about a router? Should I get modem/router combo? I have apple TV, iPad , iPhone and MacBook Air.

Last edited:
About 3 years ago I lived in Omaha and had Cox,almost every year we had modem issues and the techs would replace it and then a few months later the modem would fail again. Very frustrating,I ended up buying a modem online, a netgear for about $40.00,Now live in Lincoln and use Windstream and have had no issues with Windstream modem or internet. Cox might have improved as that was about 3 years ago.

Arris SB6141 if your internet speed is below 300Mbps. Any 802.11ac router under <$200 should do fine.

The Arris you have uses the Intel Puma 6 chipset which is majorly faulty. Class action suit kind of faulty. All modems with the Intel Puma chipsets have latency and jitter issues, an area not before considered in DOCSIS modems until the Intel Puma issues began to arise. ISPs still trying to figure it out. Intel still releasing half-baked updates and FSBs where they add little piece of shielding to the RF unit inside....

Even modem fires: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitc...ed-down-house-says-ontario-man-1.3133391

Modems to stay away from: https://www.classactionlawyers.com/cablemodems

I have a hypothesis that there are too many radio devices inside of the unit that cause serious noise...literally, people complain about the cable radio tuner making screeching noises when the 2.4/5GHz WiFi radio is operating. Might be related to the modems burning out and causing fires.

We have a CG3 right now. Don't tell my ISP but I opened it up and unplugged all the radio antennas (like 6 of them!) from the board. I'll never use the internal wifi/router it's simply a bridge. I recommend people use bridge mode on their modem with an external router/WiFi.

Check out a modem with a Broadcom chipset instead. Find out if your ISP will support it.

6183 is the way to go with the modem. The 6141 will be end of life'd In the next couple years. Either add and apple AirPort Extreme refurbish if you can find it or whatever WiFi router smallnetbuilder recommends.

Why is it important (or better) to use a separate router?

Originally Posted by Gebo
Why is it important (or better) to use a separate router?
Most of these lower end consumer devices operate on limited hardware. If you ask that hardware to perform multiple functions (modem+router), performance may be negatively affected as it may get bogged down.

In addition, having separate boxes gives you more flexibility. You can typically keep your modem for many years as modem technology doesn't change as often as router technology. This allows you to upgrade the router down the road without having to replace the modem.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-8-cable-modem-shopping-tips/

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
The Arris you have uses the Intel Puma 6 chipset which is majorly faulty. Class action suit kind of faulty. All modems with the Intel Puma chipsets have latency and jitter issues, an area not before considered in DOCSIS modems until the Intel Puma issues began to arise. ISPs still trying to figure it out. Intel still releasing half-baked updates and FSBs where they add little piece of shielding to the RF unit inside....

Comcast sent my parents a replacement Arris gateway because of that, they had a Cisco gateway that used that Intel chipset but I believe the HFC side was still Broadcom. I was happy with the wifi performance of that gateway. That Intel chipset did pair an Atom processor along with the routing/switching/PHYs a router needed.

I just use a Zoom 5341 8x4 DOCSIS 3 modem and a flashed Linksys WRT1200AC router at my apartment. I'll buy a Arris modem to replace it when it's time.

Since you seem to already be an Apple house, I recommend the AirPort Extreme if you can still buy one new. It is hands down the best router I've ever used. Never had to restart it to make something work, and while my house and property is on the smaller side, I get coverage on my entire property and then some. The netgear I had with the 3 antennas could barely deliver 5ghz to my bedroom. Both were placed in the same exact location, dead center of my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back