What oil for '19 Subaru WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to do my first oil change at 1k. Wondering what you guys recommend? Nobody can make up their minds on the Subaru forums.
grin.gif

All I would say that it should meet the dexos1 Gen 2 and/or SN Plus standards and be 5W30 or "heavier".
I guess I have used more M1 5W30 than anything else in my FA20DIT. M1 5W30 ESP was a big favorite on subaruforester.org for a while and I used it for a couple of changes, but now there are two versions of that and I don't know which is which.
If you go on NASIOC, you will surely get a bunch of Rotella 5W40 recommendations...

BTW, I'm assuming this is not an STI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
It will be the same here. use your favorite.

This. Might as well flip a coin if you can't decide. Just as good as asking for opinions. Your car your choice.

If you use a garden variety 5W30, use Pennzoil Platinum. It is an ACEA A5/B5 oil. Very few 5W30's meet that spec and better wear control is one of it's criteria.

I loved PUP but switched to Mobil 1 EP due to availability. Ran EP for a while then made the switch to amsoil, really like amsoil and it's served me well. I recommend using the oil that catches your eye the most

Originally Posted by skyactiv
If you use a garden variety 5W30, use Pennzoil Platinum. It is an ACEA A5/B5 oil. Very few 5W30's meet that spec and better wear control is one of it's criteria.

Edge and M1 also meet it now. It's about time.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by skyactiv

Edge and M1 also meet it now. It's about time.

Good to know!

Recommended oil for your car is a conventional 5W-30. dexos1 or synthetic is not required. 5W-40 is not recommended by Subaru.

I would use a synthetic 5W-30 though, as these days synthetic is very cheap and you get all the extra benefits. Mobil 1 would probably be my first choice but they are all good.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
I loved PUP but switched to Mobil 1 EP due to availability.

PUP, other than a couple days here or there, has been available on Amazon for at least 6-8 months @ 24.97 most of the time.

PP 5W30 would be my choice, with Euro L as a second. $22.68 erry day at WM.

I own and track a 2015 WRX. I use Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 mostly, but have also used Shell Rotella T6 5W40 and Mobil 1 FS 0W40. Direct injection and track use cause the oil to shear down to the higher end of of a 30 weight. It burns no oil and gets 32 mpg at 75 mph.

It is a great car and at 28k miles, has not been back to the dealer once.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

PUP, other than a couple days here or there, has been available on Amazon for at least 6-8 months @ 24.97 most of the time.

This was probably 3-4 years ago, if I ever leave amsoil it will be back to pennzoil

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

I thought new WRX is using DI engine that may not be the best for using PUP. Any good 5w30 with lot of PAO / Ester and less calcium may be the best imo, like PP, M1 AP, Motul X-Clean+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back