Power Stop brakes on 2012 Sienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock Auto has Advics rotors for the front of your Sienna. Advics is the OE supplier for the rotors, and they are US-made, too. Bur tight now, they only have one in stock. However, Advics front and rear rotors are available on eBay right now.

If you don't want to spend the money for Advics rotors, at least get rotors that are coated (the Advics rotors are coated). Wagner's coated rotors are very good, and Centric Premium is also a good choice. Power Stop also offers coated rotors for your car. Non-coated rotors rust overnight.

For the pads, get Akebono, Advics, Wagner OEX, EBC Ultimax, or the Brembo pads Rock Auto has for the Swagger Wagon.

Another good choice would be EBC Ultimax "Blackstuff" pads along with EBC's plain rotors. Autoanything has the best price on EBC parts, and they will even give you a price adjustment if they lower the price after you buy it, even up to a year after
smile.gif

The Power Stop coated rotors and Brembo pads end up being about $200 after shipping and the Rockauto promo code (they always have a 5% off code available). With the Wagner OEX pads, it's about $30 less.

Also, drilled rotors are bad. Especially cheap ones. The only drilled rotors worth buying are some OEM rotors from Porsche and BMW, and the DBA aftermarket rotors. All are really expensive (well over $100 per rotor, sometimes $200+). I know your Sienna is a swagger wagon, but still, don't use drilled rotors! (Rock Auto does have a 4-wheel pad and rotor kit with the Powerstop coated rotors)

Advance Auto rotors and Akebono pads would be another great, and cost effective solution. Usually a 25% discount code floating around.

They're good brakes. I put a set in my cousin's Corolla couple years ago and 15,000 miles later they're holding out. She was on a budget and her husband just passed away. For my wife's car I put Akebono ceramic pads, Stop Tech drilled/slotted rotors in the front and EBC slotted in the rears since she drives stop and go traffic to/from work and it helps with cooling.

Advics are Toyota's OEM supplier as they're part of Aisin and Toyota owns Aisin or a majority stake in Aisin.

What's the year, make and model of the car in question?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by anndel
What's the year, make and model of the car in question?

It is in the TITLE: "2012 Sienna" which I assume it is a Toyota.

There's a Canadian Ebay seller that someone posted that had super cheap prices for good parts. I can't remember their name or the thread, but Americans were buying them and were happy with the prices for the quality. If Americans were buying them from Canada then it must be a good deal! They sold kits and their prices were pretty good from what I remember, maybe someone will be able to chime in and reveal their identity.

I just got on Thanxgiving sale EBC rotors and Green Stuff pads for $167 for front axle. Will install next weak on my 2015 together with ATE TYP200 brake fluid.

I would do a quality rotor but skip the slots.
I have used Centric on our TSX with great results. The better NAPA rotors are probably fine as well.
RockAuto probably has a bazillion selections. I believe they have complete kits as well.
Akebono pads are top notch.

Pump out the brake fluid while you are at it.
Go for it.

I'm running z17 pads on my Caliber. Quiet, stops on a dime, $40 for front and rear, what's not to love? Stops better now than it did with the NAPA pads I pulled off. I'll be switching my 300 over to them as well.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have used Centric on our TSX with great results. The better NAPA rotors are probably fine as well.
RockAuto probably has a bazillion selections. I believe they have complete kits as well.

Go for it.

Slots are waste of money and will create noise unless they are Brembo, and Brembo is not making stuff for Sienna.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Slots are waste of money and will create noise unless they are Brembo, and Brembo is not making stuff for Sienna.

Slots aren't needed unless it's a car with a BBK or big brakes that sees track or cross usage.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
My GFs dad came back from the dealer oil change with a $900 quote for front and rear brake pads and rotors. 3mm back, 5mm front. Rust on rotors. He is on a fixed income and its Christmas time, so he doesn't have the money. I said I'd do it.

I have no experience with Power Stop, wanting to try them. Anyone try this kit?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6317499&cc=1502630&jsn=18

Originally Posted by edyvw
I just got on Thanxgiving sale EBC rotors and Green Stuff pads for $167 for front axle. Will install next weak on my 2015 together with ATE TYP200 brake fluid.

Go for it.[/quote]

The front brakes on the 11-17 Siennas are discussed in a somewhat recent TSB. Pulsation is a real issue on these. Toyota provided instructions to modify the wheel-well cover to increase air flow to the front rotors. The fix also involves a different part number for the pads which contains a revised pad compound to reduce the likelihood of premature pulsation issues (likely from pad deposits). The revised pads are over $100.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10084304-5448.pdf

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

The Akebono's ProACTs are turning out to be really lousy pad compared to the OE options. They are still better than most of the parts store pads though. I am finding that the Akebono pads have leave very heavy pad deposits and cause brake pulsation to appear after a short amount of time (15-30K). In every brake job that I have redone using factory OE pads, the issue has not returned in the same amount of time.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's a Canadian Ebay seller that someone posted that had super cheap prices for good parts. I can't remember their name or the thread, but Americans were buying them and were happy with the prices for the quality. If Americans were buying them from Canada then it must be a good deal! They sold kits and their prices were pretty good from what I remember, maybe someone will be able to chime in and reveal their identity.

Stevie mentioned one company and I mentioned another one, Max Brakes OE which I recently purchased. My biggest complaint about them is they squeak pretty loudly when backing up in the morning. Other than that they're fine and look to be nice quality. Although they're not coated. The pads didn't come with new hardware but they were only $52 shipped for two new rotors and ceramic pads for the front. After I placed the order I saw an option where I could pay about $6 more to get new hardware included which I would have done. Below is a link for the OP for the Max brakes which are $150 for new front and rear rotors with pads.

Max Brakes OE

I think the other company Stevie mentioned was R1 Concepts.

Well in the end I decided to go with the power stop front and rear pad rotor kit . They just got here and at first glance they are beautiful. Arrived in real nice boxes nothing busted up. Real nice anti-rust coating. Will they perform as nice as they look? I guess we'll see.

20190104_161048.jpg

Don't forget to check the lateral runout and make the appropriate vent modifications outlined by the TSB.

I'm familiar with lateral run-out but not the vent procedure or the TSB. I don't have a tool to check run out on this AWD. I do have a hub cleaner tool and a torque wrench LOL.

I had the Powerstop slotted rotors on the front of a 2011 Sienna (purchased from RockAuto on sale). They were noisy, made a grinding sound during braking Wife definitely did not like them. I was also not overly impressed by the Powerstop pads either. They did not seem to have much initial bite and they wore out quickly. However I ran the slotted rotors until they wore down to min thickness. I will say they never warped. I am running I believe Raybestos rotors and pads now and they have been fine. I did have Powerstop rotors and pads on a Subaru outback at one time and they were fine on that car.

-wb
2011 Toyota Sienna
2008 Subaru Outback

I'm familiar with lateral run-out but not the vent procedure or the TSB. I don't have a tool to check run out on this AWD. I do have a hub cleaner tool and a torque wrench LOL.

Here you go:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10084304-5448.pdf

Also is that rotor bolt hole 8 mm, 8 x 1.25? In case the rotors are stuck

I believe that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back