BMW LL01FE Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine recently purchased a used N55-equipped BMW which specs BMW LL01FE.

The car is under warranty and will be for quite some time so I would prefer to stay with a LL01FE approved oil. Other than paying $9/qt for the BMW version, are there any other options?

Buy a BMWCCA membership and get a 10-15% discount on that $9/qt.

OR he can just jump to LL01 and buy whatever is cheapest.

Last edited:
List for the LL01FE oil (83 21 2 365 950) is $10.50/qt. My wholesale supplier charges me $8.50. Unless something changed very recently, my local BMW dealer charges well over list on most parts and applies the discount to that price.

The economics of the membership may not make sense in this case, but I'll pass along the idea.

Originally Posted by The Critic
A buddy of mine recently purchased a used N55-equipped BMW which specs BMW LL01FE.

The car is under warranty and will be for quite some time so I would prefer to stay with a LL01FE approved oil. Other than paying $9/qt for the BMW version, are there any other options?

Switch to LL01. N55 engine was always LL01 until BMW needed to comply with CAFE. I would not use LL01FE in N55 even if someone gave me for free that oil.

You could run an LL01 with no trouble. I doubt you'd even see a change in fuel economy.

You could also run an A5/B5. If you wanted to. I suppose.

In either case, there will be no warranty denial.

Like others have said, go to whatever oil youd like thats approved. If you go to 2015, it uses the same N55B30A and specs a wide range of flavors, 0/30, 0/40 5/40 etc are all approved.

List for the LL01FE oil (83 21 2 365 950) is $10.50/qt. My wholesale supplier charges me $8.50. Unless something changed very recently, my local BMW dealer charges well over list on most parts and applies the discount to that price.

The economics of the membership may not make sense in this case, but I'll pass along the idea.

Ya,

The N55 has always been compatible with LL01, LL01FE, and LL04.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

You could run an LL01 with no trouble.

In either case, there will be no warranty denial.

This sounds like the best plan.

Folks, I recognize that earlier versions of the N55 spec'ed a different oil. But that is beside the point; this is an in-warranty vehicle and using the specified oil is important. At least to me it is.

Again, are there any other approved options for a LL01-FE product?

I saw one just a day or two ago I'll be darned if I can remember what it was, if it comes to me I'll post it.

One of my cars specs 0w20 in the US and 5w30 for rest of the world. It supposed allows up to 10w50 in Australia. I called the dealer to ask whether 5w30 would void my warranty and they said no.

I suspect BMW would tell you the same: that using LL01 would not affect your warranty. It could open up a good deal more choices, and hopefully a dealer's confirmation that is ok to use would help you feel more comfortable using it.

Folks, I recognize that earlier versions of the N55 spec'ed a different oil. But that is beside the point; this is an in-warranty vehicle and using the specified oil is important. At least to me it is.

There is no earlier version of N55. If there is any other version BMW would designate it with "TU." So, your buddies BMW would be something like N55TU.
His N55 is same one that is in BMW's since 2010.
So, no it is not only specified for LL-01FE, but LL01 too.

Originally Posted by edyvw

There is no earlier version of N55. If there is any other version BMW would designate it with "TU." So, your buddies BMW would be something like N55TU.
His N55 is same one that is in BMW's since 2010.
So, no it is not only specified for LL-01FE, but LL01 too.

I should have said earlier model years.

His vehicle has a sticker under the hood which states 0W-30. The manual also confirms LL01FE 0W-30 to be the correct oil.

His vehicle has a sticker under the hood which states 0W-30. The manual also confirms LL01FE 0W-30 to be the correct oil.

Doesn't the owner's manual say all three listed below are acceptable? What's under the hood on a sticker is not the definitive answer, it might also have a sticker saying Castrol oil is also recommended.

From a 135i manual:
BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30
BMW Longlife-01
BMW Longlife-01 FE

BMWNA moved to LL01FE about two years ago. Previously in the US the N55 was always spec'd for LL01. My 2015 N55 is the same as your buddy's and it was spec'd for LL01.

LL01FE is essentially impossible to find because it's not really used in Western Europe (LL04, and LL12/14FE).

I suspect blenders are waiting for BMW to make a firm commitment to a FE spec and are just waiting it out. Technically blenders could drop LL01 and move to LL01FE but that might cost a lot if there aren't and other OE's with a similar spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Doesn't the owner's manual say all three listed below are acceptable? What's under the hood on a sticker is not the definitive answer, it might also have a sticker saying Castrol oil is also recommended.

From a 135i manual:
BMW Longlife-01
BMW Longlife-01 FE

I think the recommendations have changed. Take a look at this bulletin from 2017 for the entire BMW line-up. LL01FE is the recommended oil now, and even for applications which previously called for LL01.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=601090&d=1497746352

To set the record straight genuine BMW oil sold at the dealer is in liter bottles not quarts, so you are getting 5.7% more oil per bottle.

Are you positive the owners manual specs ONLY LL-01FE? Every manual I've seen specs either LL-01 or the FE variant.

There are no aftermarket oils with LL-01FE approval because there is no market for them (LL-01 has always been spec'd as an approved alternative to LL-01FE).

There will be no warranty issues using LL-01.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

From a 135i manual:
BMW Longlife-01
BMW Longlife-01 FE

I think the recommendations have changed. Take a look at this bulletin from 2017 for the entire BMW line-up. LL01FE is the recommended oil now, and even for applications which previously called for LL01.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=601090&d=1497746352

Ya. doesn't matter. This was a CAFE* move by BMWNA. LL01FE spec has been in existence for over 15 years just not in the US.

* HTHS is still 3.0 so it's not super thin (A5/B5).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back