OEM Brand Coolant by Rocochem

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Green, Blue, Pink, Red and Orange share the same SDS, they just change the color - see the attached SDS. Gold has some silicate in it, so it's not on the attached MSDS.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 108
  • 0 bytes · Views: 94
I have the dex concentrate in my car right now, it was $17 for a gallon on sale at Canadian Tire. A bottle of Prestone concentrate is like $25 at Walmart. I also used their DOT4 for euro cars, even though I knew it was just generic DOT4 and not super.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
The brand "OEM" is really misleading...
It's true, but they are the cheapest fluids you can get here, so there is no mistaking that they are just a generic value brand. I like them because they clearly list what applications the fluid is for on the front of the bottle, they are pretty transparent about that. I'd rather someone throw in some cheap semi-universal fluid than the straight up wrong fluid because they are confused.

The OEM Brand Asian P-HOAT AFs, Red, Pink, Green and Blue used to be sold by Pepboys and nice thing is they all came/come as a concentrate. It seems they have been closing them out as they've become less and less available. All the same except for tint to match the oem AF tint. And all the newer longer service interval PHOAT AFs.

While I didn't download the pdfs, the Orange is the DexCool (OAT) OEM equivalent and thus would contain 2eha not found in the others. And there would be no phosphate in it, found in the other four. SDS isn't always authoritative for all ingredients. Also note the Orange says not to mix with phosphate AF which the other four contain.

http://www.oemantifreeze.com/oem-orange/

I e-mailed OEM brand Coolant recently and asked them who made their antifreeze. They responded that it is proprietary information a few days later. Lol.

Their red coolant does leave a dried residue, so small leaks like cold leaks are easier to spot. Only thing about it is I can't smell it coming out from under the hood if there is a slow leak.

Good info, O'reilly has a similar chart. I just use Peak long life in all 3 vehicles and it works fine .Peak is easy to find around here, but Zerox global or Napa Global or O'Reillys would work just as well.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
The brand "OEM" is really misleading...

It sort of is, but it's reasonably available even up here. I would assume most wouldn't think OEM really means that's it's the same as what's in one's Chev or Nissan or Ford (though it might be one of them), but it is an alternative to someone who wants to "get it right" versus using either a universal fluid or pay dealer costs or for places where a dealer might not be available.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
The OEM Brand Asian P-HOAT AFs, Red, Pink, Green and Blue used to be sold by Pepboys and nice thing is they all came/come as a concentrate. It seems they have been closing them out as they've become less and less available. All the same except for tint to match the oem AF tint. And all the newer longer service interval PHOAT AFs.

While I didn't download the pdfs, the Orange is the DexCool (OAT) OEM equivalent and thus would contain 2eha not found in the others. And there would be no phosphate in it, found in the other four. SDS isn't always authoritative for all ingredients. Also note the Orange says not to mix with phosphate AF which the other four contain.

http://www.oemantifreeze.com/oem-orange/

I agree but I think that their RED is different than the Pink, Blue and Green. It is listed as an OAT, not a PHOAT, and there is no mention of Phosphate. Do you think it is different than the PINK for the newer model Toyotas?

http://www.recochem.com/us/products.../oem_extended_life_red_antifreezecoolant

... Do you think it is different than the PINK for the newer model Toyotas?......
It's possible I suppose. However, unlike Toyota Red LL the OEM Red is designed to replace, OEM brand Red has a 5 year/150k mile service interval same as other tints. Toyota Red LL concentrate is recommended 2 year/~30k mile interval. And Toyota has said, Pink SLL premix is backward compatible with Red LL AF. So, in the OEM brand either the Red or Pink carry same interval, I'd likely choose the pink. One thing I'm more certain of, the OEM Red OAT or Phoat doesn't use 2eha, which would be my main concern.

All that said, as compared to WM Valvoline/Zerex Asian and ZAF premix, OEM Brand Concentrate AF at PB in any tint is becoming more difficult to find.

Too bad Pep Boys seems to be phasing out the Recochem OEM
mad.gif

It was by far the best deal at $20 for the concentrate! They replaced it with Peak OET which is $20 for 50/50

I was skeptical about this - unless someone does an analysis to see if the Red/Pink/Blue/Green OEM coolants from Recochem are really pxATs, we might never know what's in it.

I'm satisfied that at least for the pink and blue tint, OEM Brand Asian AFs are Asian PHOATs as provided by their description... "OEM PINK provides superior performance for these newer model (2004-present) automotive or light duty vehicles requiring a phosphate based OAT engine coolant." Same description for the blue. I'd use either with confidence for the applications listed in the their descriptions. The OEM Red and Green AFs intended for older Asian vehicle AF specs, perhaps open to a different interpretation. For those applications though, the vehicle manufactures like Toyota, Nissan and Suby have said newer pink and blue backward compatible with older AFs.

Same standard applied would say all aftermarket Asian AFs would require the same amount of testing to know exactly what's in them. I suppose Recochem could be lying about the pink and blue intended similar applications, though I doubt it . As noted however, topic almost a moot point now as OEM Brand Asian AF concentrate is becoming scarce at PB.

http://www.recochem.com/us/media/uploads/downloads/Product_Information_Sheet_OEM_Pink_1216_w.pdf

http://www.recochem.com/us/media/uploads/downloads/Product_Information_Sheet_OEM_Blue_1216_w.pdf

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I'm satisfied that at least for the pink and blue tint, OEM Brand Asian AFs are Asian PHOATs as provided by their description... "OEM PINK provides superior performance for these newer model (2004-present) automotive or light duty vehicles requiring a phosphate based OAT engine coolant." Same description for the blue. I'd use either with confidence for the applications listed in the their descriptions. The OEM Red and Green AFs intended for older Asian vehicle AF specs, perhaps open to a different interpretation. For those applications though, the vehicle manufactures like Toyota, Nissan and Suby have said newer pink and blue backward compatible with older AFs.

Same standard applied would say all aftermarket Asian AFs would require the same amount of testing to know exactly what's in them. I suppose Recochem could be lying about the pink and blue intended similar applications, though I doubt it . As noted however, topic almost a moot point now as OEM Brand Asian AF concentrate is becoming scarce at PB.

http://www.recochem.com/us/media/uploads/downloads/Product_Information_Sheet_OEM_Pink_1216_w.pdf

http://www.recochem.com/us/media/uploads/downloads/Product_Information_Sheet_OEM_Blue_1216_w.pdf

Hi Sayjac:
How do you think the Pentosin A2 green P-HOAT concentrate compares with OEM blue? Pentosin seems to imply that the 50/50 premix A3 and A4 are 'Super Long Life' while the A1 and A2 concentrates are just 'Long Life'....this has prompted some to think that the A2 is a '1st generation' P-HOAT.
I picked up a few gallons of the A2 at the AZ 'Clearance' last year and when I called Pentosin...the tech said "It can be used for as long as the car manufacturer recommends".....Your knowledgeable thoughts are welcome?

Originally Posted by pbm
...How do you think the Pentosin A2 green P-HOAT concentrate compares with OEM blue? Pentosin seems to imply that the 50/50 premix A3 and A4 are 'Super Long Life' while the A1 and A2 concentrates are just 'Long Life'....this has prompted some to think that the A2 is a '1st generation' P-HOAT....
It 'seems' that way. The earlier Asian AFs like Toyota Red and Nissan green did have the shorter recommended service intervals and both came as concentrated AFs. Best information I've seen said they were/are P-HOATS as noted. Unlike OEM brand, Pentofrost makes no service interval recommendation for A1 red and A2 green in the description. I think one has to use their own judgement as to whether they are the same as the vehicle recommended longer service interval A3 blue and A4 pink premixes. I'm inclined to think A1&A2 concentrate are designed and manufactured as direct replacements for older Red and Green AF, which would imply the shorter service intervals too. Others may reach a different conclusion.

Wish I could give a more definitive answer, however with the information available that's the best one I have. I'd still use Pentofrost A1/2, just with a shorter than the A3/4 premix vehicle recommended service interval in mind.

Thanks Sayjac….You're probably right.....I don't know enough about the chemistry of these Pentosin coolants (or chemistry in general) to understand how an earlier version of P-HOAT could be less stout than a later one. I'm contemplating running the A2 in my 2014 Focus when I change it out later this year (the Duratec is a Mazda design so I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem and I like the P-HOAT better than the OE 'Dexcool')....OTOH, I may stick with Dexcool depending on how it looks after a few flushes (if I still see traces of pink...I'll go with Dexcool)….Thanks again...

PS: I'm at only 42K on my Focus which I bought new in Oct. 2014....mainly because I have 3 vehicles and 2 drivers and also because I retired and no longer commute to NYC. I'm thinking that A2 should work well for 3 or 4 years and the 30 to 50K that I should accumulate in that time....

I was reading about the OEM, and Toyota's Pink and Red LL. The difference it seems is that Toyota Pink is not safe for the earlier lead soldered cooling system (radiator?) and would corrode and leak over time. However Pink has an additives that will help enhance water pump bearing life over Toyota Red.

OEM on the other hand seems to be a generic OAT formula (not the same anti corrosion additives) and likely no water pump bearing additives. It is just died the right color to avoid dealer complains, and used car buyers' bargaining power. You are likely better off buying Walmart long life concentrate.

Toyota usually spec Pink for 10 years for the initial factory fill and 5 years for drain and refill thereafter. Aftermarket usually only spec 5 years regardless.

Last edited:
Well first off, the coolant does not lubricate the water pump bearing. In fact there is a mechanical seal to prevent coolant from contacting the bearing and if this seal degrades and the coolant reaches the bearing, it will fail in very short order.

I have used Toyota red coolant for over 400,000 miles in my Sienna and 280,000 in my ECHO. I just replaced the water pump in the ECHO because it had not been changed since new, and the old pump showed no sign of leakage through the seal. The interior of engine that I could see was spotless and had no visible deposits.

I would say that the Toyota red does a good job of keeping things clean and in good working order, at least as far as it is responsible for doing so. Would an aftermarket coolant done just as well? I have no idea since I've never used one in any of my vehicles.

Originally Posted by Tengkusyahputra
hi guys what do you think about honda long life coolant any one
2F4gN08

It has worked well in my old Honda for a couple hundred thousand miles and many years. Much like the Toyota OEM coolant, the inside of the radiator and the engine is pristine.

Again, would another coolant done just as well? Maybe, but I haven't used one so I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back