Basic to Android cell phone advice

I am helping someone with an LG 329G SafeLink phone as they transition to an Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro Tracfone. The primary use is for safety. To call and receive calls. There is no use for email, though it looks like I will need to set up a Gmail account. He did mention playing games. So the only reason a Gmail account would be helpful is to install apps from the Play Store. I have know this person 20 years and have never seen him play a game, so that may not be needed. He would like to look up movies online and play trailers. He has Wi-Fi at home.

1. Do I really need to set up a Gmail account to use this phone?

I read the entire Galaxy J3 manual and would like to keep the phone as simple as possible. The person using it has a limited understanding of how cell phones work and will need support to maintain or troubleshoot problems. He is very motivated to learn and looking forward to his new phone that arrives Friday. Thanks in advance!

Yes, you need a Gmail account.

If there is motivation, he can learn to use it. Don't link an active credit card. Tons of free games to try out.

The biggest hurdle overcome is fear. Fear of breaking it, fear of costing money. People scared to learn often think others learn the phone in 5 minutes when it takes a lot longer and they think they're slow at learning when that isn't the case. My wife was the same way. She was very hesitant to go from a flip-phone to an I-phone. She's not a pro with it after 5 years but she gets by and is looking to buy a new one.

Last edited:
Not linking a credit card is easy. He does not have one. It took a year to get the basics of his simple phone. He just watched YouTube videos for 20 minutes on unlocking a phone after Safelink said T-Mobile needs to unlock his. He is very motivated to learn.

Get him a phone from T-Mobile that has the newly released extended range LTE 600 MHz and 700MHz bands.
There are some inexpensive to high dollar phones that receive the new frequencies and tons of phones that don't at every price point.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-phones-700

[Linked Image]

You don't need a Gmail account to use the phone, but if you want to download any apps you do. You can create a throwaway account and not link a credit card to it if you're only going to download free apps.

The phone is purchased. I helped him purchase Tracfone since I was told it will work with his Safelink account. I was told they are the same company. Here in St Louis we have pretty good coverage. Compared to what he had it is a big upgrade. I will keep the extended range info for his next phone.

So will make a throwaway Google account. My concern with apps is some can be malware. How do you know which ones are safe?

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
The phone is purchased. I helped him purchase Tracfone since I was told it will work with his Safelink account. I was told they are the same company. Here in St Louis we have pretty good coverage. Compared to what he had it is a big upgrade. I will keep the extended range info for his next phone.

So will make a throwaway Google account. My concern with apps is some can be malware. How do you know which ones are safe?

If you've heard of it, it's safe. It if promises free TV, movies, or music, stay away! Google has really cleaned up the Play Store lately so I wouldn't worry. It's no longer the wild west...

I don't download apps. I don't play games. So will need to ask other's what is appropriate. Most people I know have Android phones. Thanks again!

I wrote up an article about getting a new smartphone for R&R club members: Getting a New Phone

One thing I find super helpful with smartphones is their built-in GPS navigation capability with the Google Maps app. Google Maps allows you to download offline maps to your phone so don't have to use any cellular data, which your phone will regularly update. Besides being able to access the Google Play Store, having a Google account allows you to manage your contacts (used for GPS navigation locations) and create saved places for your favorite navigation destinations. If you have an Android phone, you can even use the Android Auto app even if your car isn't doesn't have this feature.
See Navigation.

enjoying older posts like this because i too am a phone dummy!! may have bought a phone that will not work after 3G shutdown, it says LTE aka 4G but after reading more it seems that VoLTE is necessary + even thou most newer phones have it my new in box sony xperia xz first out in 2016 may NOT be compatible, but time will tell! i only talk a little but looking to be able to send the great pics it takes to a person or e-mail as well as a forum to sell leftover stuff as some forums require a pic to post for sale. a bit frustrating BUT interesting as its a new learning experience for an old school simple is better old guy!

enjoying older posts like this because i too am a phone dummy!! may have bought a phone that will not work after 3G shutdown, it says LTE aka 4G but after reading more it seems that VoLTE is necessary + even thou most newer phones have it my new in box sony xperia xz first out in 2016 may NOT be compatible, but time will tell! i only talk a little but looking to be able to send the great pics it takes to a person or e-mail as well as a forum to sell leftover stuff as some forums require a pic to post for sale. a bit frustrating BUT interesting as its a new learning experience for an old school simple is better old guy!
It’s pretty easy to check if you’re curious. According to Sony, Android 8 is the latest software available for that phone, and they give a guide on how to enable VoLTE if available.

Back