POE oil (R-410a)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the newer A/C or refrigeration systems use a synthetic POE oil ( R-410a ) . My understanding is the refrigerant dissolves better in the POE oil ?

Anyone know of other reasons ?

PAG oil is used in R-134a systems . For the same reasons . Anyone able to further enlighten me ?

Can POE oil be used in a system which originally came with PAG oil ?

Thanks , :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be an excellent question for Tom NJ
smile.gif

POE can be used in a PAG system, but all of the old oil has to be flushed out. Both PAG & POE synthetic refrigeration oil are designed to be used with HFC refrigerants, although the new oils will also work with HCFC & CFC refrigerants too. Mineral oil was originally used with CFC refrigerants (R-12, etc.), but could be used with some HCFC ones too (R-22, R-502, etc.). The new HFC refrigerants are not very soluble with mineral oil, so the oil needs to be at least 95% POE or PAG for the system to work properly.

The rationale for the automakers using PAG oil from what I've read is that it doesn't degrade like an POE does upon contact with water or moisture into acids. Funny enough, POE oil is being used in hybrids and BEV vehicles - POE oil has better dielectric qualities than PAG.

Bullwinkle summed it up nicely. Miscibility with HFCs was the driving factor for the switch to POEs and PAGs after the Montreal Protocol in 1987, which called for the phasing out of ozone layer destroying CFCs . The new HFC refrigerants such as R134a were not miscible with mineral oils so new lubricants were needed in addition to the new refrigerants. Automotive air conditioners started with PAGs so they continue to dominate that application. POEs are used in the majority of industrial applications.

Originally Posted by nthach
The rationale for the automakers using PAG oil from what I've read is that it doesn't degrade like an POE does upon contact with water or moisture into acids. Funny enough, POE oil is being used in hybrids and BEV vehicles - POE oil has better dielectric qualities than PAG.

PAGs made the first inroads into automotive air conditioning units and the systems were designed around that chemistry. When POEs later became the chemistry of choice for HFC refrigeration systems it was deemed too expensive to re-engineer the automotive AC systems, and the PAGs were working fine, so they stayed with PAGs for new builds. For existing cars and trucks with mineral oil in the AC systems, PAGs were considered not suitable for fluid changes and top-offs due to their incompatibility with the mineral oils left in the system unless the entire system was drained and purged. POEs, however, are compatible with both PAGs and mineral oils and therefore became the dominant chemistry in changeovers and top-off kits for all cars since they are friendly with all residual oil chemistries. There were a few automakers that did switch to POE systems but I don't know the current status.

In the early days of the refrigerant and lubricant changes, some problems occurred with clogged capillary tubes in some refrigeration systems. The deposits were found to be metal carboxylates and were assumed to come from hydrolysis of POEs. This led to the development of hydrolytically stable POEs, but it was later found that the deposits actually came from residual metal metalworking fluids and not the POEs. While the hydrolytically stable POEs are still used by some compressor builders, the majority of POE refrigeration oils today are not of that chemical structure and work fine. The POEs are dried to a very low moisture content of < 50 ppm and hydrolysis is not an issue in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back