3.3 V-6 in 2017-18 Santa Fe engine concerns?

Originally Posted by Brigadier

I have read on the Hyundai forums that the 3.3L Lambda II doesn't have many GDI intake valve issues as Hyundai uses a two stage injection sequence, and one of those is a small squirt of fuel on the intake valves when they are still open.

I actually enjoy my commute to and from work with the SF. Looking to try the AWD system this winter. We will see if Seattle gets any snow or not this year.

I have read about these new 2 stage injectors some manufacturers were using to combat the carbon buildup, did not know the Lambda II had them?

No need for AWD around here, for the 2-3 days of snow every decade around here, we just stay home.

My plan was 87 octane with an injector cleaner every oil change.
Oil change would be every 5000 miles with a synthetic SN (Dexos approved) or SN Plus 5w-20 or 5w-30. I have a ton of that in my stash.
For the filter, not sure what I will run. Probably a Fram TG (no Ultra made for this engine).

Originally Posted by blupupher

I have read on the Hyundai forums that the 3.3L Lambda II doesn't have many GDI intake valve issues as Hyundai uses a two stage injection sequence, and one of those is a small squirt of fuel on the intake valves when they are still open.

I actually enjoy my commute to and from work with the SF. Looking to try the AWD system this winter. We will see if Seattle gets any snow or not this year.

I have read about these new 2 stage injectors some manufacturers were using to combat the carbon buildup, did not know the Lambda II had them?

No need for AWD around here, for the 2-3 days of snow every decade around here, we just stay home.

My plan was 87 octane with an injector cleaner every oil change.
Oil change would be every 5000 miles with a synthetic SN (Dexos approved) or SN Plus 5w-20 or 5w-30. I have a ton of that in my stash.
For the filter, not sure what I will run. Probably a Fram TG (no Ultra made for this engine).

If you watch the video I posted, you will see the two stage injection sequence. It is NOT a separate injector upstream like some have.

I run OEM filters. A 5 pack off Amazon is cheap.

5W-20 is not recommended in the owner's manual. 5W30, 5W40, 10W30 are.

If you watch the video I posted, you will see the two stage injection sequence. It is NOT a separate injector upstream like some have.

Yeah, I saw that. It gives a little squirt on the backside of the valve during the intake sequence, then a "full" injection once the valve closes.

Did not know about xw-20, not a problem though, I have several gallons of 5w-30, 10w-30 and 5w-40 synthetic oils in the stash (although the 5w-40 is Rotella T6, it is SN, but not Dexos or SN+).
And as I said, not positive on what will be used for the filter, but e-bay/Amazon for OEM packs is an option.

Still waiting to hear back from the one dealer that has the one we really want. It is the newest, lowest mileage, most features, and highest priced, with no discount off KBB/Edmunds price. All the other dealers have given me offers of 8-13% off the KBB value, so hoping I get a similar offer from them. If I don't hear back from them soon, I will call them this afternoon and see what the deal is.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Yeah, I saw that. It gives a little squirt on the backside of the valve during the intake sequence, then a "full" injection once the valve closes.

Did not know about xw-20, not a problem though, I have several gallons of 5w-30, 10w-30 and 5w-40 synthetic oils in the stash (although the 5w-40 is Rotella T6, it is SN, but not Dexos or SN+).
And as I said, not positive on what will be used for the filter, but e-bay/Amazon for OEM packs is an option.

Still waiting to hear back from the one dealer that has the one we really want. It is the newest, lowest mileage, most features, and highest priced, with no discount off KBB/Edmunds price. All the other dealers have given me offers of 8-13% off the KBB value, so hoping I get a similar offer from them. If I don't hear back from them soon, I will call them this afternoon and see what the deal is.

Does the 2018 have a start stop system? My 2017 does not. But I think they bundle it with the smart cruise control feature of the Limited/Ultimate trim levels. Mine is the lowly SE trim level, which still has everything I need and nothing too crazy as far as bells and whistles.

Not sure if it has start/stop, I have not read that it does.

I just bought it about an hour ago, they are currently servicing and detailing it.

It is a 2018 Limited Ultimate with 10,300 miles. Every option available it has as far as I can tell.

Here is a pic at the dealer:
[Linked Image]

Totally surprised my wife. We had done a test drive Monday on it and several others, and she liked this one the best.
I had a meeting at work this afternoon, and after I went to make a deal on it without telling her.
I got home and she was sitting in her chair dressed like she was ready to go somewhere, I asked what was up, and she said she wanted to go look at that SUV again. I smiled and said no, it had been sold, it is not listed on the website any more. She had a sad little look on her face. About 10 minutes later she came and said she wants to go on Friday to look at some more, and I said we will see.
I then went and grabbed the key (they gave me one and kept the other while detailing it) and tossed it at her. The look was priceless. Made my day.

Did not get as good a deal as I wanted, but still a good deal I think. They were asking 32,500, plus some $1,700 dealer package that included a tracking/wireless info system (Kahu I believe, but Hyundai includes 3 years of their Bluelink system that does the same thing), Free tire repair for 2 years, roadside assistance (I have 4 years left with Hyundai), $500 deductible payment for accidents (have discount program from work that gives me the same thing), and window tint. As soon as he set it down I said I am not paying for that and do not want it.
So the only thing I wanted was window tint, but the ironic thing is, it had window tint from the previous owners.

First price they came back with out the door was $37,174, I told him that was way too high. I said I need $32,500 out the door for my price. After 3 visits to the manager, manager comes over and say he is trying to get me a deal, and what is my bottom number, I relent on $34,000 even and I will buy it now. Goes to his office for 2 minutes and comes back and says he can do $34,000, but I will not get the dealer package, and I looked at the sales guy and then back at the manager and said I did not want it to start off with.

I had a 2.7liter V-6 (same as in the older base Santa Fe) in my Kia Rondo. I put 175k miles on that engine with 10k oil changes with Mobil One and PP and it was as clean as a whistle and didn't burn a drop of oil when I sold it.. GREAT motor.

Last edited:
So after my disappointment of not getting the Paciica, we have decided on a used Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate Limited.
We have it narrowed down to three 2017 and one 2018, all with the 3.3 V6 Lambda II GDi (G6DH) engine, with between 12,000 and 24,000 miles.
Have there been any issues with this particular engine?
I know as a GDi there can be a problem with fuel dilution and possible issues with the valves getting carbon buildup, but anything in particular that I need to know about?
I have really read nothing but good with these engines (and vehicles as a whole) but just want to make sure I am not overlooking something.

Anything else to look out for on the Santa Fe? I have had good luck with Hyundai, as well as several family members.

If you ever get a rattle at startup that sounds like pulling a chain over a pipe really fast, well, don't worry, it's not your timing chain tensioners or anything else timing chain related. It's time for a battery replacement. These Santa Fe models have a battery that's too small because there is only so much room in the compartment. The noise is from the CVVT actuators that don't have enough voltage to lock up when you turn on the engine. I solved this by installing a AGM battery in my wife's and my mom's Santa Fes. They each have a 2017 with the 3.3L motor. Otherwise, it's a great vehicle with plenty of power. Enjoy it!!!

Why is everyone running higher octane in a engine that doesn't need it though? Doesn't seem smart just counterproductive. If it calls for 87, then that is what it gets.

I almost bought a Hyundai Elantra Sport. I learned in my research Hyundai and probably Kia, too, will try to avoid doing warranty work on an engine or transmission if you fail to show proof of maintaining the vehicle.
More so than other auto makers. Doesn't the powertrain warranty on used Hyundai's get reduced to 5/60K?
You research is somewhat flawed. I have owned Hyundai's Exclusively since 2002. Both my Daughters drive them, as well. One had her engine replaced over consumption issues about 2 months ago. No questions about prior maintenance were even asked. All that was done first was a consumption test, which was expected, and viola, new motor. I have never had any issues under warranty work with them at any time. Seems to me the dealers give more crap to customers than the Company, as they get paid less for warranty work than normal maintenance. That may be where most of the issues have arisen. Not to say, like every manufacturer, that there are exceptions to certain people, but seems its a rap given that is undeserved.

I almost bought a Hyundai Elantra Sport. I learned in my research Hyundai and probably Kia, too, will try to avoid doing warranty work on an engine or transmission if you fail to show proof of maintaining the vehicle.
More so than other auto makers. Doesn't the powertrain warranty on used Hyundai's get reduced to 5/60K?

Your signature shows that you own one? What's the deal? And yes-and the second and subsequent owners the powertrain goes out to 50,000 miles or 5 years. You are aware that on most brands many only go out to 36,000 miles to the subsequent owners? BTW-they replaced my Son's Sonata motor with no questions asked about maintenance history. It had over 100,000 miles on it.

Your signature shows that you own one? What's the deal? And yes-and the second and subsequent owners the powertrain goes out to 50,000 miles or 5 years. You are aware that on most brands many only go out to 36,000 miles to the subsequent owners? BTW-they replaced my Son's Sonata motor with no questions asked about maintenance history. It had over 100,000 miles on it.

Bought one used with body issues. The dealer basically sold it to me at auction price. It's been 100% reliable so far.
Old thread about it.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bought-a-used-2018-elantra-sport.313094/

It is actually 60,000 miles to the second owner.

You should read my thread about the Hyundai 3.3 V6 engine in our 2013 Santa Fe and it’s durability, or lack thereof.
Good read. Oil pump failure @ 109k.

You should read my thread about the Hyundai 3.3 V6 engine in our 2013 Santa Fe and it’s durability, or lack thereof.
Good read. Oil pump failure @ 109k.

Yes, I read that, but it seems to be an outlier. I have not heard of any others on the several Hyundai/Kia forums I am on.

Back