Budget smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Originally Posted by CT8
I am amazed that people can't quite get the grasp that there isn't privacy on any form of communication. This stuff isn't new.

The issue with Huawei is that Gov't agencies and law enforcement used their networking and routing device's and that's where Huawei went rogue.

Not sure where you got your info, but US Defense, Intelligence and Govt agencies that are highly concerned about security avoid Huawei products. You might find low-end Huawei products on the fringes in agencies that are more citizen or consumer oriented, and even then not so much.

Regarding the question "cheap smart phone to just use the camera". I would suggest you get a camera, like a Canon Rebel T2 or T3. They can be had for $200 or less used, and the lenses are far superior to cell phones.
If you really want a smart phone, then I would suggest an iPhone or Samsung. Source- did Telecom R&D, cell phone software development.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Originally Posted by CT8
I am amazed that people can't quite get the grasp that there isn't privacy on any form of communication. This stuff isn't new.

The issue with Huawei is that Gov't agencies and law enforcement used their networking and routing device's and that's where Huawei went rogue.

Not sure where you got your info, but US Defense, Intelligence and Govt agencies that are highly concerned about security avoid Huawei products. You might find low-end Huawei products on the fringes in agencies that are more citizen or consumer oriented, and even then not so much.

Regarding the question "cheap smart phone to just use the camera". I would suggest you get a camera, like a Canon Rebel T2 or T3. They can be had for $200 or less used, and the lenses are far superior to cell phones.
If you really want a smart phone, then I would suggest an iPhone or Samsung. Source- did Telecom R&D, cell phone software development.

Our country killed Kennedy you think they care who makes the network infrastructure they use. This country loves war it makes big money for those that are in the loop.

CostCo over Black Friday had unlocked Moto G6 phones for $180.00. Don't know if they are still available for that price or not.

Originally Posted by CKN
CostCo over Black Friday had unlocked Moto G6 phones for $180.00. Don't know if they are still available for that price or not.

That's a good price. Online it's still $230. That may be my next phone. It's one of my top choices. I currently have a Moto G4 Play that seems somewhat laggy with certain apps.

Edit: It's down to $200 on the Motorola web site.

Last edited:
If you're an Amazon Prime customer you can pick up the LG Stylo 4 for $179.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Not to hijack this thread, but;

If I wanted to get a Smart Phone just to use as a Camera, what are good options ?

I assume the (inexpensive) pre-paid phones require a Monthly internet fee ?

Thanks for any comments.

Then just buy a digital point and shoot camera. You'll have some manual zoom capabilities whereas the phone uses all digital interpolation for zoom

You might want to purchase asap as tariffs are about to be slapped on electronics items manufactured in China. Could be 10%, could be 25%.

I just bought a total wireless Moto G6 for $179 at Walmart. I believe the unlocked version is only $199. Its a very good phone for the money. Some review sites have it listed at one of the best phones you can get under $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back