7.3 powerstroke water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be changing the water pump on my F250 in sig this weekend, along with new coolant, thermostat, thermostat housing and hoses. I work at Napa so I am able to use PartsPro along with a Mitchell catalog to look up torque specs. It says the specs for the water pump and waterpump outlet are 15 ft lbs, also the thermostat housing is 15 ft lbs. Most of the Powerstroke forums say 18 ft lbs for the waterpump and outlet. I'd like to know the proper specs.

Also, I'm considering buying a Dieselsite thermostat housing as pictured below, as you can see in the pic, the max torque recommended is 100 inch pounds. If I go with a factory stamped steel housing, should I torque it to 100 inch pounds or 15 ft lbs?

https://www.dieselsite.com/blackbilletaluminumthermostathousing.aspx

My Milwaukee M18 cordless vac gets used the most. But only worth considering if you are already into Milwaukee M18 tools.

I have a Craftsman for cleaning messes on the floor like saw dust from table saw.

I had a Shop-Vac brand for awhile and prefer my Craftsman over it. But it could have been a specific model of Shop-Vac that was the issue for me not the brand.

If you use one for water you will need to let the whole thing dry out disassembled, not just pour out the water.

I wouldn't be concerned whether it's 15 or 18 ft lbs. Torques are normally ranges, not exact set numbers. Also, are you planning on using an anti seize product? If so, which one? If I was using anti-seize, I would use the lower of the two suggested torques and call it a day. If no anti seize, I would pick a number near the middle of the two, say 16 or 17.

For the actual thermostat housing I would use the seller's recommendation. Can't really defend any of this, but it's what I would do if you're looking for an opinion.
smile.gif

On the housing, by all means, don't go over 135 in pounds. Are you getting the Dieselsite thermostat housing ring? I would highly recommend it. It'll have the proper torque procedure with it as well. It's 35 in, 70 in, and then 135 in for the final torque. Those bolts are pretty weak to begin with, and going into aluminum does not help.

I'm not experienced with the Ford/Navistar PSDs - I think for the water pump bolts, I would think 15ft-lb as the lowest value and 18 as the highest and aiming to stay between those two extremes is a good compromise and falls within the range of error for most torque wrenches that aren't the dial type. Do check if Ford wants Loctite PST thread sealant on those bolts as well.

Follow dieselsite's instructions for the housing - looks like a nice piece.

As said, exact measurements are overkill. For 4 ratchet with a 4" handle. 3 stages, star pattern. Use a gasket plus non hardening sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back