Dealing with depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
And it requires the one seeking help to take ownership.

The problem is that most people aren't willing to do that. Aren't willing to make changes.

You do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Can't continue to do the same thing and expect different results.

Well folks, i found i need to be taking 5000 i.u.'s of vitamin D according to the doctor. My cholesterol is way lower as well as he took me off that medication. I have been doing more situps and pushups and started lifting. Havent had a beer since last Thursday and been running some this week also. Never realised how much i like experimenting with different veggies in smoothies also. Thanks for the help BITOGERS
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Well folks, i found i need to be taking 5000 i.u.'s of vitamin D according to the doctor. My cholesterol is way lower as well as he took me off that medication. I have been doing more situps and pushups and started lifting. Havent had a beer since last Thursday and been running some this week also. Never realised how much i like experimenting with different veggies in smoothies also. Thanks for the help BITOGERS
smile.gif

GREAT JOB! Way to take the bull by the horns.

Keep it up!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
53 Stude ROCKS!

Thank You sir for the compliment
smile.gif

Well you do. Well as much as a Steelers fan can. Too bad you chosen to limit your coolness factor
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
53 Stude ROCKS!

smile.gif

Well you do. Well as much as a Steelers fan can. Too bad you chosen to limit your coolness factor
wink.gif

Football season is over.
49ers and Raiders have 3 wins each...

Warriors!

Football season is over.
49ers and Raiders have 3 wins each...

Warriors!

It's a crummy time to be a Oakland fan, unless you're rooting for the A's(and they had a heck of a season this year, better than the Giants).

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Exercise, if you aren't already. And, by that, I mean vigorous exercise - not just walking a few blocks. Running or aggressive bicycle riding. You need vigorous exercise to stimulate your cardiovascular system and get your natural endorphins (the body's natural painkillers and mood-enhancing substances) flowing.

Forget treating it with drugs. And stop drinking, or, limit yourself to no more than a couple of drinks per day.

Schedule a trip to the mountains and do some camping and hiking. See some sights. Take a trip somewhere you've always wanted to go. Things like this change your perspective on life.

Do some things to help others who are less fortunate than yourself.

Pray.

Personally, I work for land surveyor so I spend most of the day excercising. I can't run because I'm carrying expensive equipment and sometimes heavy loads, several items at once by myself trying not to drop anything. I am usually moving fairly fast though because the pressure is always on to get all the jobs done. I often feel I have to skip my half an hour lunch break to get the work done.

I also ride my mountain bike in the summer months. Winter time it's harder to stay upbeat. Winter makes being outside not so enjoyable for me. If you're just going for a nice stroll it's one thing but winter makes everything harder to do. Your fingers turn numb when you're trying put a nail in concrete, etc. Just trying to put it in perspective because sometimes people have a hard time imagining something they haven't had to deal with (especially depression for example).

Definitely excercise helps a lot but it's one of the hardest things to want to do if you're dealing with depression and already spent all day working your rear off to make a living, whether you're working physically all day like am, or just have a mentally straining job stuck in the office all day.

First, walking around is not what I'm talking about. I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I also have a physical job, during the course of which I'm walking around between hangars, up and down stairs, crawling through airplanes, carrying and lifting heavy loads, etc. That is not vigorous exercise. It doesn't get your heart rate and breathing rate anywhere near where running (or even jogging) or aggressive biking or weightlifting, etc, does. That's what is required to get your natural endorphins and hormones flowing to get you feeling better.

Your comments about not wanting to get outside in winter, or not wanting to exercise after a long day at work are just excuses. Sorry to put it that way, but they are. We all deal with weather, and we all work hard all day long. If you really want to make changes in your life, you have to make up your mind to get past mental obstacles like weather or thinking youre too tired to exercise.

Another thing I'll say about exercise is that it makes eating much more enjoyable. When you do some vigorous exercise, it makes you much more hungry and your food tastes better. You look forward to meal times and have a better appetite. Not to mention the fact that when you're doing vigorous exercise and you're at a healthy weight, you can eat anything you want and not have to worry about gaining weight. A lot of people get on the miserable cycle of diet, gain, diet, gain, diet, gain, and not being able to eat good-tasting food because they're too worried about their weight. And, for someone like me who loves to eat, that would be a terrible way to live.

I'm not going to argue with anything you said but I will comment that I've never had to worry about what I eat as far as weight goes, I'm 5'11 and always been around 155lbs. The one thing I try not to eat us sugar, because i get migraines frequently and sugar likely makes them even more frequent besides just being bad overall.

Yes maybe I'm making excuses but I will say between the hours I work and chores, other things I need to accomplish there is not a lot of extra time and we all need some relax time I believe. Once I get the extra motivation/time right now my next task is to get out to my friends property, pull my Cutlass out of the barn in winter storage and do the oil change/clean out I didn't have time to do when the snow hit a few weeks back.

Btw, there are loads of good advice in here. I bet if we tried most/all of it we would all find a huge difference.

Most of my current depression stems from mistakes I make or things I forget because of memory issues I have (I'm only 35) and I'm currently attempting to make changes to hopefully help my memory. I've had memory/attention/OCD issues since I was a kid and no I was never treated for it at the time. I drove a frisby around for years as a kid and followed that by spending most of my spare time researching cars or the very few other things I was interested in. I believe the obsessive part of my thought process is the biggest thing affecting my memory but it's hard to break out of it.

I'm not denying what's wrong with me and I know what things could possibly help but for some reason it's still hard. It's easier to see the truth when my mood is good and when my mood is bad I tend to block it out. That's my perception of what's going on anyways.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Btw, there are loads of good advice in here. I bet if we tried most/all of it we would all find a huge difference.

Most of my current depression stems from mistakes I make or things I forget because of memory issues I have (I'm only 35) and I'm currently attempting to make changes to hopefully help my memory. I've had memory/attention/OCD issues since I was a kid and no I was never treated for it at the time. I drove a frisby around for years as a kid and followed that by spending most of my spare time researching cars or the very few other things I was interested in. I believe the obsessive part of my thought process is the biggest thing affecting my memory but it's hard to break out of it.

I'm not denying what's wrong with me and I know what things could possibly help but for some reason it's still hard. It's easier to see the truth when my mood is good and when my mood is bad I tend to block it out. That's my perception of what's going on anyways.

Have you considered this could be a cause of your OCD?

53 Stude ROCKS!

smile.gif

I agree...doing something is better than nothing, any day.

Much respect for anybody who makes changes, because changing yourself and what you do is one of the hardest things.

My world ATM involves more "me" time doing stuff.

Get out of bed earlier...
* 4 rounds of Wim Hof breathing - can get through my daily set-up of War and Order phone game doing those.
* 1 round of mindlessness meditation Wim Hof style (I don't know how "midful" clearing one's head of all thoughts is, so renamed it)
* 1 round of wim hof pushups (how many you can do in one breath after the hyperventilation phase)
* breakfast
* Shower, then straight cold water for 2 minutes.

After work
* 20 minutes at 55-65C in the sauna
* 4 minutes straight cold shower straight after the sauna.

Weekends, I drop the early morning stuff...up the sauna and cold stuff.

Had a pretty intense month work-wise, and received some pretty good commentary on how I handled the stress.

I took a screenshot of your post, I may look up some of those and try them. I have been listening to meditation music before bed/relaxation and/or nature sounds and trying deep breathing.

I forgot how much a sauna seems to help but I have only gotten to experience that a couple times over the years. Luckily twice this past year. My girlfriend and I are looking at getting a hot tub in the future which I think would be a nice relaxation tool also.

Boredom sometimes causes depression.

Same old thing everyday and they (not OP) get stuck in a rut and start to get blue.

Some people are stuck in a dead end:
job, relationship, marriage, career, city, neighborhood, life situation , terrible boss, fake friends / family and need a change.

I know a bitter guy stuck in a dead end marriage, problems with step son / in-laws and hates his job.... yet this idiot and fool will keep complaining for the next 50 years until he finally dies.

Even then, he will be complaining the padding inside the coffin in too hard and wants a different casket. ...•

Sad but true.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Boredom sometimes causes depression.

Same old thing everyday and they (not OP) get stuck in a rut and start to get blue.

Some people are stuck in a dead end:
job, relationship, marriage, career, city, neighborhood, life situation , terrible boss, fake friends / family and need a change.

I know a bitter guy stuck in a dead end marriage, problems with step son / in-laws and hates his job.... yet this idiot and fool will keep complaining for the next 50 years until he finally dies.

Even then, he will be complaining the padding inside the coffin in too hard and wants a different casket. ...•

Sad but true.

This has been the best post. We all are products of our environments,and our surroundings will have a direct effect on our wellbeing and how we feel.

This guy is so bitter inside and unhappy to change because of the unknown....

All I hear is crickets when I ask him why doesn't he make drastic changes in his life. But that unhappiness is slowly killing him.

He would rather be miserable than step back and look at the mess he is in. Its easier to complain and be sour inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back