Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be nice if they would include the HTHS rating, especially for the 5w30 and more information on the add package levels. Not much info in the TDS. Being this oil is promoted as a better choice for hard working gas trucks, you'd think that they would have the hths number included , not that people outside of bitog really look at that, and it should be at the upper limit as well. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
IIRC many of the Shell, Shell Rotella, Pennzoil, and Quaker State oils sold in Canada are blended in Canada, hence 5 liter jugs.

And hence Wakefield's and Imperial Oil's bizarre jug sizes.
wink.gif

Crobinson16: I'd wager you'd still find the HTHS at the lower limit. An ILSAC lube will have HTHS to reflect that. You might be 0.1 or something above the norm, but I wouldn't even want to gamble on that. ILSAC lubes of the same grade tend to be more viscometrically similar than different.

I guess I'm late to the party here and already bought 50qts, yet I don't own a gas truck. Diesel yes. So can this be used in a 4 cylinder auto? I know that's probably a stupid question but I haven't seen it being asked.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I guess I'm late to the party here and already bought 50qts, yet I don't own a gas truck. Diesel yes. So can this be used in a 4 cylinder auto? I know that's probably a stupid question but I haven't seen it being asked.

What specification or approval does your auto require? Does the oil carry that specification or approval?

As long as it's the right grade, it will be fine. I liken it to a slightly stouter PP, or T6 without as much ZDDP.

It is a SN+ oil, it will be fine in any vehicle that can use SN+ oil.
It just supposedly has a little stouter add pack and does not shear as much as other oils.
I will be using it in several 4 cyl "car" motors (Scion, Kia, and Hyundai), as well as some trucks and CUV's,

Since my stash grew tremendously recently and it's 99% RGT I am running it in my focus (4cyl)
right now, and will be running it in my truck at the next oil change.

[Linked Image]

I'm running it in my in-laws Buick Encore with the 1.4l turbo and soon to be in my wife's Chrysler 2.4l multiair. There's a couple of members that are running it in a Honda and a Subaru that I know of. It'll be fine, it seems to be a robust oil with great UOA's.

I put it in an 09 altima oil burner that was using 3/4-1 qt every 1k. The GM tech in the family also dumped a half qt of Lucas synthetic stabilizer in and that was 2k ago and has burnt nothing more than an ounce or two. If this concoction finishes off the engine then it'll give me an excuse to drop a new motor in. My only concern is my son runs this to college and back and that's a five hour drive each way. I don't need this thing imploding somewhere between. It was 8 degrees last week and it started quieter than it ever has but this thing is a vvt engine so I don't wanna go to thick here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
I would not use Lucas oil stabilizer in anything I liked. Your technician should have just used a quart of 15W40.

Not a Lucas guy here by any means but please stop that crap. Lucas is tried and tru and works. Just because there's a couple of videos...one here that probably was pulled by a cease and desist order doesn't mean it doesn't work. To say Lucas doesn't work is as crazy as saying 10k oci intervals and analysis are garbage. It does work and there plenty of proof to prove it.

I won't pour Lucas in my engine but I'll run oil 25k because a place in fort Wayne Indiana made me feel warm and fuzzy that I can run my oil for 5x what the factory manual says I can do. At least Lucas says that their products won't void a warranty. Does blackstone give you a guarantee that if your engine blows up that they'll pay? ‘‘ I need to change my oil but I think I'll send it in for more than an oil change cost to see if I can run said oil longer next time.

Last edited:
I won't pour Lucas in my engine but I'll run oil 25k because a place in fort Wayne Indiana made me feel warm and fuzzy that I can run my oil for 5x what the factory manual says I can do. At least Lucas says that their products won't void a warranty. Does blackstone give you a guarantee that if your engine blows up that they'll pay? ‘‘ I need to change my oil but I think I'll send it in for more than an oil change cost to see if I can run said oil longer next time.

So using Lucas and extending an OCI achieve the same purpose?

I would not use Lucas oil stabilizer in anything I liked. Your technician should have just used a quart of 15W40.
Not a Lucas guy here by any means but please stop that crap. Lucas is tried and tru and works. Just because there's a couple of videos...one here that probably was pulled by a cease and desist order doesn't mean it doesn't work. To say Lucas doesn't work is as crazy as saying 10k oci intervals and analysis are garbage. It does work and there plenty of proof to prove it.

Dave1251 didn't say it doesn't work. He said it's better to use a higher viscosity fully-formulated motor oil rather than diluting your existing additive pack with the Lucas. Which is correct.

Your conspiracy worries and paranoia about a video isn't flying either.

No it's not crazy. Lucas oil stabilizer is nothing special and just dilutes your motor oil. Better off using a thicker oil in the first place.

Look at the VOAs of LOS, they're pretty underwhelming.

However, if it's working for you that's good to hear.

Last edited:
RGT is in my old Freestyle right now at 310k, under new ownership, a friend's daughter. Still going strong and no appreciable difference between it or any other oil I've ran in it. I'm running RGT in my XTerra right now just for fun and to try it out. Been in the truck for 1,516 miles with an orange filter, also to try out for fun. I staunchly use Valvoline and K&N on Asian stuff, but it's fun to try new things. Valvetrain seems a little more noisy in the Nissan than with other oils. I'll still make myself run it out at least 3k and cut the PH7317 when it's done. It only holds 3.5 quarts so I go short on the OCI.

One you don't have the privilege to tell anyone to do anything. Two no harm done does not equal works. Lucas is brightstock group I oil=junk.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=890132#Post890132

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back