Exhaust fumes in cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 toyota Camry Le 2.4. The car shop says that my exhaust system is sealed no leaks yet I get exhaust fumes smell in through the vents when idling. When on recirculating air I smell nothing. I'm wondering what this could be since I had my exhaust manifold gaskets replaced flex pipe catalytic converter when it failed. My car does burn a qt every 600-800 miles. I replaced the plugs a year and a half ago with auto light iridium and made sure they where tightened properly. PCv valve and system is working properly. What could this be?

Last edited:
They said the previous guy that did my catalytic converter stripped one of the bolts and it didn't create a good seal. He even showed me where the gasket leak was on the gasket and the bolt that was stripped. They re tapped the new bolt and reinstalled a new gasket and that was that. I took it back after a few days because the smell came back and they checked it out again and said everything is sealed up. I trust these guys because my family goes to them.

I think I would have a different shop check it out. I had one shop that missed a leaking downpipe from the manifold that was found at another shop.

K. I did forget to mention 2 separate times the flange bolts have loosened up. I went to John the muffler guy to get my flex pipe done. He said the flange bolts were kinda loose. I saw him bolt the flange back up with the impact so maybe that came loose again like it did before. What would you suggest doing to ensure that the bolts don't back out as easily?

Are you absolutely sure its exhaust, and not just oil leaking onto a hot manifold and creating a scent?

That's an awful lot of oil to 'burn' every 600-800 miles. So much so in fact that there's probably nothing left of the emissions systems and oxygen sensor life would be severely compromised.

I had the valve cover replaced awhile back and there doesn't seem to be oil going down in the plug holes or burning on the outside of the engine. I do agree with you about the oil consumption issue.....ive been having to be on top of topping off oil and I changed it every 3,000 since I've had the car. I think it has bad stuck rings.... I did do a piston soak and it went to 800 miles a quart to 1200 and now I'm back to 800.

I did replace the oxygen sensor when I replaced the 3 way catalytic converter but yeh since it's burning alot you're probably right it's probably going to fail at some point.

The crazy part is Ive tried thicker oil hdeo 15w40 and 10w40 it doesn't seem to make a difference in how much it's burning. I'm just running 10w30 in the summer and topping it off as needed.

Have someone hold a rag over the tail pipe and go looking for the leak. It will show itself very easily.

Last edited:
Flange connections to a threaded part like a converter should be done with a stud and nut, not bolted.

High heat destroys Loctite. It is not suitable for exhaust parts.

I did what you said. The leak is in the rear pipe before the muffler. There is a noticeable amount of smoke coming out. It's right by the charcoal canister I wonder if maybe the charcoal canister might have a slight crack and when the fumes come out from the pipe it's sucking I back into the cabin. O didn't notice any smoke coming from the front end so that's sealed up properly including the flange area.

I use hardened steel nuts and 316 stainless steel bolts on my exhaust. No leakage and it comes right apart though the nut should be replaced if removed as it tends to rust on the outside. Stainless nuts with stainless bolts may gall and make removal very difficult. I use flat copper gaskets for the flanges.

Get that pipe replaced. Exhaust coming out anywhere underneath a car is prone to make its way inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back