Squeaky sunroof

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
The sunroof on the GTI is making a ton of noise when closed if the body flexes. I suspect this is due to the car being on the lot all summer long and the rubber needing a little rejuvenation. What's a good lubricant to use on the gasket?

12 month/12k warranty usually on squeaks and rattles.

I know it's a pain to go to the dealer, but if you do something a little different and it doesn't solve it, they might not be thrilled and could blame you. They're a little slimy lol.

Gummi Pflege is the best product for rubber seals. You can use it on all seals and not just automobile ones.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

I know it's a pain to go to the dealer, but if you do something a little different and it doesn't solve it, they might not be thrilled and could blame you. They're a little slimy lol.

A little slimy is the understatement of the year! The dealers here in Phoenix are the worst I've ever dealt with. If the sunroof gasket were as slimy, it wouldn't make noise!

I'll take my chances with cleaning and lubing the rubber over dealing with them, if it doesn't solve it I can always play dumb - I'm a pro at that!
grin2.gif

Ordered the Gummi Pflege.

Originally Posted by dishdude

A little slimy is the understatement of the year! The dealers here in Phoenix are the worst I've ever dealt with. If the sunroof gasket were as slimy, it wouldn't make noise!

I'll take my chances with cleaning and lubing the rubber over dealing with them, if it doesn't solve it I can always play dumb - I'm a pro at that!
grin2.gif

Ordered the Gummi Pflege.

Berge VW is right by my house, in Gilbert, they were great for the years we dealt with them. The least slimy of them all! Just some info for the future if needed.

Berge VW is right by my house, in Gilbert, they were great for the years we dealt with them. The least slimy of them all! Just some info for the future if needed.

Thanks for the heads up, hoping to never return but if I need to I'll keep them in mind.

GM is a fan of Krytox oil for these kinds of things, while Toyota likes their "Castle Yellow Body Grease" which is Molykote YM-103 and Mercedes has a dedicated sunroof lube for the sliders.

Before spending the $ on those or going to the dealership, try some silicone spray or Dow 111/dielectric grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back