Which car to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

My daughter is looking for a new car (currently has 2012 BMW 335i) and is undecided. She can pretty much afford whatever she wants but doesn't want to overspend. She wants a compact sports sedan and likes her current car but it has given a lot of maintenance problems. Cars she is considering: Lexus IS350, Infiniti Q50, Audi A4, Genesis G70, Mercedes C300. She may also look at a top end Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. She does like the convenience of the upscale dealers as she has little time due to her job (corporate Attorney). Any suggestions?

Note: I take care of a lot of the maintenance of her car, but with modern cars you are limited as to what you can do unless you have a lot of experience and tools, plus time. As usual, her husband is not car knowledgeable and is also very busy (dentist).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

JR

I'd go with the Infiniti or Genesis, they are sport sedans with an emphasis on sport.

Lexus IS350 or the GS 350 for a little more interior room. RWD with emphasis on high-quality tires with excellent traction. Also a certified used one will have a nice warranty and an attractive price. Since the sedan market isn't the hot segment right now. So you can get a lot of car for a decent price right now.

Given the list you provided and a good level of cash I'd opt for the Audi first with the Lexus a close 2nd. With the nod to the Audi just because she's used to a European sedan. Both known for their high quality ratings (if you believe the reports about Audi) I'd steer clear of the Infinity, or Mercedes. Nothing wrong with the Toyota or Honda, but if she likes high end and can afford it, more power to her.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I'd go with the Infiniti or Genesis, they are sport sedans with an emphasis on sport.

Took the words right out of my mouth. These two would be on my shortest of short list.

In this order:

IS350
Accord 2.0T
C300

The Camry is not really in the same league. But the new ES350 (the one that just came out) is fairly nice.

There is not a chance that I would consider the Audi or Infiniti. Both of which are fairly poor long-term prospects for cost of ownership.

I vote Lexus as well.

The IS350 is a nice car, this is pure personal opinion; but your daughter should also consider a GS350 F-Sport which has a better interior and more room. The reason I say F-sport is because exterior wise the car with that package has a more aggressive look exterior wise; not to mention the neat looking gauge cluster that in my honest opinion, I think Lexus has mastered compared to the competition; where in other brands, it's just a flat plain LCD screen with no dimension or just generic gauges; Lexus has a depth perception appearance to it, and the gauges even move mechanically.

As far as upscale dealerships; don't know about the Lexus dealerships in her area specifically; but since shes busy - the Dealership should be able to pick her car up for service while delivering a loaner car to her to use if she needs while her car is being serviced.

*EDIT*

Also as The Critic mentioned, which completely dawned on me the new 2019 ES350 is a very nice vehicle that she may also consider.

Last edited:
How about something like the Mazda 6 signature edition? It is a super nice car and Mazda has kept their cars fairly easy to work on. I know the Mazda dealerships around here all either give a courtesy car or will drive you to where you need to go.

At the top of my list would be the Genesis G70 and the Honda Accord Touring with the 2.0T

The G70 would be my vote. Just won COTY from MotorTrend, has a great warranty and should be reliable to boot. The 3.3T, even loaded, is probably $5k less than the competition.

Originally Posted by Rand
The kia stinger looks pretty impressive if she doesnt car about brand name.

She likes good dealers and Kia is well hmmm. Our local one (best in full site) >>> https://www.danobrienkia.com/

Felt like I needed a shower after visiting the Kia dealer but experience differs. Too bad because they have some good cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back