New Tire Cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted in a long time. I have a new set of tires on my ram 2500, (LT265/70-17) and the front passenger side tire is developing cracks on sidewalk all the way around with only 300 miles on tire. They look like cracks in surface rubber only and about 1" from tread, rest of sidewall ok. Pressure is at 65 psi. Date code of tire is 4118 which is as fresh as can be. Never seen this before. Was purchased at Walmart TLE and they were very good at replacing it. Any ideas from tire experts on what could have caused this. Tire balanced and rides nice no other symptoms other than cracking. Three other tires look great.

Last edited:
This is the tire in question.

D6328471-8C71-41EE-AC24-FFA36C14D1DF.jpeg

7A5ED40A-885A-4954-9FBE-8E46FED1FD20.jpeg

Looks like flow cracks, from the manufacturing process. Might be able to get adjustment under warranty?

They are replacing the tire at no cost. I took it to Walmart today. I ordered a new one and it will be replaced on Saturday. Manager said no question this tire is defective. I didn't notice cracks when purchased but they may have been there from the start.

Not sure, Mastercraft tires claim their tires are made here in USA. Looked on tires tonight to check but couldn't see it on sidewall.

I don't think those are flow cracks. Flow cracks tend to be radial or circumferential and those seem to be following a scribe line that is at an angle to the circumferential direction.

I think those are the result of a little bit of crud that has accumulated from the release lube used on the hot molds. Nothing to worry about - other than the appearance.

CapriRacer, I just got concerned when it was different than the other three. Sidewall on that tire seems more rough than others. Crud makes sense because rubber seems rough on sections of sidewall but what got me alarmed was cracks followed sidewall design for 360 degrees.

Originally Posted by robd
Was purchased at Walmart TLE
Probably the beginning, middle, and end of your problem. I used to work in a TLE almost ten years ago. The tires were garbage. Especially if it said "Douglas" or "Viva" on the sidewall, and that certainly hasn't changed (I know, not the case here for that size). When will people realize Walmart sells sub-par tires (not meant to be an insult toward you!)? The only things worth purchasing from Walmart are their batteries and SEALED motor oil on the shelf when there aren't (or are) any good rebates. What tire brand/model was it?

Edit: I typed my reply then closed my browser for several hours and posted when I returned. I see the tire type now. I would say you get what you pay for, but that looks like an issue from when they made the rugged design on the sidewall, not the typical dry-rot cracking. Either way, it seems like poor quality control.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Killer223
i think cooper makes mastercraft.

Yes they do. Every Cooper tire I have owned has cracked.

Last edited:
Seen a lot of old tires have cracks, but these are not the same. Rubber is new and not dry rotted. Looks like defects (cracks) in sidewall that are stretching. Either way any defect could be a stress concentration in future when tire gets older and a more severe crack may form. Will have a new one on Saturday. Really don't like to replace new tire with nubs still on tread.

It's not the brand or the manufacturer.. that's not anywhere close to a "brand new" tire. Based on its apparent condition (at least as far as the pictures show), I'd be willing to bet that it's a "new, old-stock" tire.. and I mean old.

I might even go so far as to say that was likely sold, set aside in the sun for a while, and then returned and then re-sold as new.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Killer223
i think cooper makes mastercraft.

Yes they do. Every Cooper tire I have owned has cracked.

The 2+ year-old cooper tires I have on my Fusion (with over 50,000 miles) look better than that tire does.

Date code 4118 on all four new tires. It's new. I thought the same but date code doesn't lie. Could be defective rubber compounds. Hopefully it will somehow get back to Cooper and they will determine what's up. Like I said other 3 very good and this one even looks different. It will be replaced on Saturday.

Last edited:
Just curious - what do the little rubber nubbins look like on the other 3 tires? The ones on the tire in your pics look worn down more than I would expect on a new tire.

All four about the same, I'll double check later today. Tread still has most of its nubs on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back