2000 Tundra tranny fluid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2000 Tundra (4wd 8cyl) is at 98,000 trouble free miles. It is time for a tranny fluid change (done at 30k and 60k by dealer). My manual says "DexII !!!!!!! or Dex III. I want to do a pan drain and fill instead of paying the $$$ to the dealer. What fluid should I use? I do not know what fluid is dealer installed.

Last edited:
Mobil1 ATF or Amsoil ATF is what you should use. The dealer probably uses the cheapest DEX III they can buy in bulk.

Last edited:
I have a 2000 Tundra V-8 4X4 TRD with 150K miles now. At 120K I thought my tranny was headed for the graveyard. It had always shifted firmly between 2-3 gears, but started to become violent. I decided to get away from the 15K Toyota servicings and found Scheaffer's #204 S-AT to try at 130K (full T-Tech machine flush). It works very well in the Tundra and made most of the shifts very smooth. Then, at 145K, I decided to Auto-Rx the tranny and then flush it again with #204 S-AT. Things couldn't be better with my tranny now and wished I had stopped having Toyota service my tranny much sooner. But, I think I caught it in time and saved $3500 for a new tranny.

Here's some links to what I use:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/204_transmission_fluid.html
Contact our site sponsor, Salesrep, if you want to order this product. He has great prices compared to my previous local source. You will need about 15 quarts to do the flush. Use it to flush your power steering too.

http://auto-rx.com/

Originally Posted By: ZJohnson
My 2000 Tundra (4wd 8cyl) is at 98,000 trouble free miles. It is time for a tranny fluid change (done at 30k and 60k by dealer). My manual says "DexII !!!!!!! or Dex III. I want to do a pan drain and fill instead of paying the $$$ to the dealer. What fluid should I use? I do not know what fluid is dealer installed.

My Taco uses D3 for its spec. Ran Redline D4 and Amsoil Universal ATF both with great results. The Taco doesnt have a filer it has a screen. If yours has a screen just add a magnafine filter in the cooler line.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Is Schaeffer's better than Amsoil ATF? What's the cost when compared to Amsoil?

I can't compare the two operationally, since I haven't tried the AMS ATF. I would expect it to work equally as well though.

I did try the ATD in a botched attempted flush by an incompetent technician though. I had high hopes for the ATD, but ended up with a 50/50 mix with Valvoline synthetic DEX VI. This mix was horrifying. Whatever you choose to go with, make sure you buy plenty of extra ATF if you buy something you can't get locally.

I don't know what the price of #204 S-AT is now. I bought it from Salesrep last Feb for $75/case. My local source quoted me $99/case (12 qts.) Good luck!

I'll add my two cents for the M1 ATF solution. That is what I have been using on both my Toyota transmissions and with a combined 330,000 miles on them, I have been very pleased. Mine spec Dex II or III as well.

There is no Dexron-II. It is long obsolete. Dexron-III is also obsolete, but still being made under names like D-M Or M-D or something else to signify that it met the old specs for GM's Dexron-III and Ford's Mercon (also obsolete). And, the fluid formerly known as Dexron-III is presently made under the spec of Allison TES-389.

Is said above, clean the transmission with Auto-Rx. It slowly, safely, thoroughly cleans everything and reconditions the seals. Then, switch to your choice of a Dexron-III product plus add an external filter. Magnefine or SPXFiltran filters are good.

I have both Amsoil ATF and Schaeffer 204S in the family fleet, and both are excellent. I'd buy Schaeffer again because of the quality and price.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'll add my two cents for the M1 ATF solution. That is what I have been using on both my Toyota transmissions and with a combined 330,000 miles on them, I have been very pleased. Mine spec Dex II or III as well.

I agree the M1 is excellent for Toyota transmissions. It definitely worked well in my dad's Lexus ES300. It had 160K miles when dad sold it, the transmission still worked well.

Eeeerrrrrreeee....opening the coffin on this thread. Just sharing my recent experience since I read this thread prior to changing trans fluid on my recent acquisition 2000 Tundra 4.7 4x4 with 230,000. I decided I wanted to run a non-syn Dex/Merc so I went with Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc. I bought 2 gallons. It works out nice that the drain and fill is right about 4 quarts (typo in early Owners manuals says 2.1qt). It looked to me like the fluid might have been original or not changed in over 100,000+ miles, it was light red/brown.
I did 2 drain and fills with a 20 mile drive in between them, I did see a bit of grit in the drain pan, a magnet wouldn't pick it up though. When I got the truck, the shifts were a bit harsh, now it is very smooth. I think I might do it one more time for good measure, maybe drop the pan and inspect the magnets.

Eric

The early Tundras are great trucks. Ours is a 2001 with 190K trouble free miles.
I don't even hafta put gas in it. My neighbors borrow it and fill 'er up.

I just serviced the transmission with about 3.5 quarts of MaxLife. Really good stuff.
In the past I used Dex but MaxLife is synthetic. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back