Electrical contact cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with electrical contact cleaner?

I'm constantly dealing with bulbs that I believe to be burned out, however it seems like the connection is just bad. If I wiggle the bulb around it will illuminate very briefly and then nothing. Sometimes I can get them to stay lit if I hold the bulb in a very specific orientation, but of course this will not work on the road.

Tail lights, turn signals, parking lights, license plate lights, etc...

This is happening to a handful of different bulbs on different cars. I don't know whether its my environment / climate / location or whatever ??

I use crc electrical cleaner for various tasks. Even the MAF. For connection issues, moisture etc. I use dielectric bulb grease

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I use crc electrical cleaner for various tasks. Even the MAF. For connection issues, moisture etc. I use dielectric bulb grease

This.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. Safe on almost everything.

Do you think this will work for the issue I described?

Is it ok to put dielectric grease in these little bulb sockets ?

I second the use of Deoxit D5. I've been using it for at least 20 years in electronics repair and restoration with very good results. The stuff is expensive, but a little goes a very long way and it does the job.

Last edited:
Use a light coat of grease, such as CRC 05107 Bulb & Connector Dielectric Grease.
But I don't think there's anything special about that particular grease, it's just to show that there is such a thing.

Most electrical contact cleaners I'd classify as plastic-safe brake cleaners and they do nothing for corrosion. Often times the contacts themselves are worn, spread-open, and/or corroded. Usually requiring mechanical cleaning, adjustment of contact or replacement.

The only cleaner I've had some success with is Deoxit. What your describing sounds like loose contacts...

I use crc brand, if the bulbs are halogen install them with tissue paper or a clean towel. Applying a little dielectric grease won't hurt either.

If you can move the bulb and make it flicker, sounds like a loose connection.
Check inside the socket for weak contact areas.

I never had this problem.
I always coated the base of bulb with dielectic-grease / not to make a better connection, but to keep moisture out.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
If you can move the bulb and make it flicker, sounds like a loose connection.
Check inside the socket for weak contact areas

My initial thought was also a loose connection.

But I don't understand it on a relatively new car where the bulbs have never been touched since leaving the factory. How are they worn out or spread too far, etc...?

How would I go about adjusting those little tabs in a very small socket such as the license plate lights?

CELICA_XX ...But I don't understand it on a relatively new car where the bulbs have never been touched since leaving the factory. How are they worn out or spread too far said:
Salt spray and other contaminants in the air can cause corrosion and insulating films.

I avoid cleaners with any ketones such as Ketone or MEK on the labels.

Last edited:
I use CRC QED simply to flush out old crusty dieelectric grease and everything it grabbed over the years, but this product does nothing for the oxidation on the conductive surfaces.

Deoixit is too expensive to use for flushing, but it does allow one to make the cunductive surfaces gleam like polished and oiled gold/brass/copper/tin.

I use precision Swabs and the little den tek intertooth dental brushes to insure the connector is free from any oxidation and contaminents.

On connectors I do not stuff the connector with ZDielectric grease, but I Do use DeOxit shield on the surfaces Deoxit d5 cleaned. After seating the connector I will force dielectric grease around anywhere moisture could enter.

On bulb connections I will use the grease liberally inside the bulb receptacle as it helps transfer heat to the housing. I do not like grease inside the connectors as it can open up the spring loaded connections whether they be pins and barrels or spade contact and quick connects.

Some people see the presence of Dielectric grease in a connector and assume it is obviously still good. The oxidation DeOxit has removed from conductive surfaces slathered with Dielectric grease their whole life, has been astounding in some of the connectors I have been inside of.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
If I wiggle the bulb around it will illuminate very briefly and then nothing. Sometimes I can get them to stay lit if I hold the bulb in a very specific orientation, but of course this will not work on the road.

A bit of advice: contact cleaner doesn't remove surface oxidation from metals.

Clean the contacts well mechanically (an abrasive or brushing) then protect the terminals with grease.

Forget the aerosol cleaner.

Wade through 2 pages of advice and Linctex nails it. Bulbs and sockets were all the same twist lock socket.from 1920s to about 15 yrs ago. Then there were wedge base bulbs. No clue what the Camrys use. Yet
grin2.gif

I am working with 168 / 194 bulbs and the sockets look like this. Unfortunately there is no room to scrub or clean off the contacts.

The car is 3 years old.

[Linked Image]

^ take a piece of very fine sandpaper, cut & fold to fit the socked and just a couple of stroke up & down will clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back